SiouxSports.com Forum

What Gophers are leaving?

db1869

UND is losing seniors Lundbohm, Hale, and Palmiscno plus underclassman NHL signee Parise.

Minnesota is losing seniors Koalska, Riddle, Grant Potulny, and Waibel.

With those four Minnesota is losing 28 more points (15 more goals) from last season than UND is, plus, Minnesota is losing their two-year captain. (They also lose Joey Martin.)

Now, which other players were you considering that Minnesota may lose? :)

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle. -- Sun Tzu

I don't think any of them will leave. They have no reason to. Ballard would be a prime candidate to leave if his rights were still owned by Colorado, but he's now a Coyote. The Coyotes are out of the playoff picture. Apart from $$$, there's no reason for Ballard to sign.

Vanek is a ? that I am leaning towards staying. Buffalo does have a chance to make the playoffs as a #8, but Vanek has too much to gain from staying one more year. For example, with GP leaving, Lucia could ask Vanek to grow a spine and start practicing defense over the off season. WHo knows, with Vanek, but I'm banking on him staying.

USCHO also has eyes on Jessiman and Suter leaving. Don't know much about Jessiman, but I'd put him in the same boat as Ballard. Jessiman's rights are owned by the Rangers. They're going to a whole length of nowhere. Jessiman stays.

Suter probably will stay as well. However, this time next season, Suter is a pro.

Again, a signing is a business deal: you need a buyer and a seller.

I'm guessing Buffalo (Vanek) and Phoenix (Ballard) aren't looking to buy until after a new NHL CBA is in place and (presumably) rookie "prices" go down.

Alternatively, and unlike Buffalo and Phoenix, New Jersey is in the playoffs, has cash available, and saw a guy they have rights to that they believe can help them right now. Thus, NJD was a buyer in the market.

I'm guessing Buffalo (Vanek) and Phoenix (Ballard) aren't looking to buy until after a new NHL CBA is in place and (presumably) rookie "prices" go down.

I think it will truly depend on how each organization feels about Ballard and Vanek. If those two are truly viewed as future stars, the teams may pay up now in hopes of retaining them long term.

They are both top 11 draft picks, so I doubt the money is really going to be that different, especially in Vanek's case.

I can't tell what to make of Ballard getting traded twice. He either is coveted by many or his current teams don't think he will ever be worth #11 pick money. I'm really not sure, but in my opinion similar but better players such as C. Murphy, T. Roche and M. Crowley never made it so I don't have that much faith that Ballard will make it.

My guess is that Vanek will go play professionally somewhere next year, and Ballard may be sent back to the Gophers. Not really his choice.

I think it will truly depend on how each organization feels about Ballard and Vanek. If those two are truly viewed as future stars, the teams may pay up now in hopes of retaining them long term.

They are both top 11 draft picks, so I doubt the money is really going to be that different, especially in Vanek's case.

I can't tell what to make of Ballard getting traded twice. He either is coveted by many or his current teams don't think he will ever be worth #11 pick money. I'm really not sure, but in my opinion similar but better players such as C. Murphy, T. Roche and M. Crowley never made it so I don't have that much faith that Ballard will make it.

My guess is that Vanek will go play professionally somewhere next year, and Ballard may be sent back to the Gophers. Not really his choice.

I have to agree with you Sagard on this post all the way.

The problem with Ballard in the NHL is that he isn't the big intimidating d man. He can skate and shoot very well, but doesn't have the size or physical presence. Ballard will probably never get an opportunity on the PP in the NHL, and that is where he truly shines. While Ballard hits more than Roche did, I would say their skills are comparable.

I can see Vaneck wanting to sign. I seriously think he may go to Europe. Especially if a bunch of NHLers will be playing their next year. Lock up a spot now.

No point in Buffalo and Phoenix signing these two with the lockout looming. Can you truly count on them getting work somewhere for next year when they aren't established NHLers? I'm not sure how the minors would work, but my guess with a lockout would mean that the team can't put these guys anywhere.

I think that Vanek is a threat to sign. If Buffalo wants him they'll get him. Either way I think Vanek goes and plays in Europe next year if he doesn't sign with the Sabres.

Ballard I think stays. As the Phoenix guy said, the Coyotes are happy to let Ballard and Jones stay and develop in college. Unless Ballard wants to go...he's gonna stick around

Ballard will never get time on the power play? That is the reason he was drafted. He is the most skilled defensemen on the power play in college hockey. His numbers are not mind boggling 5 on 5, and he is a solid defensive defenseman at times but the power play is where he shines, and when was the last time an NHL team had a big, strong, physical defenseman play the point on the power play? The early to mid 90's?

All that being said, Vanek leaves(truly a sad day to come), and Ballard stays.

It will be much more difficult for the gophs to score goals next year, after losing our 2 pure goal scorers in Riddle and Vanek.

Ballard will never get time on the power play? That is the reason he was drafted. He is the most skilled defensemen on the power play in college hockey. His numbers are not mind boggling 5 on 5, and he is a solid defensive defenseman at times but the power play is where he shines, and when was the last time an NHL team had a big, strong, physical defenseman play the point on the power play? The early to mid 90's?

All that being said, Vanek leaves(truly a sad day to come), and Ballard stays.

It will be much more difficult for the gophs to score goals next year, after losing our 2 pure goal scorers in Riddle and Vanek.

Didn't Bochenski own him and then score shorthanded in the final 5

I think that Vanek is a threat to sign.  If Buffalo wants him they'll get him.  Either way I think Vanek goes and plays in Europe next year if he doesn't sign with the Sabres.

Ballard I think stays.  As the Phoenix guy said, the Coyotes are happy to let Ballard and Jones stay and develop in college.  Unless Ballard wants to go...he's gonna stick around

With Buffalo sneaking up on a playoff spot (shocking!) methinks Vankek's on their roster if they make it - assuming he can still be on the playoff roster. The could certainly use some scoring punch.

With Buffalo sneaking up on a playoff spot (shocking!) ....

Holy smokes! When did that happen?

Buffalo is three points back of the NYI for the last Eastern playoff spot and each have three games left!

I know it's Jason Blake's NYI team but he's hurt right now .....

Go-o-o-o-o Sabres! ;)

Tell me about it Sic....I thought MN/Vanek was safe from the NHL as the swords had no chance in hell at a playoff spot. Well color me ignorant. My son the Blues fan checks the paper every day for a playoff update and pointed this out to me today - thank God they traded Ballard or I think he'd be gone in a heartbeat - and asked if I thought Vanek would sign if they made it. Cripes.

Tell me about it Sic....I thought MN/Vanek was safe from the NHL as the swords had no chance in hell at a playoff spot. Well color me ignorant. My son the Blues fan checks the paper every day for a playoff update and pointed this out to me today - thank God they traded Ballard or I think he'd be gone in a heartbeat - and asked if I thought Vanek would sign if they made it. Cripes.

Thats awesome, your kids is growing up a serious hockey fan, now if we can get him to follow a different team than the Sabres. Does he like the Wild?