SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Michigan Tech & The MacNaughton Cup

MafiaMan

What an awesome weekend to be a Sioux fan. Nice job this past weekend, boys, and nice job Coach Blais! I had my doubts about a sweep at UMD but you pulled it off. I can't wait to make the trip to GF this weekend to see you hoist the MacNaughton Cup.

I can't remember what season it was, but UND clinched the cup with either wins at Mankato, St Cloud, or Duluth. I remember being totally disappointed because I expected the cup to be in the building and that I'd get to see the team skate around with it. Turns out the ever-wise commisioner Bruce McLeod decided to let the Sioux hoist the cup the following weekend at home. Thanks, Bruce. It took four or five years, but I'm finally going to get to see the team do it in person. Just a suggestion...when a team wins it (home or away), you should get it presented to you that night. The team can always show it off at the next home series anyways.

Go Sioux! Looking forward to this weekend and in seeing you again at the X for the Final Five!

Michigan Tech can be a pesky opponent and nothing is given to the team yet. Hopefully they will not take Tech for granted. No one wants to share the Cup with Duluth, so hopefully the team will be flying again this weekend.

I think the Duluth series shows the team has learned how to play at a high level again, and has regained their confidence. Let's keep it rolling!

Dagies,

You're right...I'm ASSUMING that I'm not coming to Grand Forks to watch the Sioux get swept themselves and see the cup FedEx'd to Madison when UMD clinches. :p

That being said, I think the Sioux have come too far to suffer a let-down now. I'm optimistic they won't disappont.

I just can't see the Sioux not clinching and in a convincing manner. The Mankato series seemed to get the Sioux playing like they should.

Just the same I hate the idea of playing 4 (or 5) straight against the same team. Look for Parise and Bochinski to add to Hobey point totals. Bochenski seems to be getting chances they just aren't going in.

Let's just say it feels good to be home. 1. Fighting Sioux 2. XXX

It's been three long years since we won the MacNaughton. Man us Sioux fans are lucky. Teams like Duluth have waited over ten years...since 1993 let alone three straight years of winning it.

Let's just say it feels good to be home. 1. Fighting Sioux 2. XXX

It's been three long years since we won the MacNaughton. Man us Sioux fans are lucky. Teams like Duluth have waited over ten years...since 1993 let alone three straight years of winning it.

:p Sigh...and last weekends result means one more year of waiting. All UND needs is 2 pts. Against Tech, I'd say that is a done deal.

:p Sigh...and last weekends result means one more year of waiting. All UND needs is 2 pts. Against Tech, I'd say that is a done deal.

You guys have got nothing to hang your heads about...I think (before the season)if anyone would have said the 'Dogs would be going down to the end scratching and clawing for the Cup, Frenchy would have butt in and put your mug back up on the shelf and sent you home! (WAIT - Just traveled back in time there, sorry...Oh the good old days!) Sande's finally got things going his way and you can only expect to get better. After all, he learned from the best!

Don't get me wrong...I am very happy with second place,and I still think the Dogs are legitimate NC contenders. We were in the drivers seat for the McNaughton, needing only a split against the Sioux to position ourselves to win for the first time in eleven years, and we just could not get it done AT HOME. The Sioux established dominance in the first period of game one, and then clung to debris long enough to survive with a sweep (14-2 SOG in 3rd period Saturday). This weekend,we had a legitimate chance to be MORE than 2nd fiddle to the Sioux, and we blew it. That's what the sigh is for. Now I have to endure all the 5-0 jabs...at least until we meet in the Final Five Championship Game (God willing)!!!

You are correct that the Dogz dominated the third period on Sat. but don't forget that UND dominated the second in much the same fashion. I think the shots in the 2nd were like 14 or 15-6. UND seemed to go into a defensive minded game in the third and were just dumping the puck in. That being said the Dogz really played well in the 3rd and could have easily tied the game if not for JB.

You are correct that the Dogz dominated the third period on Sat. but don't forget that UND dominated the second in much the same fashion. I think the shots in the 2nd were like 14 or 15-6. UND seemed to go into a defensive minded game in the third and were just dumping the puck in. That being said the Dogz really played well in the 3rd and could have easily tied the game if not for JB.

Good point. In the 3rd we noticed that the Sioux were stopping half-way into the zone and sending one forward in deep. While I can see in theory that can work so far in the weekend they had success on the forecheck and keep the puck deep in the zone. I thought they could have put more pressure on the Dogs by staying with the aggressive forecheck.

I'm no expert so maybe I was wrong with this impression but that's how it seemed to us.

Frenchy would have butt in and put your mug back up on the shelf and sent you home!

What did ever happen to the mugs behind plexiglass wall that was there when Frenchy's closed? Buried with the building?

My Dad had his mailed to him, or he picked it up.  But he also worked there at one point and time.  But from what I understand is that anyone who had a cup could have gone and picked it up

I know that's right, but I wondered what happened to those that weren't picked up. Are they now buried on the spot? Mine is there somewhere. Maybe in a time capsule? :p

Hopefully we don't take the Huskies as lightly as this Duluth Tribune writer does!

"The Bulldogs still have a

shot at the league championship with a sweep, but realistically, with North Dakota hosting league doormat Michigan Tech next weekend, the Bulldogs are in a fight for second place."

Go Sioux!!

Hopefully we don't take the Huskies as lightly as this Duluth Tribune writer does!

"The Bulldogs still have a

shot at the league championship with a sweep, but realistically, with North Dakota hosting league doormat Michigan Tech next weekend, the Bulldogs are in a fight for second place."

Go Sioux!!

hee hee

That's actually pretty funny.

I mean..how many years has Mich Tech finished in last??

I was at the Michigan Tech series up in Houghton in January. I have a feeling number 20- John Scott will be all over the Sioux. He was pretty vicious that weekend. He's not that great on skates- Seemed to be on the ice to use his 6'7" body to knock around the guys. I would expect him to start a fight this weekend. GO SIOUX!

I was at the Michigan Tech series up in Houghton in January. I have a feeling number 20- John Scott will be all over the Sioux. He was pretty vicious that weekend. He's not that great on skates- Seemed to be on the ice to use his 6'7" body to knock around the guys. I would expect him to start a fight this weekend. GO SIOUX!

Rumor is, Blais gave the Green light for a certain player to throw down if Scott is willing. Read the previous sentence for a clue to the players identity. ???

Normally I don't give much credit to rumors, but the source is reliable. I don't see the Tech coach giving Scott the go being he has at least one match penalty for fighting Hale, I believe the rule is 1 game for 1st fight, 2 for second, after that there is meetings with commissioners.

Rumor is, Blais gave the Green light for a certain player to throw down if Scott is willing. Read the previous sentence for a clue to the players identity. :D

Normally I don't give much credit to rumors, but the source is reliable. I don't see the Tech coach giving Scott the go being he has at least one match penalty for fighting Hale, I believe the rule is 1 game for 1st fight, 2 for second, after that there is meetings with commissioners.

I've been waiting two years for that. I hope so. That'd be sweet. ???

First & formost, I would like to take the opportunity of thanking Sprig for checking up on me I really do apperiate that a whole lot. Second, this weekend series some are say a sweep. What's that old saying "don't count your chickens before there hack." I think I have gotten that right if not please forgive me. Third, is the game going to on satlite or direct tv? If anybody knows could you please be kind enough to let me know thank you.

A "FIGHTIN SIOUX" FAN SINCE 1973.

First & formost, I would like to take the opportunity of thanking Sprig for checking up on me I really do apperiate that a whole lot. Second, this weekend series some are say a sweep. What's that old saying "don't count your chickens before there hack." I think I have gotten that right if not please forgive me. Third, is the game going to on satlite or direct tv? If anybody knows could you please be kind enough to let me know thank you.

A "FIGHTIN SIOUX" FAN SINCE 1973.

Welcome back Gator, I am goon and I am out...

I think the satelight information is up on the http://theralph.com

Here are a couple links to articles about this weekends games.

Everything is up for grabs

Here is a good quote from the above article about Final Five Tickets.

Tickets for the WCHA Final Five in St. Paul are as hot as league coaches are at times at calls - or lack thereof - made by WCHA referee Don Adam.
Party time at Engelstad?

ICH WCHA review

Here's a funny quote about the Bulldogs/Badgers matchup that has to do with the Cup.

In Madison, the series between Wisconsin and Minnesota Duluth will determine second place in the WCHA. (Yes, UMD fans, we know that if the Bulldogs sweep and Michigan Tech wins twice in Grand Forks, UMD would win the MacNaughton Cup outright. If that scenario came to pass, the trophy would likely be handed to the Bulldog captains by James Bond, Happy Gilmore and Andre