SiouxSports.com Forum

03-04 Regionals

sprig

Would guess most have seen this article on USCHO concerning MTU bidding on the 03-04 extra west regional. The article lists the following on the schools that have placed bids:

Tech officials indicated their competition in the running for the Midwest bid includes the Kohl Center in Madison, Wis., Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids, Mich., and, for the 2004 regional, Yost Arena in Ann Arbor, Mich. Yost is scheduled to host the West Regional in the 2003 tournament.

Mariucci Arena in Minneapolis and the National Hockey Center in St. Cloud, Minn., are also believed to have submitted bids.

Thought GF and the REA were bidding on a regional also in the next two years. Does anyone know if the REA has a bid in? Appears that they did not, although it sounds like the writer didn't know for sure who did. Did he just overlook REA as a bidder? Do we still have to wait until 2006 for a regional?

The NHC in St. Cloud. Wonder if they could win a playoff game at home, assuming they make it?

The Sioux will no doubt have a chance at making the tourney in the next two years. Assuming Michigan and Minnesota have good chances also, would make it tougher if matched against Michigan at Yost, Minnesota at Mariucci, or even SCSU at the NHC (some day they'll probably win one). Not that the REA has been a home ice advantage for the Sioux in its first year, but it will no doubt become an advantage sometime soon, we hope.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spring it was in the paper a while back I suppose a couple of months ago now. The story had basically stated UND had bid for a Regional Site, I can't see MTU or SCCC getting a regional.

I don't know maybe Hennesey isn't as credible as I thought but I assume his information is also accurate.

The story is about MTU's bid for the regional. The writer apparently didn't try to find out who else bid. Appears that MTU feels their only competition is Michigan (Yost), Grand Rapids (MSU?) and Wisconsin (Kohl).

Maybe that's true, and maybe the NCAA isn't interested in leaving the Michigan venues for the next couple years.

I know both the World Center (CC) and the REA are scheduled for future regionals, so maybe they won't be considered for the "new" regionals the next two years.

I had heard "rumors" that REA/UND were considering a bid for the expanded regionals.  However, I have heard nothing official from the school.  

I could see Kohl and Mariucci/Xcel hosting regionals, but the NCC?  If SCCC gets a regional, it will be the last one, as the NCC is the poorest excuse for a hockey arena I've seen in years, and I doubt anybody else would bother going to that warehouse unless they had to.

Have seen the quality, or lack thereof, of the SCSU building mentioned before. Can't blame them for trying though, they need every advantage possible based on their performances the last three years.

If SCCC gets a regional, it will be the last one, as the NCC is the poorest excuse for a hockey arena I've seen in years, and I doubt anybody else would bother going to that warehouse unless they had to.

That is a horrible arena the National Concrete Center. They have no seats on the end of the arena and their sound system sucks. The place is an absolute dump. I think the old Ralph would be a better venue than the NCC.

I would be awfully surprised if the REA did NOT bid for regionals in 2003 and 4.  Can't imagine why they wouldn't.  It is obvious they want to use and showcase that building as much as possible, and why not.  Therefore, until I officially hear otherwise, I will believe that they have bid.

I would think there is a decent chance of landing one.  The arena has to be one that people in hockey circles would like to see if they haven't to this point.  

Just my suppositions.

If the National Concrete Center gets a regional maybe Fargo should bid to hold a regional in the Fargo Mausoleum, errr, I mean Coliseum, or maybe Valley City or Mayville-Portland should bid using their new arenas. :(

Heck, by that standard, REA II in TRF's got it locked up! :D

And maybe the host team could get an auto bid, allowing NDSU to make it to the NCAA's in their first year (if they can find enough students with skates). Can't wait for the bisononice web site :D

Looks like there was a bid for a regional from an REA. Here's the list from the USCHO story:

East-Providence, R.I.; Manchester, N.H.; Lake Placid, N.Y.; Rochester, N.Y.; Bridgeport, Conn.; and Lowell, Mass.

I actually interpret the proposed rule changes as removing some of the current bias toward weaker conferences.  It makes sense to make such changes now that CHA was granted a berth (there's a BIG gap between WCHA and CHA in talent).

The proposal to change RPI from 35-50-15 (wins, opponent wins, opponents' opponents wins) back to 25-50-25 makes strength of schedule more important.  The increased weight on strength of schedule will favor middle teams from the big conferences over top teams from the small conferences.

Similarly, changing the definition of TUC (teams under consideration) to .500 RPI instead of .500 record will also favor the big conferences.

The other considerations (such as adding a strength of schedule to the last 16 games criteria) also seem to be part of the movement to favor teams who play a more difficult schedule.

I agree.  From the way this is all explained, these seem to me to be sound ideas that make sense.

I'm not sure I think it is a big deal to consider big losses at home or big wins on the road.  That seems to me to be a little too nit picky.

I definitely agree on the "big losses at home" and "big wins on the road" being poor indicators.  I don't see how either of those provide additional insight about the quality of the team.  

The fact that it was a win or loss is already recorded in winning percentage.  The strength of the opponent is already reflected in RPI.  Why over- or underweight a game because it's subjectively considered "big"?

Of course, bringing in worse teams who manage to win the "big" games does make the tournament more exciting (and, hopefully, thereby increases revenue).

Apparently its official, I think its a load of crap they just had a regional a few years back and they get another one.

U to host hockey regional: With the NCAA Division I men's hockey tournament expanding to 16 teams next year, the Gophers will be host of one of the two additional four-team regionals at Mariucci Arena on March 28-30.

Yost Ice Arena in Ann Arbor, Mich., and the Worcester (Mass.) Centrum Centre already were scheduled to play host to West and East regionals, respectively, under the old six-team format. Now, they will become four-team regionals.

Goon,

Where did you see that in print?

Not surprised, after the bucks the NCAA made on the FF this year, I'd guess that most years we'll see the west regionals in both the Twin Cities and Michigan, and in those years that another site gets a regional (ie CC in 2004, REA in 2006), the other will be in either MN or MI (MI in the years mentioned, since the selected site is WCHA). I'd think other Michigan venues would get to host a regional, however, rather than every year at Yost.Can't see SCSU ever getting one since they are so close to much better arenas (in the Cities).

Wonder how the Twin Cities will do if MN is not in the regionals? Little chance that Michigan doesn't make it most, or all years, playing in the CCHA.

MN fans totally disappeared from the old Engelstad during the 83 FF, after they stunk it up and lost in the semi's. Building was virtually empty for the third place game (which was still played then), where MN stunk it up once again. On the other hand, with the Sioux not getting selected, it appeared there were few fans from North Dakota present either, for any of the games.

Would guess, though, that Minneapolis is well enough located that they'd draw well no matter which WCHA teams make it there. Wouldn't guess there would be many Gopher fans there, however, unless the Gophers play.

If the REA does not get a regional before 2006, turnout that year will probably have much to do with whether Grand Forks will have any success in bidding on hosting another future regional. Great arena, but little chance of landing many regionals unless lots of tickets are sold. The Sioux need to make the tourney that year.

Wonder if the NCAA college hockey site selection will ever be delayed,

The press release was in the Pioneer press yesterday. I found it looking at the sports. It doesn't surprise me. The NCAA is looking at Minnesota as being a cash cow. NCA$$.

I am really basically bored with the Politics of the NCAA it basically means that now Michigan and Minnesota are going to get the NCAA regional game from now on. I think its a bunch of S#!t. I bet the first time that Minnesota doesn't make the NCAA their arena will be a ghost town.

I bet the first time that Minnesota doesn't make the NCAA their arena will be a ghost town.

Don't be so bitter, it's not that long of a drive and you will

have a good time in the cities if the Sioux have the good fortune of making it.  I wouldn't worry about the attendance,

when we had the regional two years ago, (Minnesota was not in it) Mariucci was full.  Granted there were alot of Wisc. fans, but Mariucci was full.  :D

I agree.  The last time the regionals were at Mariucci, there was a pretty solid crowd even though Minnesota was out of it, although there were two WCHA teams in it. I don't think getting at least a 3/4-full house would be a problem if there were some western teams with strong local followings, e.g., Minnesota, Michigan, UND, Wisco, etc.   Then again, the NC$$ would probably screw it up and bring in teams like Mercyhurst, Mass-Lowell and Bowling Green.  :)

That said, I wish they'd do the regional at Xcel instead.  You can't have a beer at Mariucci and if you left the arena in 2000 between games to head to Stub's, you couldn't get back in.   :D  Getting tuned up pregame at Stub's and then having a hangover half way through game two is not fun ... :(  :0

I'll believe it when its officially announced.  The story has no official source and its not the type of announcement you would try to get a scoop on.  I think the PP misunderstood the U's release that it was bidding for the tourney.  Not to say that UofM won't get the regional, I just don't think the PP has info that nobody else seems to have.

There is one big advantage to a regional on your adversary's ice (whether playing that adversary or someone else): If you survive that test, how much worse can the Frozen Four site get? I want teams that can survive the toughest tests.