SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's hockey

dakotadan

With the women's hockey team entering the WCHA for the first year, how do you think they will do. Will we have a chance for a wcha title any time soon? How long before we are making room for a women's national championship banner?

The team has had great success in just the first two years and I don't see any reason why that should change. The coaching is solid, we've got two capable goaltenders...besides it's the Sioux...we may not dominate in our first two years, but I don't think it will take long before we'll be hanging NC banners for women's hockey! :D

I don't believe they will be able to offer the full amount of scholarships until the 2007-2008 season. They have had a lot of success so far though, especially considering the lack of available scholarships. So, looking at it with my green glasses, I expect them to win it all anytime now :p:D

Women's hockey would have more credibility if there was checking and they didn't have to give away the tickets to get anyone to go.

You have to give them a chance to get established. Women's hockey will never be as popular as the men, but they are still fun to watch. Of course that may be because the only game I've seen was in a free box with all the free beer I could drink (thanks Nate) .... come to think of it, it could have been a squirt game going on and I'd have had a good time. :D

Seriously, I'd rather watch women's hockey than men's BB. They may not have the scholorships for a few years but the REA is still an impressive recruiting tool.

I believe that the women's program could become successful very quickly, especially as scholarships are added. Once the program starts showing some success, the fans will start showing up and getting behind the ladies. Hey, another Gopher/Sioux series a year is bound to get some attention from fans. :D

Women's hockey schedule. What do you all think?

DATE OPPONENT TIME

Oct. 3 Regina (Exh.)

Oct. 8/9 Minnesota*

Oct. 15/16 at Minnesota-Duluth*

Oct. 22/23 at St. Cloud State*

Oct. 29/30 Ohio State*

Nov. 6/7 Bemidji State*

Nov. 12/13 at Connecticut

Nov. 20/21 Wisconsin*

Nov. 26/27 at Quinnipiac

Dec. 4/5 Minnesota State, Mankato*

Dec. 11/12 at Ohio State*

Jan. 8/9 Vermont

Jan. 14/15 at Minnesota State, Mankato*

Jan. 21/22 at Wisconsin*

Feb. 5/6 Minnesota-Duluth*

Feb. 12/13 at Minnesota*

Feb. 19/20 St. Cloud State*

Feb. 25/26 at Bemidji State*

* - Denotes WCHA game

just remember...UND womens basketball used to be a joke too...but for a few years there (with a few NC's under their belts) THEY were the draw when the mens team sucked. Womens hockey is what it is...either accept it or go watch reruns of Beavis and Butthead (both can be equally entertaining at times)...but their addition to the WWCHA does add some intrigue and interest...I say lets give them a shot!! You can always go watch volleyball in the Betty if you don't like it...(the shorts are tighter there!!)

I am a female hockey player and a sioux fan. I agree womens hockey would be way more entertaining if they let us check. Give the womens team a couple years to get stronger, and then they'll beat the goofers. It might take until Windell graduates though.

Who is your favorite women's hockey player. Mine is Aynsley Allen. She is awesome. Best forward we have.

A tie between Rachel Dusich and Margaret-Ann Hinkley.

Rachel Dusich - Former Apple Valley Eagle!

Margaret-Ann Hinkley - More than doubled playing time last season, greatly improved stats, a bigger frame than Amber Hasbargen, I would expect her to be the #1 again next season.

Alexia Gagnon-Laplante is good too, 4th highest goal scorer, 5th highest in points last season and she was a frosh.