SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting in High School Hockey

shanleycheats

Is recruiting fair to public schools?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Is recruiting fair to public schools?

• Yes
    • No

Schools like Breck, Blake, Benilde St. Margarets, Holy Angels are already runing Minnesota High School Hockey by recruiting. Schools like Red Wing, Eveleth, and Duluth Central would always make an apperance in St. Paul, until people decided championships were more important than loyalty. Ever since Holy Angels started making the tournament we've seen less of other storied programs like Bloomington Jefferson, Edina, and Apple Valley who used to be perennials. Since 1999 six private schools have captured State Championship crowns in Class A or AA. That is an average of one a year. Thats six less Warroad vs. Red Wing, or Apple Valley and Duluth East, than we could have watched. 2003 is gonna be a rare year in which two non-private schools won. We were treated to Anoka beating Roseville, and Warroad beating Orono. I was thinking about mentioning this years Class AA game but Moorhead is just as guilty as the other private schools. Cory Loos was a sophomore captain of the Fargo North Spartans last during the 2002-2003 season, and likely a potential Mr. Hockey Finalist in the 2004-05 season. Instead he abandons the spartans and moves 15 minutes away to play for the Spuds. Another example of recruiting would be the Fargo Shanley Deacons. This school has players the played for them last year that can be traced back to Minot, West Fargo, Grand Forks, and Sioux Falls (SD) just the year before. It seems funny how they end up on Shanley's doorstep. I have no problem with people sending their kids to a school based on their religious or to benefit them academically, but to send them their to better your chancing of winning is sad and ruins hockey across the state. Congratulations to the Centennial Cougars and the Grand Forks Central Knights on winning State Championships the right way, by building players in your youth programs.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i say we nominate shanleycheats for president.

After all the information he had to back up his argument he'd be the best candidate for president.

He was a little rough by singling out Cory Loos but at least he had the balls to say it.

Hopefully he continues to put informative and contraversial topics on here

for that one person who voted it is fair for the schools to recruit u r dumb. there is no way its fair. the other schools cant compete with that. the smalls towns will suffer if this trend continues.

Ok, I went to Benilde. The thing that nobody here realizes is that we don't have our own school district. Every student that goes to these schools is recruited in some way or another, whether an athlete or not. You are all obviously not informed on the topic, please refrain from commenting. I like how shanleycheats signed up just to start this thread. Moving across the state is one thing, but the players at the private schools (all I can speak for is BSM) all live in the general vicinity (the people who commuted the longest when I was in school didn't even play sports. Has it ever occured to all of you that maybe, just maybe, they came to the school for a good education, as well as working on their game with some well known coaches? Probably not. :D

BTW...way to steal a quote from my sig line ;)

Schools like Breck, Blake, Benilde St. Margarets, Holy Angels are already runing Minnesota High School Hockey by recruiting. Schools like Red Wing, Eveleth, and Duluth Central would always make an apperance in St. Paul, until people decided championships were more important than loyalty. Ever since Holy Angels started making the tournament we've seen less of other storied programs like Bloomington Jefferson, Edina, and Apple Valley who used to be perennials. Since 1999 six private schools have captured State Championship crowns in Class A or AA. That is an average of one a year. Thats six less Warroad vs. Red Wing, or Apple Valley and Duluth East, than we could have watched. 2003 is gonna be a rare year in which two non-private schools won. We were treated to Anoka beating Roseville, and Warroad beating Orono. I was thinking about mentioning this years Class AA game but Moorhead is just as guilty as the other private schools. Cory Loos was a sophomore captain of the Fargo North Spartans last during the 2002-2003 season, and likely a potential Mr. Hockey Finalist in the 2004-05 season. Instead he abandons the spartans and moves 15 minutes away to play for the Spuds. Another example of recruiting would be the Fargo Shanley Deacons. This school has players the played for them last year that can be traced back to Minot, West Fargo, Grand Forks, and Sioux Falls (SD) just the year before. It seems funny how they end up on Shanley's doorstep. I have no problem with people sending their kids to a school based on their religious or to benefit them academically, but to send them their to better your chancing of winning is sad and ruins hockey across the state. Congratulations to the Centennial Cougars and the Grand Forks Central Knights on winning State Championships the right way, by building players in your youth programs.

So sending one's child to a school for religious reasons or to benefit from that school's higher academic standards is acceptable, but to send a child to a different school with the goal of achieving higher athletic standards is not acceptable? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. :D skateshattrick, I bet you have some things to say about this topic!

Considering six players from 2004's UND squad were arguably recruited by/to SSM you must have had issues with 1/4 of the team this past season?

BTW, the Lamoureux family has played a BIG role in GF Central's recent hockey success and they live in the south end of GF, which is RR's jurisdiction so your final argument doesn't carry any weight except with phoenixin05 - then again, aren't you and phoenixin05 the same poster using a different username?

What an absolute bunch of garbage. :D Who are you referring to at Shanley that they "recruited?" Pete Fylling came to Fargo because he was not going to get a chance to play at Minot. Since there were very few other options, what would you have him do? Get cut? Kyle Graalum has been in the Fargo Catholic network since he was a boy. However, Shanley did not have a hockey program, so it co-opted with West Fargo. The ONLY reason he was at West Fargo was because of the co-op. He lives in South Fargo. He was not going to South because: 1. he was in the Catholic network and 2. his family had an issue with Dean Wilson because Dean cut his cousin as a senior (who by the way was good enough to play for the Ice Sharks). The South Dakota kids (Hitt and Engdahl) came because SD does not have high school hockey. Butch Blahovsky has always been in the Catholic school network and was only at West Fargo because of the co-op.

I challenge you to name one kid that left from South, North, West Fargo, etc. that would have been given a fair chance to play at their schools. I know you cannot, so perhaps you should stick to the facts before you spout off about things that you do not know. ;) Besides, would you prefer that all of the kids stay in the public school districts and risk the chance of getting cut? For whose benefit is that? South, for example, has over 600 kids per class.

What does Cory Loos have anything to do with your argument? He actually moved to Moorhead, which is a PUBLIC school. Even if he did move to play hockey, how can you blame him? He went from a team that did not have much of a chance of winning a state title in ND, to a program that had a legitimate chance to win the Minnesota state title, which is a much bigger deal if you want to get noticed and play at the next level.

To show how inconsistent and weak your argument is, you actually congratulate Central. Grand Forks has open enrollment, and without South end kids going to play for them (e.g. Lamoureaux's), Red River would probably still be winning state titles and Central would not be as good. It is called numbers. However, I'm sure that fact escaped you since you seem to rely strictly upon emotion without knowing the facts. ;) Minnesota also has open enrollment, and Centennial is made up of kids from a number of towns. Get your facts straight before you rant.

for that one person who voted it is fair for the schools to recruit u r dumb. there is no way its fair. the other schools cant compete with that. the smalls towns will suffer if this trend continues.

When you get out of diapers in a few years, please feel free to post. Until then, please spare us your immature and uninformed comments. :D

This is from the same person who said Pete Fylling "blows", a really mature thing to say about a really good kid who was also good enough to score a goal at the Chicago Showcase.

Cory Loos was a sophomore captain of the Fargo North Spartans last during the 2002-2003 season, and likely a potential Mr. Hockey Finalist in the 2004-05 season. Instead he abandons the spartans and moves 15 minutes away to play for the Spuds. Another example of recruiting would be the Fargo Shanley Deacons. This school has players the played for them last year that can be traced back to Minot, West Fargo, Grand Forks, and Sioux Falls (SD) just the year before.

I think Skateshattrick summed things up pretty well. The main thing with Cory is North's hockey program is terrible. Smith has no control over the players, they are expected to coach themselves. During his Sophomore season many of his teamates could be seen smoking in the alley between the Coliseum and Teamsters. A couple players were suspended a few weeks after overdosing on extacy.

Why would a kid that has a good chance of playing D1 hockey piss away his chance by not being able to develop at a poor program? By the way Moorhead did not recruit him, his family was moving anyway and decided to move to Moorhead so Cory could have a chance to develop his skills. He had to try out just like everyone else and even played a few periods of JV early in the year.

As far as private schools go, MN puts most of them in the same section so they have a very difficult time making it to state.

Shanley did not 'take' any players away from other programs. These kids are Catholic and went to Shanley more for the Catholic school experience. Some of these kids are also students at Oak Grove. West Fargo was dropping the Co-Op because they were having to cut too many kids and parents were complaining. If Shanley didn't start a team these kids were either going to Co-Op w/ Wahpeton or be SOL. Fargo has needed another high school team for years. Shanley has done a great job filling that void.

I challenge you to name one kid that left from South, North, West Fargo, etc. that would have been given a fair chance to play at their schools. :D

I hate to get in the middle of this since I dont have much of an opionin, BUT does the name Danny Irmen rign any bells. I am guessing he could have played anywhere. DO some investigating Where did he start his high school career adn where did he finish it? Funny his parents never moved.

Thank you for making my point! ;) Danny Irmen went to Red River, another PUBLIC school because of open enrollment. He did not go to Shanley. The point of my message was and is: name a kid attending SHANLEY that Shanley recruited and would have been given a fair chance to play at the public school where he lived?

Is it fair? NO.

However, life is not fair. Private schools, in general provide better education, this is from someone who was educated in the public school system. So maybe the choice to switch schools after being recruited is to benefit the student BOTH academically and athletically.

You can't include Warroad on the list of good public schools. They've done a ton of recruiting. After Section 8 teams threatened to boycott all Warroad games about 10 years ago, they settled done a little, but the last few years they've been up to their old tricks.

For jloos to say that I can't name one kid Shanley has recruited is horrible. I'm here to accept his "challenge".

1) Sean Deichert, 9th grade goaltender for Fargo South. (he transferred early in the hockey season)

2) Mark Harrie, 10th grade letter winner for the Deacons. A year earlier he played for the Bruins feeder program the Fargo Flyers. He is said to be going back to South this coming year.

3) Trevor Anderson, 9th grade defensman whose brother played for West Fargo just a year earlier. Less than a month after the season concluded he transfered back to West Fargo and will play for the Packers next season.

4) Elliot Hitt, one of Shanley's better players last season, played in Sioux Falls, South Dakota the previous season along with goaltender Derek Engdahl.

Those are just a few that have been involved with other programs prior to their stint with the Deacons.

This is an interesting topic. I played with a kid in Minot who transfered to Red River right after tryouts got over. He didn't make our varsity, so he went like the next week to Red River and he made like their second line. In his three years at Red River he helped them win two state championships. Red River is just as guilty as the private schools of recruiting players. Grafton Park River got a kid from Williston when they won state a couple of years back. The kid won a state tennis title at Williston in the Fall, and then won a state hockey title in the Winter, sounds pretty fishy to me..... :D

I don't really mind when private schools have in-state transfers, but its when they go out of state that it starts to bother me.

For jloos to say that I can't name one kid Shanley has recruited is horrible. I'm here to accept his "challenge".

1) Sean Deichert, 9th grade goaltender for Fargo South. (he transferred early in the hockey season)

2) Mark Harrie, 10th grade letter winner for the Deacons. A year earlier he played for the Bruins feeder program the Fargo Flyers. He is said to be going back to South this coming year.

3) Trevor Anderson, 9th grade defensman whose brother played for West Fargo just a year earlier. Less than a month after the season concluded he transfered back to West Fargo and will play for the Packers next season.

4) Elliot Hitt, one of Shanley's better players last season, played in Sioux Falls, South Dakota the previous season along with goaltender Derek Engdahl.

Those are just a few that have been involved with other programs prior to their stint with the Deacons.

Man, you are a dope! You are engaged in a "debate" with the father to one of the players on your list (and no it isn't jloos). And, I am guessing the father of that player has a little more insight into the situation than you do.

btw, you are doing a terrible job of disguising the fact that you are using several different usernames.

Man, you are a dope! You are engaged in a "debate" with the father to one of the players on your list (and no it isn't jloos). And, I am guessing the father of that player has a little more insight into the situation than you do.

btw, you are doing a terrible job of disguising the fact that you are using several different usernames.

Thank you for the early morning laugh ... this one is just priceless.

Sean Deichert was in the Catholic school network. He actually transferred over to South because his father Tony wanted to coach him (he's the goalie coach at South) and because Shanley holds later practices. Some would say that Dean Wilson actually recruited Sean, who was in the Catholic school network his whole life.

Marc Harrie was not recruited, he has been a Burggraf kid since he was a squirt, and is not going back to South.

Trevor Anderson came to Shanley on his own because he has been in Burggraf since he was very young. He did return to West Fargo for a variety of reasons that have little to do with Shanley and more to do with missing his friends and girlfriend and academic issues.

Elliot Hitt came because they did not have high school hockey in Sioux Falls.

Would you care to go on? :D

So his parents moved across the state just so he could play on a different HS hockey team? I have kids who play hockey and hopefully they will be good enough to make the varsity at South someday. If they get cut I would let them transfer to North if that's what it takes to get them on a team, but I'll be damned if I'm going to move my whole family to a different town. That's just beyond ridiculous!!! :D

It sounds like you are talking about Krebsbach. I agree, but what other options did he have if he wanted to play high school hockey? The next closest towns are Williston and Devils Lake, not exactly perennial hockey powerhouses. If he was good enough to play in Grand Forks, why not?

This is an interesting topic.  I played with a kid in Minot who transfered to Red River right after tryouts got over.  He didn't make our varsity, so he went like the next week to Red River and he made like their second line.  In his three years at Red River he helped them win two state championships.  Red River is just as guilty as the private schools of recruiting players.  Grafton Park River got a kid from Williston when they won state a couple of years back.  The kid won a state tennis title at Williston in the Fall, and then won a state hockey title in the Winter, sounds pretty fishy to me..... :D

I don't really mind when private schools have in-state transfers, but its when they go out of state that it starts to bother me.

So how did Kresbach not make varisty on Minot's team? Sounds like Samson made a pretty big mistake there.

I don't have a problem with players moving to a different high school in their same town (provided they are not doing this all the time), but I don't like to see them switching cities for hockey only.