SiouxSports.com Forum

Goalie Coach

tboneund

Should UND hire a goalie coach?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND hire a goalie coach?

• Yes, full time, better coached/trained goalies mean more wins.
    • Yes, but a part-timer would be adequate.
    • No, Blais and the rest do just fine.

I thought that while goaltending is the hot topic we might as well find out how many people think UND should have a goalie coach...I'm not the first or only person to advocate UND hiring a goalie coach.

Having a goalie coach would allow Blais more time to work with the offense and defense and provide our goaltenders with better training to help them improve their game. However, I think that a part-time goalie coach would be adequate, at least to start with and then we could bump them up to full-time if the coach and goalies thought it was necessary.

I'm no great hockey mind but I do think we need a goalie coach. Either hire a goalie coach or get a great goalie that doesn't need as much coaching. I do think that with goalies like Brandt and J Par we do need a goalie coach because they aren't as polished as other goalies.

I'm no great hockey mind but I do think we need a goalie coach. Either hire a goalie coach or get a great goalie that doesn't need as much coaching. I do think that with goalies like Brandt and J Par we do need a goalie coach because they aren't as polished as other goalies.

I wonder if Toby K (Kavolavog, I not sure of the spelling) is still out there willing to coach for the Sioux goaltenders. Actually Toby did some coaching the year after he graduated If I am not mistaken. Blais also said that he had the ability to pass on the skills to young goaltenders.

Maybe a person that is an ex-goaltender completing his studies could be of some help to the coach. I know Bob Mason worked with Adam Hauser on a volunteer basis.

I wonder if Toby K (Kavolavog, I not sure of the spelling) is still out there willing to coach for the Sioux goaltenders. Actually Toby did some coaching the year after he graduated If I am not mistaken. Blais also said that he had the ability to pass on the skills to young goaltenders.

He's still doing it somewhere.

http://www.mnhockeycamps.com/coaches.html

It looks like almost everyone thinks there needs to be a better job of dealing with our goalies. The real question is, would Blais even listen to the goalie coach? :lol:

I think the goalie coach would be there to coach the goalies, nothing else. I don't think he would have any say in determining which goalie would be starting. Therefore, I don't think Blais would have to listen to the coach ever.

I think the coach should be full time. I think that way Blais would be more likely to listen to him. Plus, the goalie coach could get a lot more video watching done and even on opposing goalies.

I love the idea of it being a guy like Toby K. He is known to the program and coach Blais.

Maybe we could get the goalie who lead the greatest NHL team that no longer exists to the Stanley Cup Finals in 1991.....

Jon Casey!!

Good idea.

Could the goalie coach be an assistant coach for the defense as well? Therefore expanding his responsibilities and making him more cost effective? Or at least give him another job with the team so that the expense is more justifiable.

I don't know. Just rambling while half asleep and in pain.