SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruits

GBpakrzz

A few more central players that would be good to recruit for the sioux are Pat Lindgren, and Josh Stengl. They both are seniors at central, and tough talented players

Central was a good team, but there is no way this many kids are going to play D1. After Marto, Moreland, Lamoureux, McIntyre and Dvorak the talent level drops off. Stengel and Lindgren are good ND high school players, but they are no where near the level of players like Lee and Oshie. After a few years of juniors they may develop to the D1 level, but I don't see them ever playing for the Sioux.

D1 teams are going to start getting burned by recruiting kids that are only 16 years old. Hockey players often peak at an early age. When I was in high school Toby Schneider (Andy's brother) was a hockey god - better player than either Panzers. He had a full beard in the 9th grade, played varsity hockey when he should have been a bantam, but looked like he was 30. I think he ended up playing for Concordia, we all know where the Panzers ended up. My point is not every kid that shows potential lives up to it.

I agree.

They wont all be going to Lincoln anymore. The USHL is tier one now, so while the teams can hand pick a couple players, the majority of the players will be distributed through a draft. That's how the Morelands ended up in Sioux Falls. Jacques Lamoreux was drafted last year too, by Green Bay I think. So I'm not sure if he has to play for them when he goes to the USHL or not.

Last I checked, GB had dropped Jacques from their protected list. He actually has a decent chance, along with PJ to end up in Lincoln some how since they play for Chad Johnson in Bismarck, Steve's brother. While a team might not be able to hand pick players, there are always trades that could be worked out between teams. I think Lincoln is always going to have a pipeline for ND players, at least as long as Steve is the coach.

Jacque will not be playing for the stars next year, he can not crack the Bobcat line-up nighly. PJ is getting better he might have a shot, As far as the Grand Forks high school players time will tell when they take the next step. I think one of the Moreland's might end up @ St. Cloud, that just because of there older brother. Lets face the facts the last 3 three have been great for HS hockey player going D1, If you think hard the one's that are playing D1 did not win ND Mr. Hockey. Why, because to make to D1 and get playing time(no token roster spots)you have to leave HS early. Grant and Ryan P , Lammy, Irmen, Sedevie, Massen and there are more. I believe Ziggy stayed, but he not getting any playing time. Ziggy made mistake #1 being from GF and wanting to play for the Sioux. He should have taken his talents to a smaller D1 program and played.

Jacque will not be playing for the stars next year, he can not crack the Bobcat line-up nighly. PJ is getting better he might have a shot, As far as the Grand Forks high school players time will tell when they take the next step. I think one of the Moreland's might end up @ St. Cloud, that just because of there older brother. Lets face the facts the last 3 three have been great for HS hockey player going D1, If you think hard the one's that are playing D1 did not win ND Mr. Hockey. Why, because to make to D1 and get playing time(no token roster spots)you have to leave HS early. Grant and Ryan P , Lammy, Irmen, Sedevie, Massen and there are more. I believe Ziggy stayed, but he not getting any playing time. Ziggy made mistake #1 being from GF and wanting to play for the Sioux. He should have taken his talents to a smaller D1 program and played.

Do not assume Ziggy made a mistake unless he himself tells you he did.

He may be happy with this decision, even if he's not seeing tons of ice time. No way for us to know what it is that draws a player.

I hope Ziggy gets playing time as much if not more than the next person ??? But he's always wanted to play for UND, I doubt he'd consider it a mistake, taking into consideration that he planned on walking on to a school that is known for it's abundance of goaltenders. It was a "lucky" break that he ended up with a partial scholly.

Central was a good team, but there is no way this many kids are going to play D1. After Marto, Moreland, Lamoureux, McIntyre and Dvorak the talent level drops off. Stengel and Lindgren are good ND high school players, but they are no where near the level of players like Lee and Oshie. After a few years of juniors they may develop to the D1 level, but I don't see them ever playing for the Sioux.

D1 teams are going to start getting burned by recruiting kids that are only 16 years old. Hockey players often peak at an early age. When I was in high school Toby Schneider (Andy's brother) was a hockey god - better player than either Panzers. He had a full beard in the 9th grade, played varsity hockey when he should have been a bantam, but looked like he was 30. I think he ended up playing for Concordia, we all know where the Panzers ended up. My point is not every kid that shows potential lives up to it.

Very well put. I also love to see local kids, but we have to be realistic. Central got beat by Warroad 6-2, and it wasn't even that close. Moorhead beat Warroad 4-2 on Warroad's home ice. What is my point? Most high school kids are not ready for college right out of high school, and those that do are usually from the elite programs in Minnesota. There always have been a handful of ND kids capable of playing in the WCHA, but it is not realistic to think that most of these kids are good enough. If they are, we probably will not know until they play a year or 2 or junior hockey. You are just not going to see ND kids jump right out of high school to the Sioux like you will with Shattuck kids, USHL kids, or even the elite players from Minnesota high school powerhouses.

Personally, I like the fact that the Sioux recruit from all over. It is great to see 5 or 6 kids from ND, and a roster filled with the top kids from Minnesota, Canada, Illinois, Michigan and Colorado. The powerhouse programs in other sports have kids from all over. Why should the Sioux be any different?

There always have been a handful of ND kids capable of playing in the WCHA, but it is not realistic to think that most of these kids are good enough.

Do you honestly believe it is realistic to think that most MN kids are capable of playing in the WCHA? There are obvsiously many who can/will play in the WCHA, but not most of them.

I definitely agree that only a handful of ND kids are capable of playing in the WCHA, but you have to remember that ND has a lot less kids playing hockey compared to Minnesota.

I hope Ziggy gets playing time as much if not more than the next person ??? But he's always wanted to play for UND, I doubt he'd consider it a mistake, taking into consideration that he planned on walking on to a school that is known for it's abundance of goaltenders. It was a "lucky" break that he ended up with a partial scholly.

That the problem kids from ND all want to play for the UND that they get caught up in the hype. DB will keep taking these kids because they come cheap. The problem comes in the following years when the best kid in the country want to come and play. DB will play with the local kid heads a litte more, thinking they are happy to to be on the team. The more ND kids leave to showcase there talents @ the D1 level the better the state will be in the long run. If Ziggy could tell you how he feels, I would lay 10-1 he wish he went to UMD.

Do you honestly believe it is realistic to think that most MN kids are capable of playing in the WCHA? There are obvsiously many who can/will play in the WCHA, but not most of them.

I definitely agree that only a handful of ND kids are capable of playing in the WCHA, but you have to remember that ND has a lot less kids playing hockey compared to Minnesota.

You are totally misinterpreting my post. I never said that most Minnesota kids are capable either. However, it stands to reason that Minnesota hockey, which has hundreds of schools playing hockey, is going to have more D1 prospects and more blue chip players. You will see a select few Minnesota kids from the top programs that can jump right from high school to college. It is difficult in ND because of the numbers and the competition. Minneapolis teams are at a competitive advantage because they have so much competition available with a 50 mile radius. Reputation also plays a part. There are ND kids virtually every year that are as good as the top kids in Minnesota such as Jeff Panzer, Potulnys, Irmen, but they usually have to prove themselves for 1-2 years in juniors to get their shot.

Well since I'm in Lincoln and don't exactly have the opportunity to pop by and ask him, Maybe someone from the board can speak with him regarding this. You seem sure that he would say he regrets it. Why would you say this with out having personally talked to him about it? Currently I don't think he would get much more ice time at UMD, and not only that, he would be farther away from friends and family. And there is also the possibilty that he's having fun in his classes and enjoys the entire experience of being a student athlete at UND.

Well since I'm in Lincoln and don't exactly have the opportunity to pop by and ask him, Maybe someone from the board can speak with him regarding this. You seem sure that he would say he regrets it. Why would you say this with out having personally talked to him about it? Currently I don't think he would get much more ice time at UMD, and not only that, he would be farther away from friends and family. And there is also the possibilty that he's having fun in his classes and enjoys the entire experience of being a student athlete at UND.

well put...........like the women, the hockey players at UND get whatever women they want

As much as everyone would like to handpick a good recruiting class from North Dakota..i think it is unrealistic that you can take your pick from these local grand forks kids..and think that they are indeed better than the top prospects from minnesota that are considering UND. I dont mean to fluster the locals around here..but i mean..to pull one or two kids out of grand forks taht actually has the potential to play for UND would be generous. Moreland and McIntyre are real good hockey players, i am not denying that. But im really not thinking they have the ablility to 1. make the jump and 2. out play top recruits from minnesota.

TJ Oshie will be the next player to come to the sioux from high school. if not THE next..he will be the one from next years recruiting class.

I don't like seeing the Potulnys go to U of M, Moreland to SCSU, and I think there's a Fargo kid at Notre Dame and a Grafton kid at Michigan State. We don't have a lot of D-1 talent in the state of North Dakota, but we should be able to land every player that is good enough to make it.

Just out of curiosity I put together a list of North Dakota kids currently playing D1. It consists of 10 forwards, six defensemen and three goalies. Not a bad team:

1st line: R Potulny, Fylling and G Potulny

2nd line: Irmin, Cory McLean (Notre Dame) and Grubb (Alt Cap at Wayne State)

3rd line: Garrett Larson (SCSU), Kresbach (Wayne State), Masson and Gasparini (Vermont)

Def Pair 1: Schneider and Markuson (Alt Cap at Mich State)

Def Pair 2: Fuher and Bina

Def Pair 3: Eikman (Neb-O) and Mike McLean (Cap at Army)

Goalies: Sedevie, Ziegleman and Haaland (Neb-O).

Matt Moreland scored last night for Sioux Falls. Good to see that. I would like to see UND get Brett Gilbraith in 2-3yrs after some junior experience. This kid is the real deal, and is a really focused kid. He wants to get better and has that drive to be the best. Hopefully he finds a spot on a junior team, and we would love to see him put on a UND jersey.

Did anybody see Jordan Willert (sp) from Minot play in the state tournament? I think he's a sophomore (maybe junior) but he's a big kid who I hear may have a future in the game.

He's a sophomore. He's huge and has a huge shot, but very slow-footed. He will have to improve his quickness and speed or others will pass him by. Paul Weisgarber of South (sophomore) and Mario Lamoreaux of Central (9th grade) are more skilled. Thomas Campbell of Grafton (sophomore) is also good.

Tied with Greentree (UAF, first in the regular season) for second after four games:

http://bchl.bc.ca/stats_hockey.cfm?leaguei...=1413&link=BCHL

I see the list doesn't go down far enough to see Checko... ;) Hmmmm, playoff dropoff / choker; he will fit in nicely with tradition at his chosen institution of higher learning... :D

I see the list doesn't go down far enough to see Checko... ;) Hmmmm, playoff dropoff / choker; he will fit in nicely with tradition at his chosen institution of higher learning... :D

Keep it up. :) Vanek was mercilessly mocked for getting shut down in his last year of USHL playoffs. Of course, many are still mocking him.