SiouxSports.com Forum

It's Quiet Around Here

jk

Sure is quiet around here.  When does school get out at UND?  I assume a lot of the guys stick around for the summer - skate and workout and work and goof off.  I hope they work hard and come back ready to go.

I just ran across an old write-up, dated 9/2/01, on Hockey's Future about Derrick Byflugien (sp?).  Since this was written before the season even started, perhaps his leaving was a foregone conclusion.

"Derrick may go the college route but the Senators will most likely ask him to play in the CHL instead as a cerebral player can only benefit from the additional 30 games the CHL provides. The poorman's Paul Mara. The good news is that he's still very young."

I don't know how he has done since he left.

What the #### does that mean?  A cerebral player can only benefit from 30+ more games?  Does that mean they thought Derrick was already a smart kid?

I don't get it.  My guess is the Senators would want me to stay in school.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope Golf. 72 holes of some of the worst golf ever played in the Red River Valley over the weekend. Actually wasn't that bad. Sure was nice today.

Great Series going on in the NHL right now. Av's beat Detroit Red Army in over-time. St Patrick and the Av's up 3 games to 2. :0  :D  :(

Nope Golf. 72 holes of some of the worst golf ever played in the Red River Valley over the weekend.

So does Ray Richards have divots? Spend much time yelling "fore" at the cars on Demers.

Not much golf here, but looking forward to shooting birdies in October :D

So does Ray Richards have divots? Spend much time yelling "fore" at the cars on Demers.

Not much golf here, but looking forward to shooting birdies in October <!--emo&:D

Actually it would be Lincoln Golf Course and Valley Golf Course, I don't like Ray Richards Golf Course very much... I have pull hooked a few down 42nd street though.

Actually my three some was good enough to win a three man scramble in the C flight of a tourney at Lincoln this past weekend. However, It is probably the last time I play at Lincoln, that course was in horrible shape...

Coming Soon Kings Wind Tunnell. Check out that course man. Some of those holes are going to be Driver, Three wood Three Iron on a Windy Day...

Love the GFCC too...

Goon:

I used to play a course that had a hole where the first number on the yardage marker was a '6', as in 607 yard par 5. Oh, did I mention the elevated green?

And people wonder why I carry a driver, a spoon, and a driving iron.

If you aren't sure what those are check out http://users.stargate.net/~histgolf/history/oldclubs.html .

Let's see, 320 to the hole, should I hit cleek and lofter or driving mashie and niblick or play it safe and go mashie and spade?

You have to love those old "Gutta Percha" club names. :D

Had no idea that GF had built a links course. Wonder whose dirt they hauled in to turn Lake Agassiz into a rolling coteau-like habitat.

Links courses are springing up everywhere. This one looks nice, sure a switch from the "almost always tilled black" RRV.

Back to the tube to see if Carolina can finish the Leafs.

Goon:

I used to play a course that had a hole where the first number on the yardage marker was a '6', as in 607 yard par 5. Oh, did I mention the elevated green?

And people wonder why I carry a driver, a spoon, and a driving iron.

In my case a hole that long would be Driver, three wood, three wood, probably a seven iron after that. The longest Par 5 I have ever played I think was in the 570 range. Most courses around the Grand Forks area don't have par 5 that long. Someone told me there is a course up in Manatoba that supposively has a par 6 that is about 650 yards long. Ouch.

Goon:

That 607 played slightly uphill (elevated green). It was playing into the wind one day. That's the day I learned, with a good lie, I can hit my driver as a fairway wood (driver, driver, 2 iron, chip on, two putt, ouch).

Things a bit dry too, so you may not be able to shoot at my ducks this year :D

Sprig don't worry there are enough ducks to go around out here in Eastern ND. Trust me. Don't listen to the stories about too many hunters and not enough land. More than enough to go around.  :(  :0  :)  ;)

Geez, that's a lot of shooting, Goon.

Had duck for the first time myself last year.  We did bring a few home from Sprig's neck of the woods.  Have heard a lot of people rip wild duck. Yeah, it may not be much to drink but hey, if you know how to stuff and baste it it can be #### tasty.  I'm for eating some more of it.  

The snowstorm hit the second day of our trip last year.  We hunted for 2 days with decent success, considering.  And then the hunt was cut short due to the unfortunate and untimely death of my brother-in-law's dog (vet thought it was some sort of rare bacterial infection).  Man, was that a downer.

Man, now you've got me talking about it.  I'm all pumped up for this fall.  We'll have an experienced springer machine, and 2 pups working the fields for us this fall.  Can't wait.  It will be a bit wild, but fun.  I just wish there were a few more birds here in south central MN