SiouxSports.com Forum

Jack is back ...

The Sicatoka

I'd like the Cogswell Cannon, but it's probably too much of a time commitment for him.  He's younger than the norm, actually knows football from playing QB at UND, great on-air personality and perspective when doing games with Big Eddie and Hammer in the past.

• Upvote 3

Jack is very professional and obviously has lots of experience. I don't think there are a lot of choices out there short of bringing someone new to the market, which is probably more money than they want to pay. At the end of the day he spends 5 days a week bleeding yellow and then magically puts on his UND hat on Saturday - he covers it well but the reality is he's not a part of the community.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Jack is very professional and obviously has lots of experience. I don't think there are a lot of choices out there short of bringing someone new to the market, which is probably more money than they want to pay. At the end of the day he spends 5 days a week bleeding yellow and then magically puts on his UND hat on Saturday - he covers it well but the reality is he's not a part of the community.  

This is true. He's an NDSU guy and there's no denying that, unfortunately. Nevertheless, he's good at what he does so there's that at least. 

3 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Jack is a pro. And pros have to eat like the rest of us, and they know which side their bread is buttered on. 

Also, given the recent/coming market change that is behind Jack's return, that demographic will have a new radio home: Will they still listen to Jack's 740 The Fan show (or the KFGO family of stations)? I suspect those folks will move up the radio dial permanently for their yellow journalism. 

31 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Jack is a pro. And pros have to eat like the rest of us, and they know which side their bread is buttered on. 

Also, given the recent/coming market change that is behind Jack's return, that demographic will have a new radio home: Will they still listen to Jack's 740 The Fan show (or the KFGO family of stations)? I suspect those folks will move up the radio dial permanently for their yellow journalism. 

Theoretically this could open up more airtime for UND football...assuming we continue to trend upward. 

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This is true. He's an NDSU guy and there's no denying that, unfortunately. Nevertheless, he's good at what he does so there's that at least. 

You got one part right.  He is an AG school guy.  The comment about him being good?  Personally, I'm not a fan and feel he is way overrated.  Unfortunately the pool of qualified individuals is not that great in this market, hence people seem better than they really are.  IMO, there is only one top notch play by play guy in the area.  Take a bow Mr. Hennessy!

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Old Time Hockey said:

You got one part right.  He is an AG school guy.  The comment about him being good?  Personally, I'm not a fan and feel he is way overrated.  Unfortunately the pool of qualified individuals is not that great in this market, hence people seem better than they really are.  IMO, there is only one top notch play by play guy in the area.  Take a bow Mr. Hennessy!

When I say "good", of course it is a relative term. For example, compared to Sweeney on the radio last season, I'll take Michaels. I was initially excited last season when I heard Sweeney was going to call games, being he is a UND guy and has no allegiance with NDSU. Nevertheless, Sweeney was just pure bad at calling games on the radio. Nothing against Sweeney personally, but he just didn't have "it". Jack Michaels is at least reasonable.