SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota Rule

Sioux fan since '90

Same goes for the TV contracts. The Gophers have a larger audience than other schools so they will garner more market and air time htna other schools. Face it. They make more money. They have a larger audience. They will continue to. Again, not fair and even, but that is life sometimes. Homer announcers, well we'll just let that one lie. EVERY team that has any small home advantage has homer announcers....especially when you are on the opposite team.

WPoS

The problem is that road games aren't theirs to sell. If Michigan and Ohio St. decided they wanted to do a separate TV deal apart from the Big Ten (becuase they are the ones people want to see.) the other schools would scream bloody murder. Why is that so difficult to comprehend? Again, the Gopher TV contract kills the possibility of a league-wide deal and that is to the detriment of the league. It would be great to have a league wide deal with say Jim Rich doing play-by-play and then getting color commentators from that week's home school. If the Gophers wanted to do a side deal to get games on more power to them. That is what Boston U. does to supplement the Hockey East contract.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Gophers should be forced to play the Thursday night game also, then the WCHA can have 3 possible night games (although not likely). Add that to the Minnesota Rule and I won't have a problem with it anymore.

Go Sioux.

I like the way you think! :glare:

If it is so good for the WCHA to have the Gophers play at night, how about having them play three nights!!! No matter where they are seeded. Think of all the revenue! :) Send this idea to McCleod.

I can live with the Minnesota Rule, but in turn, the league should insist that the tv network that gets the rights to televise the Final 5 must televise the Friday afternoon game. Right now, it's possible that FSN is the only station bidding on the Final 5 so they can pretty much do whatever they want. Hopefully once Victory Sports gets picked up by the cable/dish providers, FSN will have some legitimate competition for television rights to the Final 5 and the league will get a more comprehensive bid.

Hopefully the Gophers will give you all a few more reasons to hate them before the year is through! If bumping the Sioux to the afternoon game at the X, is the best the Gophs can do to p*** you off, the Sioux will have had a fantastic season!

OH how things have changed! Four months ago I was at REA for the Gopher games and there was a sign in the student section that read "Minnesota the land of

10,000 excuses" After reading some of these posts it looks like its not just Minnesota fans that whine but Sioux fans as well.

I can live with the Minnesota Rule, but in turn, the league should insist that the tv network that gets the rights to televise the Final 5 must televise the Friday afternoon game.  Right now, it's possible that FSN is the only station bidding on the Final 5 so they can pretty much do whatever they want.  Hopefully once Victory Sports gets picked up by the cable/dish providers, FSN will have some legitimate competition for television rights to the Final 5 and the league will get a more comprehensive bid.

This is the most sense that I have read on this thread, MKSioux.

Damn straight. Would be no problem for the league to make this stipulation. It makes perfect sense, and draws the near perfect compromise.

Besides, as Sagard notes with mild concern, we are going to kill the Gophers if we run into their sorry tails again this year. This is consolation enough.

Moreover , I get to pull the kids out of school and skip out of a miserable job to watch the Fighting Sioux.

Minnesota Rule ain't so bad from these eyes, at least right here and now.

Gophers are pumping their chests. Minnesota Rule saves them immensely. Two games instead of three. That is huge for a team that is long on bumps and still short on confidence.

Four straight over SCSU. Big deal.

Geez. What are we all gonna do when the puck stops sliding?

PS. Hockey1, go home and lie down by your dish.

OH how things have changed! Four months ago I was at REA for the Gopher games and there was a sign in the student section that read "Minnesota the land of

10,000 excuses" After reading some of these posts it looks like its not just Minnesota fans that whine but Sioux fans as well.

I don't think Sioux fans are whinning, it just seems rediculous to have UND finish the regular season as the champs, win their home series and then have them play the afternoon game, just to appease the Minnesota fans. UND should be rewared for finishing the regular season ahead of the Gophers. This just proves the WCHA's love for the Goofers. Oh well I will be at all the games. Go Bull Dogs.

So now most UND fans have to get up early to drive to the Cities, not knowing what the roads will be like. Yeah, that seems real fair. Oh wait, we could leave Thursday and pump even more money into the Minnesota economy by staying in a hotel an extra night. Yeah, that seems fair as well. :glare:

The league will never know if Minny draws in the afternoon until they play in the afternoon. They'll never know if teams like UND and UMD can draw at night until they are given their right to play at night. I cannot agree with anyone's argument on this until it is actually proven by fan attendance.

FSN is a joke. I suppose the Sioux webcast won't be allowed either.

So now most UND fans have to get up early to drive to the Cities, not knowing what the roads will be like.

actaully, the weather is supposed, I say SUPPOSED, to be mid 50's on Friday and Saturday, so the roads should be fine. Think of it this way: you will miss rush hour traffic! Hey, that is a bonus driving in from the NW! Gotta find a ray of sunshine for you SOMEWHERE! :glare:

WPoS

actaully, the weather is supposed, I say SUPPOSED, to be mid 50's on Friday and Saturday, so the roads should be fine. Think of it this way: you will miss rush hour traffic! Hey, that is a bonus driving in from the NW! Gotta find a ray of sunshine for you SOMEWHERE! :glare:

WPoS

Any idea if the Sioux game will be on the radio down here in the cities? Want to tune in discretely at work if possible. Thanks

I for one think that the game times and pairings could not have worked out much better for the Sioux.

The fans whom are not able to attend the games are being hurt by the TV coverage but really this is about the Sioux hockey team and their chances to win the Final Five.

Playing a much lower ranked team on a half days rest, then (hopefully) playing the Dogs or Gophs in the championship game after they beat each other up the night before while our players rest - - - - - could it play out any better?

We the fans are important to the UND hockey team, however, we are just that, fans. Lets look at what is best for the team and their chances.

GO SIOUX!

I for one think that the game times and pairings could not have worked out much better for the Sioux.

The fans whom are not able to attend the games are being hurt by the TV coverage but really this is about the Sioux hockey team and their chances to win the Final Five.

Playing a much lower ranked team on a half days rest, then (hopefully) playing the Dogs or Gophs in the championship game after they beat each other up the night before while our players rest - - - - - could it play out any better?

We the fans are important to the UND hockey team, however, we are just that, fans. Lets look at what is best for the team and their chances.

GO SIOUX!

Good Points...Only reason I'm pissed is because I wanted to go to the game Friday night and watch the Sioux....Now I'm going to be sitting at my desk with thoughts of the lamp being lit not knowing who is doing the scoring. I sure hope it is on the radio.

I agree that bashing the Gophs is poplular but it only gives them reason to think they are important. Really they are not, the only teams that matter are the SIOUX and whomever they are playing in the next game.

Let's not give Minnesota any reason to think they are something they are not!

North Dakota Hockey,

Minnesota is playing only two games because Wisconsin CHOKED against Alaska

and Denver lost to CC, it is not because of the Minnesota rule.

You are correct sir.

Don't know what I was thinking. I meant to suggest that IF things had gone per plan, and IF the Gophers had to play Thursday night, they would get the benefit of the Minnesota Rule to get more rest than the winner of the play-in game will this year.

The Minnesota Rule makes for an unlevel playing field tilted in favor of the Gophers.

All in all, BFD. Let the Gophers get their corporate body politic into the seats Friday night.

The real hockey fans will be in the building on Friday afternoon. This, of course, includes all of the many fine Gopher fans who are astute enough to buy tickets for games other than those in which only the Gophies play.

We'll be there all week, all games. Here is my dilemma. We long ago bought West Regional tickets for many reasons. I am concerned that a CC run will put the Sioux into another region. Cain't be having that, now kin we?

Go Seawolves. Go Sioux. Go Gophers. What could be better than a Saturday night clash of the titans, with not quite everything yet on the line?

I can't wait until The Ralph has an expansion to 18,000 seats and I can whine about the "North Dakota Rule"!

I can't ever imagine a scenario where the games would be played in Grand Forks. Besides being the HOME arena for one of the leagues teams (which the Xcel is most definitely not) I can't imagine that Grand Forks has enough hotel rooms to support the tournament.

Just in case anyone cares, the majority of hotel rooms in St. Paul are sold for this weekend. I highly doubt that Grand Forks has nearly as many hotel room as St. Paul.

Besides - the "Minnesota Rule" hasn't really helped Minnesota all that much. If Minnesota were to win the Final 5 every year, then I think the WCHA would re-visit the idea. But, as it is, Minnesota does not win it every year...nor will they win it every year.

Get over yourselves, Gopher fans. This isn't about you. It isn't about Grand Forks. It's about Sioux fans not being able to watch their team on TV in the playoffs. If you were in the same position, you'd be just as steamed.

Get over yourselves, Gopher fans. This isn't about you. It isn't about Grand Forks. It's about Sioux fans not being able to watch their team on TV in the playoffs. If you were in the same position, you'd be just as steamed.

it is easy to watch your team PCM, anyone can still buy tickets there are still plenty available on the club level. I heard one UND fan here say that Gopher fans don't travel well.... :glare: I always get the full package so I assure myself I don't miss my beloved Gophers. IMO everyone whho is consistantly in the top five should do that. No complaining that way! And yes, I am going Thursday night and taking the WHOLE day off on Friday and plan on going to watch the UND game...

WPoS

Circumstances here easily lead to conspiracy theories:

- Minnesota gets what some could easily call preferential treatment

- Only one semi-final, the one Minnesota is in, gets TV coverage, yet

- The play-in game gets coverage?

Is it that Minnesota gets better numbers (gate or TV) or,

that Minnesota doesn't want any other good teams (semi-finalists) playing on "their network" and possibly looking better? (Hey, it's a conspiracy theory. It's supposed to be a little wacky.)

There's an easy way to make all the conspiracy theories and rhetoric die:

Show five at The Five.

Us Gopher fans will get our chance to whine during the regionals. :glare: Only about the lack of television availability though!