SiouxSports.com Forum

Crazy Ending in WCHA

jloos

I can't remember when the final week of play will determine so many seedings. The top seven seeds are up for grabs this weekend. The Sioux are probably the easiest to predict, winning first. If we sweep Tech, Tech will be back the next weekend for another ass-kicking. :p CC/Denver UMD/WI and SCSU/MN are huge series, it would be fun to sit in a sports bar and watch them all on TV. If the Sioux get up big early, I may have to do just that.

Notre Dame swept MI (Fargo's McLean had a couple of goals), a Duluth sweep next weekend pretty much gives them a #1 seed in the NCAA's. Trying to predict the West is very difficult. There are 7 teams I could see winning the WCHA and 5 teams winning the CCHA. If MI doesn't win the CCHA it is going to be them and whoever does from the CCHA in the NCAA's, that should be it. If CC sweeps Denver, it would be hard to keep them out, but I don't see them getting an invite unless they make it to the FF and win at least one game there and MI wins the CCHA.

I hope Duluth gets the other #1 seed, beating a good team like them 5 times in a season is tough, I don't like the odds trying to beat them for a sixth.

2 pts for the Sioux guarantees a share of the MacNaughton and the #1 seed in the WCHA tournament (Sioux would win the H2H tiebreaker with UMD).

The Badgers can overtake UMD for 2nd, leaving UMD in 3rd, with a sweep in Madison (and we all know exactly how possible that is). Any other outcome guarantees the Badgers spot #3, and the Bulldogs #2 if the Sioux get at least 2 pts, or #1 if the Sioux fail to get at least 2 pts.

4-7 is a dogfight; each of the teams vying for these spots is playing another team vying for these spots, making the permutations ugly. Denver has the H2H for seeding over Minnesota and SCSU. If the Gophers don't do better against SCSU than Denver does against CC, Minnesota faces an unenviable play-in series in Denver.

Who will the Sioux face in the play-in? AA, Mankato, or M. Tech.

• If UND sweeps Mich Tech or gets 3 pts, the Sioux finish 1st, Tech 10th (Tech loses the tie-breaker against Mankato for seeding), Sioux host Tech.
  • If UND gets two points against Tech, UND finishes at least tied for 1st, gets the #1 seed via tie-breaker w/UMD, and Tech earns enough points to pass Mankato. Sioux host Mankato.
  • If UND gets 0 or 1 points against Tech, Tech climbs to 8th and drops AA to 9th. If UMD gains enough pts to finish 1st (3 more pts than UND earns), at #2, UND hosts AA; otherwise, at #1, UND hosts Mankato.

The first tie-breaker is not the head to head comparison. The first tie-breaker is for WCHA (Conference) wins and then the next being the head to head and finally goal differential. Just thought I'd let you know. Because if UND only gets 2 points and UMD gets 4 points their win total goes to 20 in conference and the Sioux's goes to 19 with only one win.

Time to Sweep the Huskies

H2H IS the first tiebreaker, as it always has been. Should we have taken only 3 points in Duluth, then got swept by Tech, and Duluth get swept by Wisco...we all tie for the McNaughton...the BADgers win the first tiebreaker (4-0), we finish 2nd, Duluth 3rd. At least that is according to Milewski, the WCHA USCHO writer. Can't imagine he wouldn't get the memo.

How's this senario, since the Dulldogs play Wisconsin 30 minutes earlier than the Sioux play Tech, Friday night with 3 minutes left in regulation at the Ralph "final now in WCHA action Duluth 3 Wisconsin 5" (enter cheers) while the Sioux are leading Tech 4-1. :p

Will the Sioux celebrate Friday no matter (if they win) since they at least clinch a share?

How's this senario, since the Dulldogs play Wisconsin 30 minutes earlier than the Sioux play Tech, Friday night with 3 minutes left in regulation at the Ralph "final now in WCHA action Duluth 3 Wisconsin 5" (enter cheers) while the Sioux are leading Tech 4-1. :p

Will the Sioux celebrate Friday no matter (if they win) since they at least clinch a share?

What kind of scenario is that? If Wisco beats Duluth on Friday, and we beat Tech, we win out right. Duluth can't make up 4 points in 1 game...not possible. So, yes we would celebrate on Friday.

H2H IS the first tiebreaker, as it always has been. ... At least that is according to Milewski, the WCHA USCHO writer. Can't imagine he wouldn't get the memo.

Well, I'm 100% certain that it has been H2H first in the past, and I like to think that even I would've gotten the memo if that were changed, but I'd still be happy to consider a legitimate source that indicated otherwise.

There may be a rule on the books that if teams were to have played only twice, head-to-head would not be a tie-break criteria. However, I am very sure that UND would get top seed if they end up tied with UMD. Nice work this weekend for your crew. Wow.

What kind of scenario is that? If Wisco beats Duluth on Friday, and we beat Tech, we win out right. Duluth can't make up 4 points in 1 game...not possible. So, yes we would celebrate on Friday.

I realize. Presumably if we win on Friday we at least share (regardless of other games outcome). My question was that they'll celebrate Friday and not wait til Saturday night to see if they can celebrate exclusively?

There may be a rule on the books that if teams were to have played only twice, head-to-head would not be a tie-break criteria. However, I am very sure that UND would get top seed if they end up tied with UMD. Nice work this weekend for your crew. Wow.

That's the way the FoxN broadcast had it last night; h2h first unless the teams had only played twice.

Tech will not be getting more than 2 points this weekend. The best UMD can do is tie...and that is with a road sweep of Wisco. I just hope the Dogs can get ONE point, and assure themselves a #2 spot, and a first round series against MSU-M.

I really don't like the prospect of playing Tech 4 (or 5) games in a row.

Initially, I didn't like that idea, either. But the more I think about it, the more I like it. Four straight games in Grand Forks against the top team in the WCHA and the nation? If I'm a Tech player, I think I might want to get that over with as quickly as possible.

If I'm a Tech player, I think I might want to get that over with as quickly as possible.

If I'm a Tech player, I would be fired up! It's not impossible to win 2 in GF. UMD nearly did it in 2000 (won game one, led in game 2 until late in the second) when they were a ten seed.

That still doesn't answer the question, which is: If both Duluth and UND win Friday, will there be a MacNaughton Cup celebration that night?

A Friday win by each team would mean that there's still a chance UMD and UND could tie for the title Saturday night.

If I were Blais, I'd say no cup presentation until after Saturday's game, even if the Bulldogs lose Friday. And if both UND and UMD win Friday, why give MTU extra incentive to beat the Sioux Saturday by skating around with the cup on Friday?

as of right now they have no idea WHERE to have the cup. No offense fellas, but if UND drops a few eggs, they would have to rush it over to UW to give to the Dogs. Presentation of the cup will wait till there is a clear winner, i.e.; Dogs drop Friday and UND wins Friday.

WPoS

There will be no eggs laid this weekend WPOS. How could an egg be laid with the outright title on the line. Sioux will sweep this weekend, Tech is no match for them if they even bring their "B" game. Scores were 8-4 and 4-0 in Houghton.

as of right now they have no idea WHERE to have the cup.  No offense fellas, but if UND drops a few eggs, they would have to rush it over to UW to give to the Dogs.  Presentation of the cup will wait till there is a clear winner, i.e.; Dogs drop Friday and UND wins Friday.

WPoS

If, by some strange alignment of the planets, UMD was to win the Cup, it would be presented at the DECC during the 1st round of playoffs. It has already been stated by UMD officials that they would want the ceremony on home ice. It is basically a moot point since UND will sweep MTU and skate around the Ralph with the MacNaughton Cup this weekend! :p

As far as when to present the Cup, I would say as soon as you know you have won it outright let the celebration commence. Let them party on Friday, play the seniors & scrubs on Saturday and get ready for whomever comes to town the following weekend.