SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Roster

SockeyeSioux

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad about him getting booted, especially as it was his responsibility to get in/stay in shape in the offseason. Then again, it is pretty consistent with what Blais expects of his players. If they work hard and contribute, he'll give them a chance on the roster. If not ...

Is there a source for this? Just how out of shape was he that Blais didn't think he could be ready for the season? Does the ironman competion determine the roster? How exactly does it work? It's such a change from Chris, usually during the off season he's working out, so it's rather surprising to me that he's let himself go.

Edited to add, I'm not doubting this, I'd just like to see the article or find out the source, I've been following Fournier hockey career since he was a 15 yr old playing for Lincoln and would like more information about this.

It is disappointing to hear this about Fournier. For guy who was a USHL player of the year and a 1st team all star to suddenly get cut, that really stings. I thought he would be a big cog to the team this year because he seems to be a pretty good set up man and I don't think we have as many of those as some other WCHA teams. This will definitely hurt the team this year. It will probably hurt in the long run as well because I thought he would be a big point player in his junior and senior year.

19.4% bodyfat? He must have been pretty lazy in the off-season to be that high. Not a good sign coming off the year we had.

Not to disagree with Sockeye Sioux, but I hear Fournier couldn't take the pressure from his teammates for coming in so badly out of shape. I don't believe he was cut from the team but left on his own.

This is not the first time he came to camp like this. Could account for all his injuries last year.

Wow! That's a shocker to me.

Fournier had a somewhat disappointing freshman season, considering he was the USHL POY with over 80 pts. Compared to Bochenski, his skills did not translate to D1 very well.

To show up out of shape is a huge surprise.

So, does this leave a scholarship slot open?

Sounds like Chris showed up with the physique of his younger brother Mike. I was wondering when I saw his weight listed as 180, since he's only 5-8 ( with skates ;) ) I thought that was a bit heavy for him. When I saw him during X-mas or so, he didn't look that bad, must have been a rough summer. I'm really hoping that if he did leave on his own, there's a possibilty that Dean leaves the door open for his return.

I too am disappointed that Fournier will apparently not be around for the next three years, as I saw enough flashes of skill last year to think that he would be a good producer down the line. The Sioux have a lot of size and speed, but uncanny ice vision is pretty rare, and he may have it.

Without knowing the situation or the people, it's hard to say whether the door remains open at all for the future. That would be the best case scenario, IMO: that Fournier would realize the steps he needs to take, do the work, and eventually join the team and prosper.

This situation reminds me of the times a few people (one in particular) have noted that we have no idea what these guys go through to compete at this level. The commitment must be enormous. And not everyone is apparently willing or able to do it.

I also hope that, wherever he goes and whatever he chooses to do, Fournier prospers down the line. It's easy to think "he blew it... what was he thinking." But the truth is that a lot of people, myself included, screwed up somewhere along the line, especially at that age. You make a mistake, you learn, you grow and hopefully you're eventually better for it.

Good luck, Chris. I hope to see you again in the green and white (if that's possible).

It's too bad Chris spent a lot of last season injured. He has a good sense of the ice. He's one of the few players I've personally seen who has an almost natural talent, that could be part of the problem? I wonder if because he had a sub-par season if he became frustrated? He has good speed as well, I've seen him race to avoid an icing call where the opponent was about at the red line and he was back at the blue line, and still beat the guy. I'm still in disbelief about this ;) I'm sure/I hope UND will have a good season, looks like they got some good recruits.

This is a jaw dropper. I'm really disappointed as I wanted to see what he could do this year.

I just hope that he learns a lesson from this, and whatever he decides he wants to do in his life, he learns to prepare for it, and that it won't be given to him. Like jk, I think the best outcome would be to see if he can work his way back onto the lineup. But whatever is best for him is what is important.

Fournier would have been nice to have around, based on some of his play last season. However, showing up that badly out of shape is a big issue on a number of levels. I do wish him the best of luck wherever his path takes him.

I'd guess, based on who's wearing the C and the As, a stronger commitment to hard work and smart play will be a key component of this year's team. I think this team will play with an edge and determination to win that was sorely lacking at critical times last year. ;)

I'd guess, based on who's wearing the C and the As, a stronger commitment to hard work and smart play will be a key component of this year's team. I think this team will play with an edge and determination to win that was sorely lacking at critical times last year. ;)

New sheriffs in town.

Things are changing, hopefully for the better.

HKNTSMN,

Never any glee when a player leaves the program, especially one of Fournier's ability.

The Fighting Sioux is an Elite Hockey Program. If a player who feels a part of that program doesn't respect his teammates by coming into camp in at least marginally descent shape, he desrves to hear it from them.

A player can't expect their past awards to help them keep up with their teammates when it's time to lace them up. Captain's practices are for getting into game shape, not wasting time trying to get to the other end of the ice.

I believe the consensus opinion was the PP last year was not very effective. That included quite a few players on the team that were on it.

I think the whole concept of team is what you're missing in your post.

Last years team did not live up to the standards of the previous teams.

All the reasons for last year have been hashed & rehashed many times on these boards.

This is a new year & a new opportunity for the Sioux to get back on track. Shortchanging your teammates by not being ready to give every thing you have is showing them you don't care about them. It's tough to make plays when your whole team is in the offensive zone & you haven't crossed the red line yet. Scoring burgers & sausage on the 4th. of July isn't going to help make plays in April when the team wants to be playing.

Team

Good Teams

Bad Teams

Both are teams

Good teams have leaders and guys who make the big plays.

Guys that are willing to say jump on my back I will get it done.

That is what is needed some guys to step up and say Let's get it done...

follow me.

I have been on teams where the best players aren't necessarily the top ironman guys see Les Steckel, See Ryan Sofie. I think we need guys with flash and confidence around the net. Goalies that expect to stop all the shots. Period. I think we will be good if some guys can lead from that perspective that this is a team and it is only as good as we make our weakest links feel. I know that on the teams that were real successful some of the best shifts came from the 3rd and 4th lines. That is what we need again. Everyone busting their butts to get the job done.

Speez,

I remember Lee Goren telling Kevin, Jason, Tim Skarperud and other freshman in 2000 that the team was only going to be as good as the young guys played. I think that is the kind of leadership I am in favor of not the sheriff type more of the shepherd type. I think that the upper classmen leaders should call on the younger guys to do the job and we just might have a great year to end 4 wonderful years with the Sioux.

I hope so cause last year kind of sucked!

I think you get it don't you!

This is a new year & a new opportunity for the Sioux to get back on track. Shortchanging your teammates by not being ready to give every thing you have is showing them you don't care about them. It's tough to make plays when your whole team is in the offensive zone & you haven't crossed the red line yet. Scoring burgers & sausage on the 4th. of July isn't going to help make plays in April when the team wants to be playing.

I agree entirely. Hockey is a team sport that demands a full bore effort from everybody, especially coming off a bad season. Showing up to practice woefully out of shape demonstrates a lack of commitment to winning that serious offseason training demonstrates. If last season didn't leave a bad taste in certain players' mouths and create a desire to improve their performance and get into the playoffs this season, I'd rather they leave the team now and not infect others with their attitude.

Scott, Speez I am on your side it is just too bad that they spent a lot of time working Chris F. in on the power play. My question is who do you think will man the points on the power play. This is where we definately have a drop off from Mazurak, Roche, Schneekloth, Hammer of years past.

Fournier spent a lot of time there and Skarperud was put there. Which of our young tough Dman is capable of being a playmaker from the top on the power play. I think that is key to successful %..

What do you guys think. I still think boot camp is over rated some guys can do push ups but when it is time to take the hill they don't show up.

I think the upper classman last year were not as good as in the past at making the young guys feel comfortable. I think they were more nervous about there own work than letting the young guys feel like they were going to be a big part of it. I hope that makes some sense it does to me.

What do you guys think. I still think boot camp is over rated some guys can do push ups but when it is time to take the hill they don't show up.

Your missing the point. Blaiser has said this before it takes certain types of players to fit into to his mold and to play for him, his way or you sit. You work hard and you are rewarded. I think that is great. Don't go to class you run. Don't go to class a second time the whole team run. I heard that when it comes to that that person is not going to have much fun.

I think its easy to explain and understand. Come to camp out of shape, your looking suffering an injury... Each player knows what he is getting into when they come to UND. Egos are for the most part check in at the door. Look at Blake he sat for having a bad attitude back in 1997, Blaiser said it might have cost him the Hobbey but Blais got his point accross. I doesn't matter who you are. Don't work hard, you sit.

Look at what happen at other schools, a perfect example of this is Tyler Arneson. While Dahl allowed him to get fat and lazy that wouldn't happen in the Blais camp. I think that is why dean didn't land him. Blaiser has won NCAA titles. Dahl has not won an NCAA game.

A perfect example of hard work is Little Notterman, in his three years of me watching him I have never seen him take a shift off. Never. He is an example of hard work. That is why he plays, he has the right stuff to be a member of the fighting Sioux hockey team. I hope all of our guys play like that this season. Give me 20 notermans before I will take 5 Arnesons.

I agree with a comment made earlier. Last season was unexceptable. UND is the FSU, Miami of college hockey. We will return to the top. It won't be long.

I didn't mean to slight anyone in the last post, I just thought Noterman is a good example of Hard work and dedication. I guess I would put Speiwak in there too. I like the effort these guys put in game after game.

I'd agree. Notermann and Spiewak should be a good example of senior leadership by effort, game after game. The youngsters better not take a game (or even a shift) off this year.

And please, no more backing in for entire third periods. What DI team can't score when you give them all of neutral ice, plus the blue line, plus half the defensive zone (Sioux's). Nice place to shoot from with a built-in screen in front of the net. No wonder there were so many rebounds. Goalies couldn't see the puck.

Think we've doubted the goalie's too much. I believe Siembida and Brandt will be very good if the Sioux defense tightens up in the neutral zone (third period) and defends at the blue line, at worst.

And please, no more backing in for entire third periods. What DI team can't score when you give them all of neutral ice, plus the blue line, plus half the defensive zone (Sioux's). Nice place to shoot from with a built-in screen in front of the net. No wonder there were so many rebounds. Goalies couldn't see the puck.

Think we've doubted the goalie's too much. I believe Siembida and Brandt will be very good if the Sioux defense tightens up in the neutral zone (third period) and defends at the blue line, at worst.

Sprig, I was going to reply right away but I had to go and throw up first at the memory of those passive third-period collapses. Remember the Frozen Four third periods against Maine, MSU and BC (in 2000)? Pressure the puck, get it going the other way and generate transition chances. It's hard for the opponent to catch up when they're trying to play defense in their own zone.

Greyeagle, talk about going for the low-hanging fruit! I'll have to go correct sig just to get even. Clever catch, though, I'll give you that.