SiouxSports.com Forum

The Ralph

tnt

Just got a notice in the mail yesterday stating basically my long season ticket holding days are over unless I become a member of the Fighting Sioux Club. Because I love hockey so much, I am forced to do it at the $110 level, but what irritates me is that if I would have known I was going to have to do this when the arena first opened, I would have done it then and had a lot better seats.

The way they seem to be money grubbing isn't exactly endearing to the fans. First they institute a policy where they will not give refunds for the unplayed 3rd game of the Michigan Tech playoff series, and now everyone in the arena except students and opponent's fans have to become members of the Fighting Sioux Club. I thought a "club" was supposed to be exclusive.

Like I said, I will pay the minimum because I like Sioux Hockey so much, but events that I would normally attend like basketball games against lesser opponents and events like the Men's Division 2 elite eight next year will be cut from my budget. I will not support the money grubbing policies of the arena, as I don't think this is what Ralph's wishes were.

If I hear the need for more scholarship money, etc., anymore I will throw up. In the old arena you had maybe 3000 season ticket holders and many weren't in the Fighting Sioux club. Now you will have just about 11,000 seats that are bringing in money, most at the FSC level. Add to that the suite level and the money for concessions, and you still need to bilk your fans out of a refund for a single game? I know many of you are probably thinking what a cheap person, but I think it is more the principle than a refund for one game that bothers me. I will continue to support the Sioux hockey team, just not the arena, because I think they are selling out the hockey team as well in pursuit of the almighty dollar. Our schedules in the past attest to that. In short, I won't support an institution that takes rather than asks. I'll buy my Siouxwear at Scheels.

There, that feels much better.!! Now rip away!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always been under the impression that the UND athletic department controls ticketing for UND athletic events in the arena, with the exception of the suites and club lounges. The Ralph handles the ticketing process for UND but the ultimate decision for FSC membership requirements for season tickets comes from UND, not REA. I could be wrong though.

I want to hear from anyone that is on the waiting list to get season tickets....

I have been on the list for over two years. It is nearly impossible to find out what the heck is going on in the process. They quickly took my $100 for my spot on the waiting list...but that was the only QUICK thing they've done in two years.

I got an e-mail about two months before last season started saying that I would get tickets. Then, as it got closer, they said it didn't look good. To top it off, two months after the season started, I tried finding out where I ended up on the list, and they couldn't give me an exact number....WHAT'S GOING TO CHANGE AFTER THEY SOLD ALL THE SEASON TICKETS?!?!?!

They also PROMISED that they would send out a letter to all people on the waiting list, telling them exactly where they stand......GUESS WHAT?!?!?....it never happened!!

A multi-million facility with a horse-sh#t operation!!! I would have to believe that, if he were alive, Ralph would fire some of these people!!

Ask the owner of Gemini Sportswear what he thinks of the new Sioux. He'll tell you.

I never quite understood how that worked. UND alum goes and starts or takes control of a company that makes sporting apparel. UND decides to side with the sweatshops because $$$ talks. And the alumni association wonders why I throw away all their stuff. It's selective alumni wooing. Those in the middle who cares.

Where to begin ....

tnt: Unless you mean that you would have joined at more than Century Club level, you wouldn't have better seats in REA. It's Coaches Club or better in the lower bowl.

Now to general issues ....

Old Ralph: Everything not visitor or student was FSC. Nothing new there regarding seating.

I'm sure our rivals have policies regarding club membership levels to get tickets also. Plus, some of UND's rivals pay $25+ per game ticket plus club membership fees.

Tuition at UND went up 16.5% last year. It's going up 16.5% this year. Scholarships for UND Athletes will cost $200k more next year than last, that's going from $1.1 MM to $1.3 MM! The State won't pick that up.

UND Athletics, as Roger Thomas has said, is "parent" to the UND Athletes. If tuition goes up, they have to pay the bill. How else does UND Athletics have to fund this? You want to watch them play? You gotta pay.

Would you rather ticket prices go up at the rate of tuition? DO THE MATH! At $345 for a season ticket before, if rates had jumped 16.5% two years in a row, you'd be paying $468 per seat. That's a $123 increase per seat! Joining FSC for $110 for two seats doesn't sound so bad now suddenly, does it.

This is economic reality in collegiate athletics today.

I have had season tickets for the last 3 years. I do not "donate" any money to the FSC. Am I happy about the mandatory "donation", no. :sad: Will I pay it to watch the best team in the country in the best arena in the country, yes. :0

Ask the owner of Gemini Sportswear what he thinks of the new Sioux. He'll tell you.

Mafia:

I agree 100% percent with you. I (and three of my colleagues) have been members of the "Fighting Sioux Club" since the REA opened. I can tell you first hand it was a nice perk during year one at the Ralph. We have seats in section 108 bordering the south end of the student section right on the blue line lower level just above the glass.

The parking was (is) fantastic and the exclusive use of the south end club was equally fantastic (see not having to wait in line for a drink or some open space in which to kill time between periods).

During the last two years everything has been degraded. We no longer have exclusive use of the south end club. The ticket package has gone up exponentially during years two and three and the parking pass isn't what it used to be in terms of the parking area and (volume of cars now that are permitted to park there). They have also taken away the majority of pre-game social hours in the south end club where appetizers and sanwiches used to be served.

We have three former Sioux letter winners in our group of four and neither of us is very happy with the way things have been handled over the last three years. Basically everything has gone up (prices) and perks are slowly being removed!

I agree REA has to make money but it seems to me they are alienating some of their larger donors. I have spoken to several in the higher levels (above the Coaches Club) and I have yet to find one that is very pleased with the way the season tickets are being run.

We don't expect the world but if you continue to raise fees you can't proportionally take away "perks". IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY IN ANY BUSINESS!!!!

Long story short...I live in the cities....and fully intend to get a group together to speak to the individual that is running this area (his name escapes me right now). I have about 10 already willing to knock on some doors.

Without rambling (which I already have done)...Would be glad to dicuss this with you if you are interested....

I want to hear from anyone that is on the waiting list to get season tickets....

I have been on the list for over two years. It is nearly impossible to find out what the heck is going on in the process. They quickly took my $100 for my spot on the waiting list...but that was the only QUICK thing they've done in two years.

I got an e-mail about two months before last season started saying that I would get tickets. Then, as it got closer, they said it didn't look good. To top it off, two months after the season started, I tried finding out where I ended up on the list, and they couldn't give me an exact number....WHAT'S GOING TO CHANGE AFTER THEY SOLD ALL THE SEASON TICKETS?!?!?!

They also PROMISED that they would send out a letter to all people on the waiting list, telling them exactly where they stand......GUESS WHAT?!?!?....it never happened!!

A multi-million facility with a horse-sh#t operation!!! I would have to believe that, if he were alive, Ralph would fire some of these people!!

Well if you want purchase a single seat there are two separate ones in our section that I know of that weren't sold last year and probably won't the next either due to being "singles"

I'm sure our rivals have policies regarding club membership levels to get tickets also. Plus, some of UND's rivals pay $25+ per game ticket plus club membership fees.

If I wanted to make sure I got moved up in the line at Mecca I'd have to donate $1000 and still not really know for sure if I got tickets (non-refundable donation BTW) untill they hand them out. They go by donation value, the more you donate the farther up you go. AND you have to donate EVERY year to keep your tix. PLUS you got to pay for the ticket...last year it was $658 for the regular season. So figure $1700 per seat per year. ERF! I'd GLADLY pay $110!

WPoS

Mafia:

I agree 100% percent with you. I (and three of my colleagues) have been members of the "Fighting Sioux Club" since the REA opened. I can tell you first hand it was a nice perk during year one at the Ralph. We have seats in section 108 bordering the south end of the student section right on the blue line lower level just above the glass.

You must mean section 107...108 is students

cfm567b27: We all knew parking would be a mess this season because of constrution of The Betty.

Ah yes, The Betty. A new arena that has to be paid for. But I digress.

The more complaints I hear, the more I'm sure my seats will be getting better in the future.

If you're complaining you'll quit paying and I'll get your seats, right?

And you're all right. It is about money. Somebody has to pay the bills to keep this form of entertainment going.

Economic realities.

It's pretty sad when I find myself most in alignment with a GOPHER fan on the SiouxSports board.

cfm567b27: We all knew parking would be a mess this season because of constrution of The Betty.

Ah yes, The Betty. A new arena that has to be paid for. But I digress.

The more complaints I hear, the more I'm sure my seats will be getting better in the future.

If you're complaining you'll quit paying and I'll get your seats, right?

And you're all right. It is about money. Somebody has to pay the bills to keep this form of entertainment going.

Economic realities.

It's pretty sad when I find myself most in alignment with a GOPHER fan on the SiouxSports board.

Sic..

Hey I don't mind paying - just don't take away the perks while you raise fees. Those perks are what attracts people to gain FSC entrance in the first place (lower bowl, parking, club, pre-game meals etc) That is what I'm saying. And no you will never get my seats. I will keep them even if I can't make one game up there. Almost like having Masters tickets to me...You just don't give them up because you never know if you can get them back. With that said I made almost every series this year - even with living in Minneapolis.

If I wanted to make sure I got moved up in the line at Mecca I'd have to donate $1000 and still not really know for sure if I got tickets (non-refundable donation BTW) untill they hand them out. They go by donation value, the more you donate the farther up you go. AND you have to donate EVERY year to keep your tix. PLUS you got to pay for the ticket...last year it was $658 for the regular season. So figure $1700 per seat per year. ERF! I'd GLADLY pay $110!

WPoS: Here's the situation.

The lower bowl of REA is all FSC Coaches Club or better. $1100 (or better) annual contribution. With that you get rights to four tickets (2 at face, 2 at 25% off). Higher levels (bigger contributions) get you more rights to tickets.

The upper last year had four sections that no FSC membership was required. Next year you'll have to join at the lowest FSC level (Century Club, $110 annually) to keep those seats.

Last year it was $345 for the 23 game home ticket package per seat.

Sounds like economically you'd like to become a Sioux fan. We'll find room in a lot to play some 'darts for you. :sad:

Maybe someone here could explain to me how the blame for the increase in FSC fees or the lack of perks for membership falls to the REA people? I was under the impression that the REA collected the FSC fees as part of the ticket sales function, but that ALL such fees are passed on in their entirety to the FSC. I know that our annual donation to the Fighting Sioux Club for the right to purchase good seats is receipted each year by said FSC as a tax deductible donation. It seems a little petty to blame the REA for all matters relating to hockey, when in fact maybe the Fighting Sioux Club people are the ones dropping the ball with respect to pre game goodies and so forth.

As previously mentioned, the costs for athletic scholarships continue to increase and so more dollars must be generated. And all costs for the womens hockey team (and they are substantial) have to covered from other sources because the revenue is nil. That is not a rip on women's hockey, just an honest fact.

Parking was going to be bad this year because of construction. See how it goes this year, or start asking now.

Perks? Didn't you get some new ones along the way? If you're in the lower bowl, you get "Sioux Illustrated" for free, right?

PS - I really wanted your seats too. :0:sad: BTW, you do make sure they are used for each and every game, even if you can't make it, right? You'd hate the students to accuse you of being a "corp-ie empty seat." (And empty seats really bother me.)

I give them away when I can't make it. As I said I'm there almost every home series.

Sioux Illustrated? Nice $1100 magazine subscription there isn't it. You can have it. That isn't worth jack in my opinion. I can't believe you even mentioned that as a perk? I also loved getting the media guide this year two weeks before the end of the season. Lovely....