SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Lost

killer4president

Just one of those games...

Sometimes the goals just flow into the net, and sometimes you can't buy even one.

Hasn't been mentioned yet, but despite what the Sioux coaches and players might have said, I do not think the Sioux look comfortable on the big rink. They just have not mastered the keep-away game that Lucia's teams seem so good at. It is no surprise to me that UND's best weekend this year occurred up in that little pinball machine in Duluth. You can forecheck, force mistakes and get the puck to the net so fast. On the big ice you skate skate skate to the corner to chase down a loose puck. Just my opinion.

First off, the rink wasn't the reason we lost. It would have been a different game for both teams on a smaller surface. We weren't able to forecheck and hold the line as well, but we had plenty of opportunities. DU just did a great job of not letting us get near rebounds.

Secondly, the NCAA needs to set a rink standard. I can't think of any other sport in the NCAA that allows different demensions. Baseball would be about it, but it's the same distance to run base paths.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to say this, but despite having a very good year, this team often didn't seem to display the extra gear needed to close out the third period. Yes they started out dominating the 3rd early in the season, but previous years' title winners never seemed to lose games in the 3rd like this team. In looking at the box scores, they lost or settled for a tie in 6 games where they were either leading or were tied going into the third:

St. Cloud twice

Denver twice

Wisconsin

Minnesota

I don't remember this sort of this happening to the 1997 or 2000 teams. It runs in my mind that it may have happened once all year in 2000. Just an observation on a very sad night.

p.s. The next few days may bring more bad news for the Sioux, so be ready for early departures.

Extremely talented team who underachieved when it counted most.

This is where I'm at right now. Looking back, the Sioux did not have their most stellar games in the past couple weeks.....Final Five, Holy Cross, and now Denver. Good teams find a way to win, but the Sioux didn't look nearly as dynamic as they have all season.

It just burns me to think that a team that consistently underachieves during the regular season lately (Gophers) seem to turn it up a few notches in time for the playoffs while the Sioux, who have played phenomenal at times this year and have been consistent all season, just plain old ran out of gas. It seems wrong. But kudos to the Gophers, they seem to have perfected the formula to win it all.

And for those people who are annoyed by bertibm, don't be surprised. About 2.5 seconds after the game, the epitomy of Gopher arrogance was calling my cell phone to pour salt on the wounds.

Damn my fieldwork site for cancelling on me....I have to drive to Minneapolis for a week tomorrow. :0

Interesting to note that the scapegoat will surely be JPar whose NCAA Tourney career starts with a 1-1 record 1 GA 2 Games.

I didn't get to see any of the game. I don't know if I could handle the trolling on this site, let alone USCHO.

Hey, for those who complained about Maine making Sportscenter and not the western teams, 10:1 odds this game makes it. No one cares when UND is #1 but everyone cares when they lose.

I'll be fine once the numbness wears off ... which may take 2-3 days.

I've seen North Dakota Hockey win some great games, and I've seen us lose some tough games. Fortunately, there's an awful lot more on the plus side of the ledger for the last 25 years.

As a fan, this one is not nearly as disappointing as Madison '99. Because the effort was there tonight. We skated circles around DU, played near flawless hockey, and did everything well except get it past Berkhoel. We played hard, we played clean, and as a fan I can't ask anything else of my team.

============================================

In retrospect, the season had a lot of memorable moments.

I got the joy of seeing dozens of spectacular plays this year, 30 victories (not all in person, I still need the day job), and a team that is prepared and puts terrific effort most every night.

Tonight's bitter-tasting final night will over time be replaced by all the other memories of the season, starting with 3rd period rallies against UMD and BC in October, to home sweeps of the Gophers and Dogs, the great road weekend in Duluth, and even last weekend's WCHA Final Five title game vs. the Gophers. This season had a lot of what makes college hockey the greatest sport I know. The constants, through it all, are the poise of these young men, their dedication, and their leaders.

As a fan, one other thing that I will long remember about this season are the efforts of some dedicated fans and posters on this board to increase the Fun Quotient in the Ralph with signs. You were terrific.

I guess the bottom line for me is I'd rather be a fan of North Dakota Hockey than any other team, and I wouldn't trade my experiences for all the gold in China.

Dear Dean and Dear Team - Thanks for a great season.

extremely disappointing. this team is a lot better than that. very underachieving. what's interesting to note is that in almost all of UND's losses this year, it came because of the lack of scoring, not goaltending. the sioux were the top scoring team in the nation, but in games we lost, it was because we scored 1 goal, or like tonight, nothing.

adios zach parise. thank you for coming to UND and bringing the shattack group with you. thank you for two great years of excitement and class.

sorry, i just dont see him sticking around.

extremely disappointing. this team is a lot better than that. very underachieving. what's interesting to note is that in almost all of UND's losses this year, it came because of the lack of scoring, not goaltending. the sioux were the top scoring team in the nation, but in games we lost, it was because we scored 1 goal, or like tonight, nothing.

adios zach parise. thank you for coming to UND and bringing the shattack group with you. thank you for two great years of excitement and class.

sorry, i just dont see him sticking around.

I hope Zach stays, I love watching his game.

Like most here, I am extremely disappointed; not a good night of sleep last night. However, I think some of the sentiments expressed are off the mark. I don't think the Sioux ran out of gas, failed to show up, or underachieved last night.

I guess this team has to be compared to 98 and 99, because it was about the same caliber team. 98 lost to Michigan in Yost in an up-an-down affair that was pretty evenly played. 99 just could not get it going against BC and got outplayed by BC.

2004 showed up to play, played well, deserved to win, and did not get the puck-luck needed to win at this time of year. I thought they did everything they could to win, and that is all you can ask of a team. There are no moral victories in the playoffs, so I'm not suggesting that people should feel better because the team outplayed Denver. Criticize them for not finishing their chances, but bounces and goaltending are part of hockey, and the Sioux were not able to overcome those things last night. They tried, though. I'm not sure they could have tried any harder or done much differently, other than the obvious.

This is what the Swami said on USCHO:

"I am indeed happier than a pig in pig poo, but I must say that despite my tears of joy at going to Boston, I feel terrible for the Sioux, who outskated, outworked, outshot and outplayed us tonight and deserved to win the game. The Sioux are a great tradition in our game, and it pains me when one WCHA team has to knock another WCHA team out. Sometimes, the best team doesn't win, and we were certainly lucky to have a shot go in...."

Another Denver fan:

"The Sioux were obviously the more talented team, and infact deserved the win. There's no denying that. Do not hang your heads in shame, because the loss did not come due to overconfidence or lacidasical play. It was an absolute war on the ice tonight, starring not one, but two outstanding netminders."

I can't think ill of the team after they played their guts out. But that's just me. Thanks, Sioux, for some great memories and good luck in the future.

I HATE MARCH!!! :0

I cannot imagine how the Sioux players must feel after that loss. I feel like my whole life just fell apart. What a disappointing end to an awesome season. Life goes on and next season cannot come fast enough.

Just a little thing to remember, whether it's Duluth or the Gophers (I pray to God it's Duluth) who yank Berkhoel down to earth the Sioux will get to put up the banner that says "WCHA Champions" and Denver can put up their measily "NCAA Tournament Appearance" banner.

I realize as a Gopher fan this is probably not the best time for a first post, but here goes.

Congratulations Sioux on an excellent year. I honestly feel Berkhoel stole that game from you. I can't say I am not relieved to not have to face you again assuming we can get by Duluth. The Gophers and Sioux have an awesome rivalry and the only way that's possible is for both teams to be excellent.

I look forward to many years of elite competition between us and the rest of the WCHA.

After a night's fitful sleep, and a good workout this morning, I have to say that losing was actually what makes our game great. Rankings, seedings, draft choices, etc. mean nothing once the puck drops. On any given night, any team can win through hard work, heart, luck or "Fate". We had a great season and finished on top of the best league in college hockey, which is better than many of us expected. The same league that sent five teams to the tourney, where the odds favor a WCHA winning another Title. The guys left everything on the ice and, for whatever, reason, Denver got the puck luck. Maybe it was their time to go to the Frozen Four. Best of luck to Denver, UMD and Minnesota as they work towards the Fleet.

After a night's fitful sleep, and a good workout this morning, I have to say that losing was actually what makes our game great. Rankings, seedings, draft choices, etc. mean nothing once the puck drops. On any given night, any team can win through hard work, heart, luck or "Fate". We had a great season and finished on top of the best league in college hockey, which is better than many of us expected. The same league that sent five teams to the tourney, where the odds favor a WCHA winning another Title. The guys left everything on the ice and, for whatever, reason, Denver got the puck luck. Maybe it was their time to go to the Frozen Four. Best of luck to Denver, UMD and Minnesota as they work towards the Fleet.

Did you just wish the Gophers good luck? I hope they get hammered by Duluth. I don't know any Gopher fans that would root for the Sioux if they were in a similar position.

If we need a little excuse

I have to think the altitude had an affect & DU was not as affected ?

(can't they use oxygen on the sidelines ?)

But we were not as good as we thought & once again other teams got better (?)

But it was a great season & FUN !

Hopefully all the guys come back - maturity & experience will do wonders for this team

J P played well & they just got lucky - we didn't

Thanks Midco for televising the games

Did you just wish the Gophers good luck? I hope they get hammered by Duluth. I don't know any Gopher fans that would root for the Sioux if they were in a similar position.

I would root for the Sioux if the Gophers weren't playing. Not that I expect that sentiment returned. Let's be honest, everyone roots for the underdog and typically less competitive team.

The Sioux and their fans have nothing to be ashamed of. You won the conference title in the most dominant and difficult league in college hockey. One game does not prove or disprove a team's talent and ability (that's why we play a season). The WCHA went up against the CCHA in 4 games and won all four. The CCHA played one game against the east and won. The teams in the WCHA post the hardest strength of schedule. Look at our leagues losses in overall record and most come within the league, NOT against other teams.

You should feel very proud to win the WCHA. Its very hard to do, and while many fans of ALL teams will say winning the NCAA tournament is all that matters... that just proves you got lucky at the right time. Winning the conference (especially in the WCHA) proves you worked hard and shows consistent talent and skill night in and night out for 6 months, not just 2 weeks. Win did the Gophers last win the WCHA? 1997, and we had to share that title with who???

Let's be honest, we only "hate" each other because we both have great programs with high expectations and long winning tradition.

You had the better season than any other WCHA (or any other college) team out there. Kudos... that's something 60 other teams can't say.

I just don't buy the "puck luck" thing anymore. This has been a pattern the last couple years and I can't help but think there is a reason for it. I've never seen a team that had so many games where the dominated play, got more shots, got more quality chances, but LOST. Yes, it is part of the game and it happens to every team from time to time. But this team has had way more than their fair share. There HAS to be a reason.

I just don't buy the "puck luck" thing anymore. This has been a pattern the last couple years and I can't help but think there is a reason for it. I've never seen a team that had so many games where the dominated play, got more shots, got more quality chances, but LOST. Yes, it is part of the game and it happens to every team from time to time. But this team has had way more than their fair share. There HAS to be a reason.

I disagree. It was a pattern last year, but you just can't say that it was a consistent problem for a team that won 30 games, that led the nation in scoring (by a lot), and that led the nation is scoring differential.