SiouxSports.com Forum

Would we let them back?

snaggles

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no turning back for them...they're stuck at DI (and don't kid yourself- aa level) now for better or worse. They'll suck at almost every sport, except maybe football and wrestling, scratch every orifice for money, and barely survive but always be able to say..."WE'RE DI!!!"...and never get a sniff of a MAJOR DI National Championship (sorry...a DI-aa football championship is like Division II in the world of big college football - like it or not....)

There's no turning back for them...they're stuck at DI (and don't kid yourself- aa level) now for better or worse. They'll suck at almost every sport, except maybe football and wrestling, scratch every orifice for money, and barely survive but always be able to say..."WE'RE DI!!!"...and never get a sniff of a MAJOR DI National Championship (sorry...a DI-aa football championship is like Division II in the world of big college football - like it or not....)

Only about 2 more years until UND goes Division I, according to Dale Lennon.

I'd like to know where you got this information.

The link is expired, but the quote is from the article.

UND92,96 Posted on: Feb 5 2003, 07:10 PM

Replies: 68

Views: 3618  Here's a link to an article about UND signee Donovan Alexander:

Alexander

The article says he was offered a scholarship by Nebraska late in the recruiting process so he's evidently a very good prospect.

This was the other interesting statement in the article:

"Lennon came to Winnipeg and had dinner at the Alexander household. He also told his recruit that the blueprints for an indoor practice facility have been drawn up and a move up to Division I could happen within the next three years."

Only about 2 more years until UND goes Division I, according to Dale Lennon.

I'd bet my next paycheck on the possibility that UND is a D1 school in all sports within 5 years. The NC$$ seems bent on squeezing bigger D2 schools up a level, and I think it makes sense at some level, given how much money we are pouring into facilities, even if the economics are pretty spotty.

I don't think the fuindraising will be a problem. The out of state alumni seem to really be digging into thier pockets to fund this. The people that are out of state understand more that most the importance of this move and the significance of it. I am sure NDSU will have little trouble meeting the 7.7 million dollar budget.

Bison Needs/Progress:

$1.5 annually - Budget increase - $ 1 million short

$ 15 mill - Athletic Endowment - no progress made

$ 20 mill - Facilities Improvement (BSA) - all talk, no walk

$ 2-3 mill Media(In-house production/Cable/Internet/Magazine) - Fargo Forum does double duty!

Total needs over next five years over and above previous budgets: $45 million

Total progress: :D

New 2004 Bison motto: “Fear Has a New Face: $$Benjamins$$ !! “ ;)???

Sioux Checklist:

Budget: check

Endowment: Bollinger working

Facilities Improvement: check (but more to come)

Media: check

Who would you bet on? The Hare or the Tortoise?

Bison Needs/Progress:

$1.5 annually - Budget increase - $ 1 million short

$ 15 mill - Athletic Endowment - no progress made

$ 20 mill - Facilities Improvement (BSA) - all talk, no walk

$ 2-3 mill Media(In-house production/Cable/Internet/Magazine) - Fargo Forum does double duty!

Total needs over next five years over and above previous budgets: $45 million

Total progress: ???

New 2004 Bison motto:

I can't remember the exact quote, but it was something along the lines of Lennon promised or guaranteed that UND would be Division I within three years. Pretty strong wording, whatever it was.

... a move up to Division I could happen within the next three years.
"Could"? "Could" is strong wording?

Then the wording of this must be on stone tables:

The Consultants recommend that the University begin the transition process, but only after it has achieved the following: ...

Secure an acceptable conference membership before making the decision to reclassify to I-AA. -- Carr Sports Associates to NDSU

... how does that roof over Memorial Stadium look

I'll answer for "star2city": About the same as the one over Dakota Field. But the roof on Alerus Center is just fine over the top of the only NCAA football championship in the state where the year starts with a "2". :D

PS - In terms of space and facilities upgrades The Betty is a higher priority. (Be sure to check out the construction photos. ??? )

.. a move up to Division I could happen within the next three years.
-Dale Lennon Head Football Coach UND to a recruit.

The Consultants recommend that the University begin the transition process, but only after it has achieved the following: ...

Secure an acceptable conference membership before making the decision to reclassify to I-AA.

-Carr Sports Associates

UND move up to Divison I.......?

I-AA conference is secured :D

Note the use of the term "projected" in the link you proved. There's a difference between wishful thinking and reality. On the OEP.gov site UND lost nearly $390,000 for 2002-2003.

And NDSU lost six-figures during the same reporting period as well.

Now for FY05 NDSU projects a seven-figure shortfall that is 2.5 times UND's FY03 number.

And as much fun as the budgetary number are, I prefer the Title IX numbers on that site.

And as far as "wishful thinking and reality" there's a million or so things NDSU needs to come up with. Really.

And now we're back to fictional numbers. :D

star2city made the claim that UND's budget was in better shape to make a transition to DI. Add an extra $1M for travel and increased scholarships, and it doesn't look so great. I guess we'll have to wait for the official 2003-2004 numbers and quit talking about budget proposals.

And now we're back to fictional numbers.

NDSU's six-figure FY03 debt isn't fictional. (Same source you cited.)

However, if the numbers are fictional, why'd NDSU take Inniger away from endowment building and put him on immediate needs solicitations? :D

BisonMav: You've locked onto one quote by Dale Lennon that doesn't align with the stated position of his boss and his boss' boss.

As opposed to being locked into what the Carr Report stated, that doesn't exactly align with their boss (client). :D