SiouxSports.com Forum

BESC vs. REA

UND-FB-FAN

Proof that the REA draws more than the Betty in terms of attendance (obvious why it would seem).

The REA should host a few MBB games every season; my opinion for the reasons mentioned above. Faison should look into this.

Its been looked into and Faison etc has made a conscious decision to not have Bb in the Ralph. An NDSU game drew 7000 on a Tuesday and over 10,000 on a Saturday. Maybe the REA board objects or maybe the hockey coaches get pissed because they can't practice there. The women hockey team hasn't played a game in the Olympic rink for years: why is that?

When the IPF is complete, the old Hyslop will no longer have a purpose. Make it into a bowl with decent seats and video screens. Could easily seat 6000. Turn the Betty into a women's hockey arena then. Weekends the Ralph doesn't get used for MHockey can be used for concerts or big MBB games.

The Ralph should be put to use every weekend of the winter. It is, but women's hockey does not draw fans, so its a wasted asset for half the time. Put events there that do. The Sprint Center in KC makes a lot of money, but doesn't even have a pro team, as its busy all the time.

Its been looked into and Faison etc has made a conscious decision to not have Bb in the Ralph. An NDSU game drew 7000 on a Tuesday and over 10,000 on a Saturday. Maybe the REA board objects or maybe the hockey coaches get pissed because they can't practice there. The women hockey team hasn't played a game in the Olympic rink for years: why is that?

When the IPF is complete, the old Hyslop will no longer have a purpose. Make it into a bowl with decent seats and video screens. Could easily seat 6000. Turn the Betty into a women's hockey arena then. Weekends the Ralph doesn't get used for MHockey can be used for concerts or bet MBB games.

Hey SiouxVolley, not sure it would ever happen but I like your thinking! I always thought the old REA would of been a perfect size hoops arena and it was nice as it only had one bowl. Would of been big enough to hold up to 6,000 fans or so, perfect size for even the NDSUs, NIs and SDSUs but if not full it wouldn't look overly empty either.

I just prefer the intimacy of the Sioux Center.  I would like to see the video boards added and the sound system upgraded there.  I'm fine with playing NDSU in the REA.  As long as the lower bowl is full, I like it.  I think you lose a lot of home court advantage when you play in a building that is only at 25% capacity.  Once you start to get over 2,200-2,300 or so in the Sioux Center the atmosphere is exceptional.  Anybody who has been to the Sioux Center when there are 3,000+ on hand can attest that the environment is outstanding.

Until the Sioux Center is routinely sold out, I'd prefer to play all games there, except perhaps NDSU.  Just my two cents.

Still say you hold 5-6 in REA or have all games at the Betty. I don't just like holding 1 NDSU game at the Ralph every other year. Keep it intimate, unless you go more games at REA. However if you did have 5-6 in the REA each year and averaged 4000 like they did in 03 your numbers might look like this.

6 games in REA - 4000 avg

7 games in the Betty - 1700 avg

That would be an average of almost 2800 fans a game total.

I like what SIouxVolley said except Hyslop is off the table I would guess. Heres an idea... Why not just play all WHky in the Olympic Rink (Increase seating a little) and have men's BBall be the 2nd main tenant at REA. They could work with the big sky and NCHC to coordinate schedules. How awesome would that be, one weekend men's hockey at REA and the next college hoops. That could really grow basketball quickly. The revenue potential by having men's bball as the 2nd main tenant is off the charts. Actually can't believe that hasn't been brought up before....seems like a no brainer the more i think about it. The facilities would rival any mid major hoops program and you could really start getting some big time talent.  Think of the caliber coaches and student athlete you could attract in bball. NCAA tourneys = $$$

Still say you hold 5-6 in REA or have all games at the Betty. I don't just like holding 1 NDSU game at the Ralph every other year. Keep it intimate, unless you go more games at REA. However if you did have 5-6 in the REA each year and averaged 4000 like they did in 03 your numbers might look like this.

6 games in REA - 4000 avg

7 games in the Betty - 1700 avg

That would be an average of almost 2800 fans a game total.

I like what SIouxVolley said except Hyslop is off the table I would guess. Heres an idea... Why not just play all WHky in the Olympic Rink (Increase seating a little) and have men's BBall be the 2nd main tenant at REA. They could work with the big sky and NCHC to coordinate schedules. How awesome would that be, one weekend men's hockey at REA and the next college hoops. That could really grow basketball quickly. The revenue potential by having men's bball as the 2nd main tenant is off the charts. Actually can't believe that hasn't been brought up before....seems like a no brainer the more i think about it. The facilities would rival any mid major hoops program and you could really start getting some big time talent. Think of the caliber coaches and student athlete you could attract in bball. NCAA tourneys = $$$

I dont like this idea...

I LOVE IT!

too bad it would never happen

When the IPF is complete, the old Hyslop will no longer have a purpose. Make it into a bowl with decent seats and video screens. Could easily seat 6000. Turn the Betty into a women's hockey arena then. Weekends the Ralph doesn't get used for MHockey can be used for concerts or big MBB games.

The Ralph should be put to use every weekend of the winter. It is, but women's hockey does not draw fans, so its a wasted asset for half the time. Put events there that do. The Sprint Center in KC makes a lot of money, but doesn't even have a pro team, as its busy all the time.

are there pipes in the concrete at the betty?

i like the talk of moving bigger games to the rea side but really what is a big game??? sdsu, ndac, usd?? come on let's live a little...if we have a facility that can sit 12,000 for bball lets really talk about a school that is a bball school then...lets' get some big time teams to come here...Gonzaga, Butler, Creighton, LSU, DePaul, Cincinnati....a friday night game without hockey in town on a friday or saturday night would draw enough to cover the costs of paying them to come here...heck do a 3-1 if you have to get someone like them to come here...

even if you do it once a year...call it the "phil jackson classic at ralph engelstad arena"....once a year...one big time school even bigger than the ones above...find a school that is already playing at u of m one night and make it worth their time to drive the five hours up to play a game the next night??

I dont like this idea...

I LOVE IT!

too bad it would never happen

Why can't it??? Scheels in Fargo hosts NDSU and Force, Century Link in Omaha hosts UNO and Creighton. Whky will never draw more than 1500-2000 fans a game tops...this year way less. Dress the olympic rink up to 2000 seating and make that their home. it's the perfect size.

Why wouldn't you put a sport that can draw 3000-4000 fans a game and potentially more down the road in the REA?? UND suddenly goes from decent mid major facilities to some of the best in the country. We'd be able to compete with MVC schools facilities wise for recruits.

The revenue potential is off the charts for this.....why wouldn't UND and REA look into this. You would now have an awesome bball facility complete with suites video boards and the whole nine yards. Guess what you didn't even have to fundraise for it.

I changed my mind on this after some thought and now think the best thing UND could do moving forward would be to move all games to REA and MAKE MENS BBALL THE SECOND MAIN TENENT AT REA. Someone with vision at REA should look into this. It's not even that big a risk considering men's bball already showed it could draw 4000 in REA in 03. I bet a lot of casual fans would hop on the bandwagon. a couple 1000 extra people at games is a lot of $$$ not to think about.

i like the talk of moving bigger games to the rea side but really what is a big game??? sdsu, ndac, usd?? come on let's live a little...if we have a facility that can sit 12,000 for bball lets really talk about a school that is a bball school then...lets' get some big time teams to come here...Gonzaga, Butler, Creighton, LSU, DePaul, Cincinnati....a friday night game without hockey in town on a friday or saturday night would draw enough to cover the costs of paying them to come here...heck do a 3-1 if you have to get someone like them to come here...

Big time schools don't travel to mid major or lower mid majors except in very special cases like when Kansas came to Grand Forks.  Even a 3 for 1 isn't going to get one of those schools to Grand Forks.  They either go to top level conference schools, tournaments, or host lower level schools and make big money on the home games.  It's a nice dream, but very, very unlikely.

Big time schools don't travel to mid major or lower mid majors except in very special cases like when Kansas came to Grand Forks.  Even a 3 for 1 isn't going to get one of those schools to Grand Forks.  They either go to top level conference schools, tournaments, or host lower level schools and make big money on the home games.  It's a nice dream, but very, very unlikely.

unlv played at usd or sdu last year??? 

use some connections...dale brown....lute olson...these have a lot of pull at those schools to make a one game thing happen...not saying it likely but things can happen if you make them happen...plus most mid majors don't have a 12,000 seat arena with fifty boxes that could be filled if the game is big enough...most play in arena not much bigger than the betty....

Why can't it??? Scheels in Fargo hosts NDSU and Force, Century Link in Omaha hosts UNO and Creighton. Whky will never draw more than 1500-2000 fans a game tops...this year way less. Dress the olympic rink up to 2000 seating and make that their home. it's the perfect size.

Why wouldn't you put a sport that can draw 3000-4000 fans a game and potentially more down the road in the REA?? UND suddenly goes from decent mid major facilities to some of the best in the country. We'd be able to compete with MVC schools facilities wise for recruits.

The revenue potential is off the charts for this.....why wouldn't UND and REA look into this. You would now have an awesome bball facility complete with suites video boards and the whole nine yards. Guess what you didn't even have to fundraise for it.

I changed my mind on this after some thought and now think the best thing UND could do moving forward would be to move all games to REA and MAKE MENS BBALL THE SECOND MAIN TENENT AT REA. Someone with vision at REA should look into this. It's not even that big a risk considering men's bball already showed it could draw 4000 in REA in 03. I bet a lot of casual fans would hop on the bandwagon. a couple 1000 extra people at games is a lot of $$$ not to think about.

One thing that you haven't figured in is the cost to convert, and the time needed.  It takes at least 4-6 hours with a good size crew of people.  And then about the same to convert back.  It isn't cheap to make that conversion.  They have 2 layers that go down on the ice, then put together the basketball floor, add the baskets, etc.  If you're putting 10,000 in the seats it is probably worth it.  I don't know if it is financially for 4,000.

It wasn't done before, so one can conclude that the REA Board doesn't want hard wood sports in the REA, but women's hockey is more than acceptable.

Phil Jackson and Ralph Engelstad are mutually exclusive. Egos.

Piping would have to be installed. The rows of retractable seats would have to be removed, possibly the restrooms too.

any way they could move womens hockey to the betty and dig down in the olympic rink and make that bball with nice below ground lockers (connected to the underground level of the ralph) and a concourse level with the main concourse of the ralph?? probably kind of expensive?

It wasn't done before, so one can conclude that the REA Board doesn't want hard wood sports in the REA, but women's hockey is more than acceptable.

Phil Jackson and Ralph Engelstad are mutually exclusive. Egos.

Yes it has. Back in 02-03 they played NCC conference games there and drew around 4000 a game.

As for the conversions 82 I think you over estimating. If Scheels arena can do it for the 3000 people that attend force and NDSU games I think REA can for 2 UND sports. Plus if you committed to it and UND made a couple NCAA runs i think you would see attendance approach 5000 plus. Their are a ton of basketball fans in ND.

Maybe REA should test it next year with 5-6 games in the REA and if it's worth it make the move to have men's hoops there permenently.

I see nothing but upside with this.

unlv played at usd or sdu last year??? 

use some connections...dale brown....lute olson...these have a lot of pull at those schools to make a one game thing happen...not saying it likely but things can happen if you make them happen...plus most mid majors don't have a 12,000 seat arena with fifty boxes that could be filled if the game is big enough...most play in arena not much bigger than the betty....

There is very little to draw those schools to play at places like UND or NDSU or any other Summit, Big Sky level school.  They make more money going to play at places like Minnesota, Kansas or any Big 5 level schools than UND could afford to pay.  Most also make more money playing low level teams at home where they don't have to pay nearly as much for a guarantee.  Plus they don't want to give lower level teams a home field advantage.  It is a lose-lose proposition for most of them.  They are ranked much higher so they are expected to win.  If they win, they were supposed to.  If they lose, they embarrass themselves.  If you look at schedules around the country, those games are very rare. 

There is very little to draw those schools to play at places like UND or NDSU or any other Summit, Big Sky level school.  They make more money going to play at places like Minnesota, Kansas or any Big 5 level schools than UND could afford to pay.  Most also make more money playing low level teams at home where they don't have to pay nearly as much for a guarantee.  Plus they don't want to give lower level teams a home field advantage.  It is a lose-lose proposition for most of them.  They are ranked much higher so they are expected to win.  If they win, they were supposed to.  If they lose, they embarrass themselves.  If you look at schedules around the country, those games are very rare. 

i totally agree with you but i think some decent sounding bball schools wouldn't mind traveling up from minny if we threw a few dollars at em for an easy bus trip...rea is a very unique facility for revenue (beer and lots of it)...somehow one of the sodak schools got unlv to come up here so its doable...

i just checked and the pentagon is also getting wichita and memphis to come up??

and st johns and wisconsin too???

and it only sits 3200 people??

Yes it has. Back in 02-03 they played NCC conference games there and drew around 4000 a game.

As for the conversions 82 I think you over estimating. If Scheels arena can do it for the 3000 people that attend force and NDSU games I think REA can for 2 UND sports. Plus if you committed to it and UND made a couple NCAA runs i think you would see attendance approach 5000 plus. Their are a ton of basketball fans in ND.

Maybe REA should test it next year with 5-6 games in the REA and if it's worth it make the move to have men's hoops there permenently.

I see nothing but upside with this.

They tried it in 02-03, as you already pointed out.  They decided then that it wasn't worth it.

We don't know how much NDSU is supplementing Scheels Arena to have their basketball games there.  They can't play at home because of the renovations so they may very well be paying what ever it costs to have the games at Scheels.  Extra costs could even be figured into the renovation costs as a cost of doing business.  I helped with the conversion 1 time, so I know how much work it is.

They tried it in 02-03, as you already pointed out.  They decided then that it wasn't worth it.

We don't know how much NDSU is supplementing Scheels Arena to have their basketball games there.  They can't play at home because of the renovations so they may very well be paying what ever it costs to have the games at Scheels.  Extra costs could even be figured into the renovation costs as a cost of doing business.  I helped with the conversion 1 time, so I know how much work it is.

I will take your word on the conversions. I will ask this though I have heard faison talk about the need for a bigger bball arena down the road, i hear fans talk about wanting video boards, suites, club seating, more amenities in the betty. That costs a lot of money to do that and a lot of fundraising. It might be 15-20 years down the road for some of that. I am saying UND has an arena locked and loaded with all of that right now.....NO future fundraising needed except maybe locker room renovations.

Would eating the conversion costs in the short term be worth it to see basketball grow rapidly....The answer to that is a big time yes IMHO. I have no doubt you would see results in fan interest, attendance, recruiting, wins, presteige, etc. Again you have to have some vision which good leaders do. If you try to find excuses for it not to happen it never will. Your conversion costs is the only one of merit I can think of and the long term growth potential right now tells me that is a cost I would pay.

I can tell you NDSU, SDSU, USD, Montana, Montana St, Weber St, and even some MVC schools would be a little worried if UND did this because the bar would be set with UND facilities wise. If other schools are worried it usually means your doing something right.

• Upvote 1

I will take your word on the conversions. I will ask this though I have heard faison talk about the need for a bigger bball arena down the road, i hear fans talk about wanting video boards, suites, club seating, more amenities in the betty. That costs a lot of money to do that and a lot of fundraising. It might be 15-20 years down the road for some of that. I am saying UND has an arena locked and loaded with all of that right now.....NO future fundraising needed except maybe locker room renovations.

Would eating the conversion costs in the short term be worth it to see basketball grow rapidly....The answer to that is a big time yes IMHO. I have no doubt you would see results in fan interest, attendance, recruiting, wins, presteige, etc. Again you have to have some vision which good leaders do. If you try to find excuses for it not to happen it never will. Your conversion costs is the only one of merit I can think of and the long term growth potential right now tells me that is a cost I would pay.

I can tell you NDSU, SDSU, USD, Montana, Montana St, Weber St, and even some MVC schools would be a little worried if UND did this because the bar would be set with UND facilities wise. If other schools are worried it usually means your doing something right.

In my opinion, I don't think that many people are going to show up just because the games are in the Ralph.  At least not on a regular basis.  I've been told that it is a poor shooting background, which the teams don't like.  That is especially true when the upper deck is empty.  It's similar to the problem they have holding games in domes only on a smaller scale.  Because it was designed especially for hockey, the permanent seats are too far from the court to give an intimate environment, and you can't put in bleachers because they would block the view for the permanent seats.  You don't get that feeling of the crowd being right on top of the court that you get at top arenas.  I think that winning games will attract more people no matter where the games are.  I think the Betty can be a very good home without huge costs.  Even the Alerus could be a better option.  The Ralph is a good option for big crowd games, but I don't see it as a great option for every day games.

One other consideration in the matter.  Putting the basketball court on top of ice usually results in lower grade ice, and can result in condensation problems on the floor.  Most arenas that are used for both have plenty of complaints about the ice.  I know that it used to cause problems with the ice at the Ralph.  That was before the system was replaced.  I don't know if it would still cause problems.

My question is why do more fans show up for a game at the Ralph rather than the Betty? Doesn't really make sense to me other than the games at the Ralph seem to usually be advertised a lot more.

Thats a big part of it, and the opponent. I would like to see multiple games there, I think the facilities are impressive and as someone has brought up, the bball players would like it, also making it easier to recruit better talent.  However, I am just asking to get NDSU there for now, maybe a "rivalry" game a year (whatever other school from South Dakota when we travel to NDSU).  Promote the hell out of it, give package deals for families and pack the place!  Show the REA and the Athletic Department it can make money. Something we do all the time is just get people in the door.  Once they are in, they usually spend more money on concessions. Which is where the money is made.  

***too bad the %gobc member is not available to be called on to help with this :-)

#freegfhockey

two words...video.boards.

Are the absence of video boards really what are keeping fans away from basketball games?  I agree that they need to be added, but I have never been on the fence about going to a certain game and said to myself, "I guess I will just stay home today, because after all there is no Jumbotron in the Betty".

Sometimes I think alot of North Dakota fans suffer from REA-Syndrome.  Because the Ralph is ridiculously lavish, we have a tendency to look down on most other facilities.  Take the Alerus for example.  That is a wonderful facility for FCS football, yet many people were pining for UND to move out before the place was even 10 years old.  The Sioux Center is one of the smaller arenas in the Big Sky, but is arguably the most luxurious.  Is it the REA?  No, but there are few arenas in the entire country at any level that match that place.

I think if we had a program that could field a consistent winner and then had video boards and a quality PA system that could get the crowd (specifically students) amped up during the pregame, that the environment in the Sioux Center would be pretty tough to beat. 

• Upvote 1

In my opinion, I don't think that many people are going to show up just because the games are in the Ralph.  At least not on a regular basis.  I've been told that it is a poor shooting background, which the teams don't like.  That is especially true when the upper deck is empty.  It's similar to the problem they have holding games in domes only on a smaller scale.  Because it was designed especially for hockey, the permanent seats are too far from the court to give an intimate environment, and you can't put in bleachers because they would block the view for the permanent seats.  You don't get that feeling of the crowd being right on top of the court that you get at top arenas.  I think that winning games will attract more people no matter where the games are.  I think the Betty can be a very good home without huge costs.  Even the Alerus could be a better option.  The Ralph is a good option for big crowd games, but I don't see it as a great option for every day games.

One other consideration in the matter.  Putting the basketball court on top of ice usually results in lower grade ice, and can result in condensation problems on the floor.  Most arenas that are used for both have plenty of complaints about the ice.  I know that it used to cause problems with the ice at the Ralph.  That was before the system was replaced.  I don't know if it would still cause problems.

I get your points, but a lot of what you are saying I think are reasons to do this. Again think with vision and growth. See below

In my opinion, I don't think that many people are going to show up just because the games are in the Ralph.  At least not on a regular basis.  I've been told that it is a poor shooting background, which the teams don't like.  That is especially true when the upper deck is empty. 

- Although a small sample size history has shown more people will show up if it's at REA. I stick to the opinion that if REA is permenent home to MBB you get at least an additional 1000-1500 on your season average initially, more as it grows. If UND/REA believed that and got after it they would see the results. As for the background after 5 games and some practices suddenly UND is adjusted to it and it's only a problem for the visiting teams. The reasons it's an issue now is because they play one game there every 4-5 years. Won't be an issue after practice and a few games. 

Because it was designed especially for hockey, the permanent seats are too far from the court to give an intimate environment, and you can't put in bleachers because they would block the view for the permanent seats.  You don't get that feeling of the crowd being right on top of the court that you get at top arenas. 

-You and I must've attended a different game when NDSU was there 2 years ago. They brought seating down on the sides and ends right up to the court. bleachers on the ends, and small bleachers and court side seats on the side. If you just used the lower bowl to start with I think it would still be a great atmosphere. Not as good as the Betty jam packed, but the goal is grow UND basketball to 5000 plus attendance and NCAA tourney appearances.

I think that winning games will attract more people no matter where the games are.  I think the Betty can be a very good home without huge costs.  Even the Alerus could be a better option.  The Ralph is a good option for big crowd games, but I don't see it as a great option for every day games.

-I agree winning games will draw fans and winning games is the entire reason you completely move MBB in the REA full time. What helps you win games?..1.Great Players 2. Great Coaching. What helps you attract that?.....Great Facilities, University, etc. I agree the Betty can be a good home, but do you want to sit back while UND plays in the Betty hoping for UND to make the NCAA and that attendance grows or do you want to make it happen right now?

-Again, heres the deal. If you dress the REA up so it's the home of UND MHCKY and UND MBB basketball, basketball suddenly goes up a notch for casual UND fans which will help attendance initially. What grows interest and attendance long term is winning and success. Do you think UND would have more success showing kids around the REA saying this is your home, weight room, etc, and the Betty is where we practice sometimes.....the answer to this is a big time yes...UND would kill it recruiting. Probably could start trying to get multiple 3* type talent kids at UND as it would make a huge impression on kids. Also, some people don't think Jones will be here much longer, what type of coach do you think UND could get if REA was the main home of UND MBB? You could make a serious run at some pretty high level candidates. Ben Jacobson is of the market after this year, but prior to this year I think that is the type of coach you could attract assuming you payed similar. We would have no shot a getting a Craig Smith type now, but I bet he would be a guy who might give it a look if the REA was the main home. 

-No reason with the REA as the main facility that UND doesn't have the top talent in the Big Sky, Summit or wherever it plays which would mean multiple NCAA tourney appearances which means more fans, better recruits, etc. No reason we couldn't be Weber State after 6-8 years drawing 6000-7000 fans in the REA. This whole idea is about winning and building up MBB. 

-Again Scheels arena, Century Link center, Kohl center, etc all make this work.....shouldn't be what holds up UND from doing this. This is small minded thinking on an idea like this.

Facts are facts, and the fact is UND has more growth potential and ability to do big things with MBB than any other sport on campus. Do you want to sit around playing in the Betty waiting for this to happen, or do you want to make it happen by moving MBB to the REA full time. IMHO it is a no brainer. Shoot, do it next year for 5-6 games to test run it and maybe challenge fans a little by saying if we get 4000 plus average in the building for these 5-6 games combined we will move MBB to the Ralph full time and renovate the Olympic for women's hockey. Do it for NDSU, SDSU, UNI, and 3 Saturday Big Sky basketball games when hockey is gone and I bet money you have an average over 4000. Do you know the revenue impact 6 games of 4000 plus fan would have? The potential for moving basketball to the REA is off the charts good for all parties long term. 

• Upvote 1

Is attendance higher for games at the REA because they were at the REA or is it because they have historically played the more well known opponents there?

Regardless, I can't see any way that the REA becomes more than a 1 or 2 times a year at most home for basketball.  Way too much politics.  I like the idea and the fact that people are looking for ways to improve attendance for men's basketball but until the Betty is busting out the seams, its pretty much a non-starter.  And even then I'm really not sure it will gain much traction. 

And I agree with bincity, the Betty is a great atmosphere even when its 2/3's full, let alone at capacity.  Won't argue that there are upgrades needed but atmosphere wise (not financially) a full Betty is much better than a 40-50% full REA.