SiouxSports.com Forum

Raising admission standards

mikejm

This is just structures I'm talking about not the actual academic programs. There in my opinion NDSU has better engineering, hard sciences, computer science, music, and athletic training programs.

Jloos-

Not that this is the focus of the topic but:

I was just curious as to why you feel that NDSU would have a better athletic training program? Have you experienced UND's first hand?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think NDSU easily beats out UND on the facilities. 

WARNING! Shameless, self-serving plug alert. I don't see the UND School of Medicine and Health Sciences mentioned in this discussion. That part of campus has some very nice academic facilities.

NDSU also has better crop and weed sciences, equine (horses) studies-majors.  No Joke.

My Grandpa was Dean of Animal and Range sciences, don't go there. :sad: Actually the entire AG program is top notch at NDSU. The AG program gave science majors like myself a chance to have plenty of things to cut open. ;) I'm realizing this whole debate is rather dumb, everyone is going to have a different idea of what is "better". My arguments were on facilities, not actual programs.

Yes I've seen UND and NDSU's athletic training facilities - sorry but NDSU's are much nicer*, that does not meen the program itself is better, I would have no idea (although it seems Sioux athletes are rarely hurt). Hopefully when the new wellness center is built they include some athletic training rooms.

*This was before the new REA was built - if they moved the entire program into the training rooms of the REA I imagine UND would have a step up, actually a few flights up.

PCM, I gave credit to UND for its health science facilities. I'm talking overall - facts are SU has better academic facilities. Personally I think they are spending money they don't have, many of their improvements make no sense. Still I don't see any construction on the UND campus. Next time your in Fargo drive behind the dome, most of those building were not there when I graduated (less than 5 years ago).

Edited by jloos

Next time your in Fargo drive behind the dome, most of those building were not there when I graduated (less than 5 years ago).

Those buildings "behind" FargoDome (I assume you mean west) aren't academics buildings for NDSU. At least one is a private company. Another houses some NDSU offices for research administration. You don't see students come and go from them.

In the last couple years the Med School has added (or is in the process of adding) at least two new buildings to their facilities...

The Energy and Environmental Research Center recently broke ground on new facilities...

The American Indian Services recently broke ground on their new facility...

The Memorial Union just finished a $3 million renovation, and is redoing the food court this summer...

There is an Entreprenuership Center being built near Ryan Hall...

Those buildings "behind" FargoDome (I assume you mean west) aren't academics buildings for NDSU. At least one is a private company. Another houses some NDSU offices for research administration. You don't see students come and go from them.

I believe one of the buildings is Phoenix International.

In the last couple years the Med School has added (or is in the process of adding) at least two new buildings to their facilities...

The Energy and Environmental Research Center recently broke ground on new facilities...

The American Indian Services recently broke ground on their new facility...

The Memorial Union just finished a $3 million renovation, and is redoing the food court this summer...

There is an Entreprenuership Center being built near Ryan Hall...

Did you mean the EERC recently broke ground OR recently finished?

Last summer I toured all of the new buildings at SU - some Alumni thing - basically it was like talking to those people trying to sell you time share condo's. NDSU will never get a dime from me, for reasons too long to go into here.

Anyway - one building is a new student wellness center. The tech park is a mix of private businesses and school buildings. The idea is to get students to work with these companies. Most are grad students doing various research - in exchange for getting some cheap student labor the companies give NDSU lab time.

Look I already said UND is the better school. I learned my lesson and will never attend NDSU again.

The med school is very nice, the Union is renovated, but NDSU's is still much nicer. All I'm saying is overall NDSU is expanding and renovating more than UND. Having attended both schools in my opinion, overall, NDSU has much nicer academic facilities.

Maybe we should get an independent investigation.

PCM - What's up with all the med school weenies, even with a former Sioux running back (as I was told) they were destroyed in the malpractice bowl. Don't even need to mention their hockey team - apparently not a lot of athletes go to med school. ;)

No comments on the Office Space picture? The movie is hilarious for those that haven't seen it.

Sicatoka,

This is what the buildings in the NDSU Research Technology Park are used for. The fourth building and the building for Alien Technology are still in the works.

The park's cornerstone tenant, Phoenix International Corp., Fargo, a John Deere company, occupies the first of four planned buildings, which provides laboratory and office space for 320 employees. This rapidly growing company was considering expanding outside of North Dakota, but was excited at the opportunity to remain in the area.

Two of the buildings will be used by NDSU researchers and staff. The first, Research I, includes "wet lab" facilities and Net-wired areas, and houses a variety of programs and departments, including the Department of Polymers and Coatings. Another building will be used for nanotechnology research and development.

The fourth building will be designed as a business and technology incubator. New and emerging companies

Davis did not leave because of any problems. He left to take over a program that was trying to get accredited when a student went postal and killed the Dean.

It didn't help his chances at UND when he allowed certain faculty members to get embroiled in the "Name Debate" and effectively represent the entire school as opposing the Sioux name and logo. Well that, and said faculty members rescinding the Bar recommendations of students who opposed their views and the whole mess. Good f'ing riddance to him, maybe I'll actually send them some money in the future.

FWIW: I have a law degree from UND and an MBA from St. Thomas. I'd put my lawyering and financial skills against anybody from the Ivies, Chicago, Minnie, etc., as well as my paycheck, options, etc.

It didn't help his chances at UND when he allowed certain faculty members to get embroiled in the "Name Debate" and effectively represent the entire school as opposing the Sioux name and logo. Well that, and said faculty members rescinding the Bar recommendations of students who opposed their views and the whole mess. Good f'ing riddance to him, maybe I'll actually send them some money in the future.

FWIW: I have a law degree from UND and an MBA from St. Thomas. I'd put my lawyering and financial skills against anybody from the Ivies, Chicago, Minnie, etc., as well as my paycheck, options, etc.

I wasn't aware of the Sioux name situation with him, you would think he graduated from Harvard, not Yale. The interim Dean - Zeirdt has similar leanings, but doesn't make them known to everyone. Not sure about the new Dean, he sounds pretty moderate for a law professor.

I'd put my lawyering and financial skills against anybody from the Ivies, Chicago, Minnie, etc., as well as my paycheck, options, etc.

Are you looking for a competent young associate? ;)

This is what the buildings in the NDSU Research Technology Park are used for. The fourth building and the building for Alien Technology are still in the works.

I'm well aware of what all those building are for.

I'm also aware that Alien Tech. recently put off start of construction for six months and that Research II seems have been under construction for a long time. However, Dr. Chapman has a very nice second office in Research I. ;)

I'm well aware of what all those building are for.

I'm also aware that Alien Tech. recently put off start of construction for six months and that Research II seems have been under construction for a long time. However, Dr. Chapman has a very nice second office in Research I. ;)

Research II was finished at least a month ago. Alien Technologies pushed back the date for their new building because they wanted to start production in Fargo immediately, and there was no way their facility could be built in that timeframe.

Yes, Dr. Chapman's second office is nice. I believe that's maple in there. :sad:

Yes, Dr. Chapman's second office is nice. I believe that's maple in there. ;)

Actually, why would you stain maple that color?

I believe it's cherry or mahogany. I'll look more carefully next time I'm near there and compare it to my solid cherry cabinetry at home. :sad:

Actually, why would you stain maple that color?

I believe it's cherry or mahogany. I'll look more carefully next time I'm near there and compare it to my solid cherry cabinetry at home. :sad:

Here, I forgot these: [JOKE][/JOKE]

I guess the ' :D ' wasn't sufficient.