SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Lake Superior State - Friday Gameday

AZSIOUX

Best fans in college hockey.....unless we're losing.

Boy...no kidding? Almost sickening to read the melt downs. I feel Cam is getting dialed in, he has had no experience in college. Anyone would be nervous, as soon as he figures it out at the start instead of 5:00 mins in, should be good. I'm hoping anyway!

Nice win boys, congrats coach!

Watched the Maine - Michigan State game after the UND - LSS game, which wound up in a 3-3 tie after OT.  They did have a shootout, which was won by Maine 1-0 but I believe the game is officially a tie.  I was not impressed with the skating of either team.  Maine played more physical than Michigan State, but both teams took some stupid penalties with Maine taking way too many penalties.  Our conclusion was that UND is a faster better skating team with better passing.  But it will likely come down to goaltending.  If UND gets the Cam Johnson that played the last 54 minutes of the game against LSS, they should win.  If the goaltending is nervous again, then Maine could easily win on Saturday.

Watched the Maine - Michigan State game after the UND - LSS game, which wound up in a 3-3 tie after OT.  They did have a shootout, which was won by Maine 1-0 but I believe the game is officially a tie.  I was not impressed with the skating of either team.  Maine played more physical than Michigan State, but both teams took some stupid penalties with Maine taking way too many penalties.  Our conclusion was that UND is a faster better skating team with better passing.  But it will likely come down to goaltending.  If UND gets the Cam Johnson that played the last 54 minutes of the game against LSS, they should win.  If the goaltending is nervous again, then Maine could easily win on Saturday.

Honestly, not too many teams out there that will outskate us on any night. We are loaded with speed from top to bottom.

A poster on USCHO in the Maine thread said it appeared Maine was bigger and faster than UND. Who's correct?

There is no conceivable way anyone could interpret from yesterday's games that Maine is faster than UND.  And that is unanimous in our group.  Maine may be a little bit bigger, but Maine could not handle Michigan State last night without taking a ton of penalties.  MSU did not have UND's ability to grab a turnover and head the opposite direction with speed.

For years I have felt that Maine and UND had developed a friendly rivalry associated with the Shawn Walsh era and his passing.  UND held a Native American Ceremony for the Dead on the ice the year after his passing when Maine came to UND.  If Maine fans are as whiny and upset tonight about legitimate penalty calls as they were last night, that feeling will be long gone in my mind.  The penalties called on Maine last night against Michigan State were legitimate, and yet they were as whiny as junior Gopher fans.  Maine will have to drastically step up their speed tonight.  You cannot hit what you cannot catch.  And I will say it here:  If UND's young gunners hit the net with accuracy, especially on the power play, it could be a lopsided victory for UND.  There is a reason Maine was picked to do poorly in Hockey East this year.

There is no conceivable way anyone could interpret from yesterday's games that Maine is faster than UND.  And that is unanimous in our group.  Maine may be a little bit bigger, but Maine could not handle Michigan State last night without taking a ton of penalties.  MSU did not have UND's ability to grab a turnover and head the opposite direction with speed.

For years I have felt that Maine and UND had developed a friendly rivalry associated with the Shawn Walsh era and his passing.  UND held a Native American Ceremony for the Dead on the ice the year after his passing when Maine came to UND.  If Maine fans are as whiny and upset tonight about legitimate penalty calls as they were last night, that feeling will be long gone in my mind.  The penalties called on Maine last night against Michigan State were legitimate, and yet they were as whiny as junior Gopher fans.  Maine will have to drastically step up their speed tonight.  You cannot hit what you cannot catch.  And I will say it here:  If UND's young gunners hit the net with accuracy, especially on the power play, it could be a lopsided victory for UND.  There is a reason Maine was picked to do poorly in Hockey East this year.

I sincerely hope you are right!

Good to have some eyes on site to give us a scouting report.  Thanks, Siouxman.

On another note, don't have too many at happy hour to make it to the game!

Edited by dagies