SiouxSports.com Forum

03-04 Regionals

sprig

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure.  

But, there was a USCHO article with hypothetical pairings from 2002 NCAA teams, the next four likely teams, and possible sites.  Having one of the hypethetical regionals at MN was an option in the article and I think the PP took this as an award.  How's that J-School education working out for you?  :D

I would almost rather have a regional in MN than in GF for personal convenience but I would rather see REA get it.  What did I just say??  :(  :D

The regional in 2000 at Mariucci was excellent.  Maybe it was the teams but the place had excellent attendance.  Regionals are fun. Hope to see the Sioux this year close by, either MN or ND.

Didn't the USCHO article say something like the regional sites won't be announced until the end of June?

Yes, it did. The committee made the selections but won't announce them until later. The article also said, however, that the info leaked in the past prior to the announcement.

Yes, it did. The committee made the selections but won't announce them until later. The article also said, however, that the info leaked in the past prior to the announcement.

Maybe the Pioneer Press jumped the gun. That is where I pulled that article out of. Maybe there was a leak in the information, or maybe the information wasn't suposed to be out yet I posted the link earlier in this thread...

Post-season tournament hosts 2000-2006:

Minnesota-

2000 Final 5

2000 regional

2001 Final 5

2002 Final 5

2002 Frozen 4

2003 Final 5

2003 regional *unconfirmed

2004 Final 5

2005 Final 5

2005 regional

2006 Final 5

Rest of WCHA combined in same time period:

CC - 2004 regional

UND - 2006 regional

Wisc - 2006 Frozen 4 (in Milwaukee)

I realize Minnesota is a great tournament host and makes the WCHA and NCAA $$, but this is a bit rediculous.

They will still need to pick additional sites for the upcoming years do to tournament expansion.  With luck REA will land one in 2004 +.

Let's hope one thing.  If fans turn out in GF, there will be no reason not to hold regular regionals at REA.  The size of the take is too good.

I'm assuming that with WCHA sites already selected for 2004 through 2006, the extra regional will go to a CCHA site (Michigan). Which means, no playoffs or regionals in REA until 2006 (selected previously).

I'm assuming that with WCHA sites already selected for 2004 through 2006, the extra regional will go to a CCHA site (Michigan). Which means, no playoffs or regionals in REA until 2006 (selected previously).

Michigan probably would bode well for SCCC. I think the bids are probably still being accepted for 2004 and 2005. We will see I guess...

And the answer is .....

http://www1.ncaa.org/members....-02.htm

Summary:

Recent and future sites include:

Year East Midwest Northeast West

2002      Worcester      N/A         N/A               Ann Arbor

2003      Providence      Ann Arbor         Worcester       Minneapolis

2004      Albany      Grand Rapids      Manchester           Colo. Springs

2005      Worcester      TBD         TBD               Minneapolis

2006      Albany      TBD         TBD               Grand Forks

Rationale.  Other sites that submitted bids include (guarantee amount is in parentheses): Lake Placid, New York ($230,850); Rochester, New York ($308,319); Bridgeport, Connecticut ($332,344); Amherst, Massachusetts ($191,040); Green Bay, Wisconsin ($119,750); Grand Forks, North Dakota ($232,631); Denver, Colorado ($257,255); St. Cloud, Minnesota ($135,000), Madison Wisconsin ($173,212), and Omaha, Nebraska ($115,008).

Recent and future sites include:

East Midwest Northeast West

2002      Worcester      N/A         N/A               Ann Arbor

2003      Providence      Ann Arbor         Worcester       Minneapolis

2004      Albany      Grand Rapids      Manchester           Colo. Springs

2005      Worcester      TBD         TBD               Minneapolis

2006      Albany      TBD         TBD               Grand Forks  

c.      Budget Impact.  The guarantee amounts for the recommended sites are as follows:

Providence: $331,425

Manchester $275,625

Minneapolis $414,037

Grand Rapids $277,312

Helps tell the story.... :D

Also, very interesting:

2.      Host Honorariums.  The committee voted to award the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, and Boston University its full 10% honorarium for serving as hosts for the Men's Frozen Four and East regional, respectively.  These amounts equal $160,262.77 for Minnesota and $34,686.40 for Boston University.  The committee voted to reduce the honorarium for the University of Michigan from 15 percent to 10 percent (the difference from the Men's Frozen Four and East regional percentages is because Michigan hosted the West regional on campus).  Additionally, Michigan will automatically have this amount reduced by 25 percent due to the lateness of the submission of the financial report.  Rather than receiving an honorarium of $30,923.20, the University of Michigan will receive an honorarium of $20,615.25.  The reduction in the honorarium was due primarily to crowd control issues.

3.   Misconduct.  The committee issued a public reprimand and withheld transportation and per diem reimbursement to the University of Maine for comments made by student-athlete Peter Metcalf, that were critical of the officials.  These comments were made during the press conference following the championship game.  The committee also issued a letter of private reprimand to a student-athlete for inadvertently flipping a puck into the stands during a preliminary-round game.

My understanding is that those numbers are the amount of revenue that the venues guarantee to the NCAA.  If that's the case, it makes sense for smaller market venues to make higher guarantees.  The NCAA has few fears that a regional in Minneapolis will make it enough $$$.  A regional in Grand Forks, on the other hand, has to make higher guarantees to appear competitive.