SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Roster

SockeyeSioux

HKNTSMN,

If by your post you mean it's time to move on, past Chris Fournier, and think about the players who are here and their upcoming season, I agree.

As unlikely as it may seem throughout the league, let's see if the boys can earn some hardware this year. The Sioux have an abundance of good, quick forwards anyway, so let's get 'em the puck and turn 'em loose.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember early in this thread someone who should know makes it sound like this is not the first time that Fournier was a bit soft coming into the season.

I agree, muscle isn't the determining factor to success. However, when one's peers get on them for lack of performance, that's usually an indication of really letting them down.

I gotta feeling there was some real indication of a lack of commitment to the teammates in this situation. The way Chris talked about his Lincoln days says to me he is looking for a change of scenery, and UND wasn't doing it for him. Good luck to him, except against UND.

For me I am sad to see him go. Hate to see his potential at UND go to nothing.

Here's a little schedule symmetry:

Since we begin the season in Buffalo, how about ending it in Buffalo!

The thoughts of both Blais and Berenson in deciding to compete in the season-opening tournament, I'm sure.

Anyone have any insight from watching captain's practices? Or from talking to their children, who may be watching (or otherwise involved in) those practices? Doc Nodak, are you still around?

jk, I'm a parent. Did you want to know about practices? I've talked with my son and his senior roommates about the practices a lot. Apparently, they are brutal! They say (seniors) practices have been harder this year than any previous year they have been a Sioux. The boys are working their tails off. Anytime anyone complains, the canned response is, "6th place!". The hockey team only has three events left in the Iron Man. 3K, 10K and swimming event. They have been doing dry land, on ice practice/scrimmage and top the conditioning day off with running stairs at the old rink. Under "watchful eyes"... (holding a stop watch.)

My son also tells me Zach Paraise (sp?) is unbelievable. The greatest natural goal scorer he has ever seen. ;)

I don't know about practices open to the public. I will ask, but it seems to me the rink is always locked up pretty tight.

I'm sure they've forgotten how hard Lee Goren and Peter Armbrust worked them in the fall of 1999. ;) ;)

As a fan, I'll tell you right now that last season was the first time I'd ever seen a Dean Blais team look out of gas in a third period. Blais' teams have always been the best conditioned. Without that, his high-energy go-go-go speed game can't work.

So "sixth place" is the response to complaints?

Maybe I need to contact Captain Hale and remind him that they played the team that finished THIRD in the league in the playoffs. That'd be ....

EIGHTH PLACE!

As a fan, I'll tell you right now that last season was the first time I'd ever seen a Dean Blais team look out of gas in a third period. Blais' teams have always been the best conditioned. Without that, his high-energy go-go-go speed game can't work.

The Sicatoka, I agree with you. Going back to 1997, maybe before, the comment on the Sioux is that they owned the 3rd period. In the 3rd they always had more legs than the other teams.

Last year, that comment was at times made about the other team. I hated hearing it. I hope that doesn't happen again.

However, I do wonder if that is a factor of size. Those older teams had, IMO, a larger population of smaller faster skaters than what I consider to be a more physically imposing line-up at this time. It might be something we have to live with, due to our size.

dagies: I seem to recall some large lads (O'Connell, Commy, freshman Ryan Hale) playing, and outplaying, people in the third in the spring of 2000.

jk: It's all about spin. When you are trying to make it not sound not so bad: sixth. When you're trying to make it sting: EIGHTH!

Apparently, they are brutal! They say (seniors) practices have been harder this year than any previous year they have been a Sioux. The boys are working their tails off. Anytime anyone complains, the canned response is, "6th place!".

I applaud the captain choices this year, and I am also glad to hear they are not afraid to work the team in an effort to bring improvement.

I want to be careful here not to be critical. It is good to work the guys hard. I hope the captains will be able to show equally good leadership in other situations that require a less "gung-ho" approach. I.e. knowing when a guy needs a pat on the back, or a shoulder to lean on at the right time, etc. Or showing steadiness under game pressure situations, etc.

If so, we will have a great leadership group this year, even if the number of upperclassmen is not great.

Regarding the third periods last year, can't see that it was a matter of conditioning. Backing in and parking in front of your own net while opponents get free shots through the screen you've created, uses little energy, but who knows if it's a sign of being worn out. I'd guess it was more a matter of being afraid to lose a lead.

The Sioux of 2001 certainly did play a prevent of sorts in both the WCHA and NCAA playoffs, after they got the lead. It was, however, a high energy prevent that didn't allow opponent through the neutral zone, or at worst, stopped all rushes at the blue line. Created turnovers were turned into Sioux scoring chances. Very successful prevent , especially in the games against CC and MSU postseason. Actually they played it very well in the championship against BC with the score 0-0, but failed to convert the turnovers into goals (largely due to Clemmenson).

SockeyeSioux,

Thanks for a great post. Its nice to hear that the upperclassmen are making sure that everyone has the proper attitude on the eve of a new season. Also nice to hear that Parise is making noise.

Its great to read the posts from some of the parents, namely SockeyeSioux, Speez and HKNTSMN (sorry if I missed any). Thanks for giving us some of the "inside" scoop!

Thanks, in addition to the info., for sending your boys up here. Depending on playoff ice, the last home game on March 2nd will be a sad day - can't tell you how much fun it has been to watch the development and play of your sons (speez & HKNTSMN - 'cause I'm fairly certain I know who your "kin" are). This should be an exciting year. Let's go Sioux.

I agree with the rest. It's refreshing to hear some inside information instead of speculating and discussing rumors constantly. I think it's obvious that the fans are very proud of the team and recognize the hard work they put into hockey.

It's good to hear that the team isn't satisfied with last season. It was kind of a hit below the belt for the guys who are used to winning. Let's hope their hard work and dedication pays off for this year's seniors! GO SIOUX!!

Okay, here's what I know... There are about 15 guys who are going to try and "walk on" when practice starts. They are not participating in the Iron Man. I guess last year there were some "walk on's" who worked hard during the Iron Man and were cut the first day of ice. They were pissed. So, this year Blais didn't have any of the walk on's do the Iron Man competition. The boys move into the locker room tomorrow and the Fighting Sioux have new jersey's this year. :D That is the news of the day. :0 Oh, and Parent Weekend is November 15-16. (Thanks for the insight, Speez).

They've gone from the Gemini to the Nike?

I've seen some jerseys in stores with the swoosh on them. I'm not sure if they are "replica" or actual jerseys. I hope they were the replicas.

Either way, I'm not a fan of Nike's mesh side panels where they don't continue the bottom striping all the way around. (I'm sure the players like the mesh on the sides because it allows better air flow so they stay cooler.)

I'm surprised if they changed from Gemini to Nike. Gemini is owned by a former UND grad and Sioux from the Hrkac era. He didn't play much, and I think he played football more than baseball. Don't quite remember the whole history. Anyway, a switch is a bit of a surprise.