SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstol in? Don't be too sure

PCM

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's now 10:00 Wed. They were supposed to announce that Hakstol gets the job today. Why would they wait if they were not going to open it up externally? The Herald staff should fired and put in the stocks. PCM can take over as editor and the sole reporter and cameraman. The rest of the board members will work the mailroom and presses. The Gopher/Bulldog fans on the board can take over janitorial duties.

I'll give my take on this.

"There are certainly great coaches out there and there are [sioux]alumni coaches who have an interest," Thomas said. "There's also great passion from Sioux fans and UND alumni. We have to evaluate all the candidates and make the very best decision for the future of the program."

Here I believe Thomas is doing some spin control. I believe he's received plenty of input from people like me telling him not to make a hasty decision, whoever the final choice may be.

He's acknowledging that there ARE candidates outside of the internal candidates as has been discussed.

"You go through a search inside or outside or both and then you make a decision," he said.

Asked whether the hiring of an external candidate has been ruled out, Thomas replied, "The possibility is still there. It depends on the internal candidates."

To me this says the ball is still in Hakstol's court.

I believe this is a minor wrinkle in the process that will be ironed out in a short period of time. Hakstol will be the coach, and at least an attempt will be made to make the process look less "hasty".

That's my take.

For me, I was one who wanted to see a full search including outside candidates take place. Since then, I've heard enough about Hakstol to be perfectly comfortable with his selection.

One wildcard: Look at Thomas's quote closely. "It depends on the internal candidates". What if they are having difficulty agreeing on $$? Just conjecture, and I highly doubt it is the case. It's a wrinkle in this process that few if any saw coming, so it is fun to speculate.

This story regarding the head coaching position at UND was just posted on US College Hockey Online. No anonymous sources were included in the writing of this article. :D:p

Hum, thats interesting. Well written article too. I was kind of hoping that we go out side and see how the cards turn up. Funny Sandelin isn't taking himself out of the running to.

Here I believe Thomas is doing some spin control. 

If Hakstol is hired before the end of this week or next week, that will likely be my interpretation, too. Right now, I wouldn't bet on it.

He's acknowledging that there ARE candidates outside of the internal candidates as has been discussed.
More importantly, Thomas says that he's talked to some of those candidates. What's the point of that if the skids are greased for Hakstol to get the job? Shouldn't part of the process be to determine how the internal candidates compare to potential external candidates who've indicated an interest?

To me this says the ball is still in Hakstol's court.

To me it says that if Hakstol emerges as the only viable internal candidate, his experience and qualifications will be measured against potential external candidates.

I believe this is a minor wrinkle in the process that will be ironed out in a short period of time.  Hakstol will be the coach, and at least an attempt will be made to make the process look less "hasty".
I believe it's a mistake to look at Thomas' comments as a mere CYA exercise.

What if they are having difficulty agreeing on $$? Just conjecture, and I highly doubt it is the case.

You're right. It's not the case.

wow...that's really a scoop PCM!! way to go to find that article online...WAIT!!! the author of the article is PATRICK C MILLER...hmmm...PCM...OH - the AUTHOR and the POSTER PROMOTING THE ARTICLE are the SAME PERSON!!! ....seems a little self promotional!! Maybe you're the next Scott Hennen...(you've already got the right wing credentials!!) We'll see...

I would assume if the time limit for the INTERNAL SEARCH has or is about to expire...Rog would have to come out and say..."we're expanding the search on a national level..." That would have to happen very soon...or we're wasting more time and possibly making recruits and current players think twice about attending or coming back to UND. I thought that was the intention of the "fast track" INTERNAL search in the first place....

Well, I imagine that if we don't see an external advertisement for the job in a few days/week it probably will stay internal. Otherwise, if the advertisement shows up we'll have to wait a minimum of 30 days. So we should find out something soon.

Here's a thought. How about everyone just takes a deep breath and relaxes until a head coach is OFFICIALLY named, rather than just speculating and making news out of something that isn't there.

Let due process sort itself out and trust that no one is trying to hide anything from any press types. Trust that UND is not trying to pull a fast one over anyone. Trust that these things take time, especially when you consider how many i's need to be dotted and how many t's need to be crossed during a hiring procedure.

Let's keep in mind, everyone seems to be making an awful lot of fuss over the hiring of A COLLEGE HOCKEY COACH.

But then, who has time for patience, perspective and logic.

To quote George Carlin, "Settle down, have some dip."

wow pcm. your article doesnt have any anon. sources, but it also has no good information. of course rt is going to say that stuff. of course he's gonna do some damage control and not say hakstol is the coach until he is announced. i could tell you everything rt is going to say. when they hire hakstol, he'll say they looked at other coaches and etc, but reality is, they've known since day one hakstol was the guy.

i'll believe the grand forks herald over pcm. they have sources that know what is going on pcm. i'm going to laugh at all of you who are in denial when they announce hakstol the coach.

i really cant believe you think there is the slightest chance they'll hire someone else. i'd love to bet on it. any takers?

wow pcm. your article doesnt have any anon. sources, but it also has no good information. of course rt is going to say that stuff. of course he's gonna do some damage control and not say hakstol is the coach until he is announced. i could tell you everything rt is going to say. when they hire hakstol, he'll say they looked at other coaches and etc, but reality is, they've known since day one hakstol was the guy.

i'll believe the grand forks herald over pcm. they have sources that know what is going on pcm. i'm going to laugh at all of you who are in denial when they announce hakstol the coach.

i really cant believe you think there is the slightest chance they'll hire someone else. i'd love to bet on it. any takers?

You're an idiot.

PCM didn't say anything. He's reporting what Roger Thomas said. The Herald may have sources, but couldn't or wouldn't name them. PCM at least used a source that was identified. That doesn't change anything in the end, but don't portray this as the Herald vs. PCM. I believe PCM is adding to the story.

I've posted links to other USCHO articles that I've written and nobody seemed to have a problem with that. The only reason I posted the link was because I thought some people might be interested to know that Roger Thomas had spoken to other candidates and was aware of their interest.

I don't know who the Herald's source is, but I do know that my source is the person who will ultimately make the head coach hiring decision. Is there any better source than that?

Thomas has never given me a reason to distrust him. But who knows? If Hakstol is named head coach in the next few days, I'll nominate Roger for an Oscar.

PCM, as per your response to my perception of the situation, I'm willing to admit you may well be right. We'll see in the long run. I felt like giving my opinion on what I read at the time I posted that.

Here's the Herald's take on things as of this morning:

Herald Article

UND opened the position to internal candidates only. UND doesn't plan to open it to outside candidates unless it is unhappy with those who apply.

If Hakstol is named head coach in the next few days, I'll nominate Roger for an Oscar.

That's a "statement," PCM... but you did revive my interest in the coach search. I thought Hak had it locked up, but I guess we'll see.

UND has a hiring process. I know that's scary for some because following a process requires diligence and effort and rational thinking. The process always includes looking internally.

"It depends on the internal candidates." -- Imagine the press conference ...

RT: "Hello, I'm UND AD Roger Thomas. We posted this position internally and got one application so we hired him."

Press Corps: :p

"There are certainly great coaches out there and there are [sioux] alumni coaches who have an interest," Thomas said. "There's also great passion from Sioux fans and UND alumni. We have to evaluate all the candidates and make the very best decision for the future of the program."

" ... all the candidates ... " -- All internal? All one? The UND process always looks internally. It can go external, but it "depends on the internal candidates." Wouldn't you think "number of applying candidates" would be a factor? How do you compare one application?

Who externally might have an interest? I don't know. Let me guess:

- A guy with two National Championship rings as a Sioux assistant, who's gone on to coach a Hobey Baker winner and taken his team to a Frozen Four?

- A guy who has two Clark Cup championships, three Anderson Cup championships, guided the 1998 USHL Select Team to a gold medal at the Four Nations Tournament, has received three USHL Coach of the Year Awards, and won the 2003 Tier 1 National Championship?

- How about the coach of the 2003 ECHL champions?

Let's get more (admittedly) bizarre:

- How about a guy who has exceeded the "life expectancy" of any previous head coach in his position, has coached Canadian national teams, and who has a son on the team?

You have to take follow the process and take an honest look around. That's exactly what RT said he is doing. Scary, isn't it. :D

And as far as Patrick C. Miller's USCHO story, he has hard, attributed quotes directly from the man who makes the final decision, Roger Thomas. Miller makes no bold statements as to where the process is at, just that it is under way. The Herald had "no call happened" quotes from Thomas and Hakstol yet goes with their "it's Hakstol" story based on an anonymous source. Someone has a credibility gap, or at least leaves themselves open to question, and in this case it's not Patrick C. Miller.

I think "deeks pizza" is really Doreen Yellowbird in drag. :D

Anyway, the fact that Pat was able to get direct quote from Thomas on the search, such as it is, beats an "anonymous" source any day of the week. Moreove, I think it's telling that Thomas acknowledges the "rumblings" of alums and boosters who favor a wider search, as well as that he's already talked to others interested in the job. Even if Hakstol gets the job at the end, a position of this caliber should not be some "rubber stamp" affair. Hell, even Harvard looked at other candidates before filling their slot.

I think "deeks pizza" is really Doreen Yellowbird in drag. :D

Anyway, the fact that Pat was able to get direct quote from Thomas on the search, such as it is, beats an "anonymous" source any day of the week. Moreove, I think it's telling that Thomas acknowledges the "rumblings" of alums and boosters who favor a wider search, as well as that he's already talked to others interested in the job. Even if Hakstol gets the job at the end, a position of this caliber should not be some "rubber stamp" affair. Hell, even Harvard looked at other candidates before filling their slot.

Deeks Pizza is a troll. :p Probably a disgrunted Gopher Fan.

I have hired many people at UND. You must go internal first. My experience is that if you only have one applicant, you are not able to do a proper search and it must go then either be readvertised internally, or go external. If that is the case, the internal applicant will be looked at with the external applicants.

From my experience, PCM's story is very credible and sounds exactly like what I would expect due to the procedures UND has in place for all positions of this nature. I would be very suprised if they hired with only one resume but then you never know what can happen.

PCM is credible. Deeks is a moron. Plain and simple.

I'll go on record in saying that I'll believe what the AD says over what the Herald says any day of the week. If PCM talkes to Roger and the Herald doesn't reveal the same, then obviously I'll believe PCM.

Deeks- Here's a reality check, maybe you are in denial over. THE HERALD DOESN'T HIRE UND HEAD COACHES. Herald is #2 (if that high) to Roger Thomas, pal. Get over it.

The rest of the board members will work the mailroom and presses. The Gopher/Bulldog fans on the board can take over janitorial duties.

I'll only do it if I get the title "Chief Custodial Engineer" and I must get business cards and letterhead saying so.

Honestly it was Virg Foss who wrote the original proclamation right?

I don't even need PCM's article talking to the principle decision maker to know it still had a 50/50 chance of being Hakstol vs. someone else.

Those odds were good enough for the Herald obviously.

you guys can't be serious. you are saying rt is the best source because he's responsible for hiring? rt can't and won't say anything until the coach is hired.

good reporters use anon. sources. look at ESPN, david aldrige always quotes anon sources when reporting stories about new nba coaches. same with guys like len pasquarelli when reporting in the nfl. its because when you go to the guy responsible for the hiring, he ISNT GOING TO SAY ANYTHING before it actually happens. that's why they have sources inside, who are willing to say it. all the good reporters find credible sources and use them. look at all breaking news stories, and i bet most of them use credible anon. scources.

the herald obviously must have more sources built up than pcm. i know pcm doesnt believe in using anon sources, but he must not believe in breaking stories either. that's why he didnt break a story in this case, and the herald did.

we'll see in the coming weeks, who is right. in the meantime, anyone care to put money down on it with me? if you dont want to pcm, go write your oscar nomination instead.