SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL loses almost $300 million; strike threatened!

Bisonfan1234

What the hell is your point. Since you are 6, I know you don't know this, but there were work stoppages in baseball in '94 and '81. Baseball teams claim to lose money every single year. The NFL had a work stoppage in '87. A lot of teams lose money despite it being the most popular sport in the US. Nearly every DI program in the country loses millions upon millions every single year. The NBA lost games due to a work stoppage a few years before you were born in '96 or '97 I believe, and their teams lose money yearly also. Loss of millions and strikes aren't anything new in sports, but being such a little tike how would you know that?

Again could you please learn to use appropriate sections of this forum to post appropriate topics? Your probably not aware but you posted this in UND Basketball (and other sports) section.

NHL, stands for National Hockey League.

\Hock"ey\, n. [From Hook, n.] 1. A game in which two parties of players, armed with sticks curved or hooked at the end, attempt to drive any small object (as a ball or a bit of wood) toward opposite goals.

Supply and demand. It means that there is not enough demand for NHL to support the supply given by the NHL. They expanded too much (esp in markets where, naturally, no one gives a s&!t about hockey like Atlanta) and spread themselves too thin.

They should be bankrupt but i'm sure they'll find away around it.

Supply and demand. It means that there is not enough demand for NHL to support the supply given by the NHL. They expanded too much (esp in markets where, naturally, no one gives a s&!t about hockey like Atlanta) and spread themselves too thin.

It reminds me of your posts - surplus of crap with no demand.

Clearly, you are emotionally and mentally bankrupt yet you find a way around it by spouting your endless propoganda despite yourself.

Actually Atlanta is pretty fond of its young team and has two budding stars in Danny Healty (former Wisconsin star) and Iyla Kovalchuck who has 61 points good for third in the NHL. They are an exciting young team that has a hugh upside. Stick to football Bison fan

They expanded too much (esp in markets where, naturally, no one gives a s&!t about hockey like Atlanta).

The only sh*t around here is between your ears. Now, go back to the sheep pen, pick up your date and head into town for a few Milwaukee's Best before you call it a night.

Yeah...you can see how much America loves hockey.

College hockey is a joke too...with barely a nadful of big, legitamate schools having programs and a bunch of little schools having programs as well.

That's it, I formally denounce my undergrad degree from NDSU. The last few time I was in Fargo I was wearing my Sioux hockey hat at Playmakers. Some drunken NDSU students started giving me crap, I calmly said, I graduated from NDSU and remain a Bison football fan, but I've been a Sioux hockey fan all my life. The response: hockey's for faggots. NDSU has been taken over by hicks that think cow tipping should be an olympic sport.

NDSU's next great rivalry

NDSU is starting a new rivalry in football with the nationally recognized Northwestern Louisiana State in Natchitoches, La.

When our hockey team is in Denver and Boston this spring playing 'little' schools like Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Boston College and Ohio State I'll find an atlas and try and find where in the hell Natchitoches LA. is and think of how jealous I am of the great D-1AA NDSU. :D

College hockey is a joke too...with barely a nadful of big, legitamate schools having programs and a bunch of little schools having programs as well.

Obviously, our elementary school friend has gotten lost on her way to the bisonville.com smack board.

Perhaps the admin can help her out? :D

NDSU is starting a new rivalry in football with the nationally recognized Northwestern Louisiana State in Natchitoches, La. 

When our hockey team is in Denver and Boston this spring playing 'little' schools like Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Boston College and Ohio State I'll find an atlas and try and find where in the hell Natchitoches LA. is and think of how jealous I am of the great D-1AA NDSU. :D

I am a Bison fan and enjoy hockey. Going to see the Wild tonight.

I don't buy this part of your arguement tough:

When our hockey team is in Denver and Boston this spring playing 'little' schools like Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Boston College and Ohio State I'll find an atlas and try and find where in the hell Natchitoches LA. is and think of how jealous I am of the great D-1AA NDSU. :p

13 of 58 schools that play Division I hockey are Division IA(Only 2 in the WCHA). The rest are I-AA, I-AAA(Denver), DII, DIII(Colorado College). Ferris State, UND's last playoff oponent is Division II. Alaska-Anchorage, DII, isn't on most maps of the continental US. All Ivy League Teams are I-AA, like NDSU will be next year. The Bison too, will have games with IA teams, Minnesota this spring and next, Air Force this weekend and in a new conference, Maryland and Marshall next fall. I think UND and NDSU are both on the right track. Both will be assets to the state of North Dakota.

What a loser....Bad mouthing a sport because you can't participate. You'd be a Division II school playing Division 1 hockey (or at least making an attempt) had the City of Fargo voted to build you a@@holes a rink (and what a "rink" it would have been - LOL)...and UND would be whipping your butts in hockey as well as every other sport. You are really pathetic...

And by the way, while everyone from the Bison camp, including the Forum, blames UND for ending the rivalry, these people need to be reminded that it was NDSU that ended the rivalry when it switched Divisions.

Good luck to you as you take on your new opponents. Your next ten seasons will bring all of us UND supporters much joy and good humor...

This crap spews from someone who said up and down that he/she/it didn't care about hockey. Yet he/she/it posts to the hockey board. Liar.

I didn't post here...my post was moved from the basketball forum.

I think the NHL owner's said it best "...the NHL is bleeding money..."

Yawn...are the Timberwolves on yet?

You poor, ill-informed soul. I'm sorry to see that you have such a surplus of free time that you can come here and post this garbage.

I'm originally from Fargo (and actually just moved back after three and a half years living in Boston), and am always thankful that I didn't attend NDAC (aka NDSU). You and your fellow Bison fans come here and take shots at UND hockey because it's a successful D-I program, and frequently sing the praises of sports like NDSU wrestling. Now there's a sport no one cares about.

By the way, the last time I checked, Grand Forks didn't have an NHL team, so I fail to see the connection between the NHL's woes and UND hockey.

Stick to discussing something you may know about, like farm implements.

jloos,

I guess we disagree on the direction of NDSU. I think they will be fine and like the path they are taking. I like the looks of the new GWC, and the new wrestling conference. I don't really care whether NDSU and UND play in football. I actually like to watch teams like NSU. I am back on the season ticket wagon for the Bison. Living in the Twin Cities, I get spoiled on hockey, North Stars, High School, Wild, Gophers etc. There will soon be new choices for the people of the Dakota's that are not hockey fans. And it won't take away from UND's hockey tradition either.

jloos,

I guess we disagree on the direction of NDSU. I think they will be fine and like the path they are taking. I like the looks of the new GWC, and the new wrestling conference. I don't really care whether NDSU and UND play in football. I actually like to watch teams like NSU. I am back on the season ticket wagon for the Bison. Living in the Twin Cities, I get spoiled on hockey, North Stars, High School, Wild, Gophers etc. There will soon be new choices for the people of the Dakota's that are not hockey fans. And it won't take away from UND's hockey tradition either.

I can agree with on that. Hopefully the NDSU fans can stick out the next few years. I never thought NDSU football would take away from UND hockey. Hopefully NDSU can match the success Montana has - they have some big crouds for a small town.

Yes, the NHL may strike. Old news.

However (stand by, nightmare scenario for Bison hockey hating types to follow), that strike may just cause the NHL teams to not sign all the players they probably would have signed this summer.

With the current threat of no collective bargaining agreement after June, and teams knowing they are going to push hard for a salary cap, they won't sign high priced free agents, and, assuming they are thinking rookie slots or a rookie salary cap, may not sign their draft choices until after a new CBA is in place.

No CBA would be the cause of a strike. The strike, some sources suggest, may last from fall of 2004 into early 2005.

So why should that matter to folks that dislike college hockey, especially UND Fighting Sioux college hockey?

That probably is a sign that UND would keep their high-powered line-up in tact.

That line-up includes a couple of Hobey Baker candidates, the son of an NHL head coach, and numerous NHL draft picks.

That line-up has gotten UND attention in newspapers in Boston, Minneapolis, and Denver, plus Sports Illustrated, the New York Times and others national publications that I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Plus, hockey fans needing a fix and not having the NHL just may be given a taste of more college hockey. Given that UND and the REA is already putting all home games up on digital satellite, who knows.

Optimistic scenario? Sure, but no more optimistic than the pessimistic nature in which this thread was started.

The thought of an NHL strike bothers me not in the least.

Yes, the NHL may strike. Old news.

However (stand by, nightmare scenario for Bison hockey hating types to follow), that strike may just cause the NHL teams to not sign all the players they probably would have signed this summer.

With the current threat of no collective bargaining agreement after June, and teams knowing they are going to push hard for a salary cap, they won't sign high priced free agents, and, assuming they are thinking rookie slots or a rookie salary cap, may not sign their draft choices until after a new CBA is in place.

No CBA would be the cause of a strike. The strike, some sources suggest, may last from fall of 2004 into early 2005.

So why should that matter to folks that dislike college hockey, especially UND Fighting Sioux college hockey?

That probably is a sign that UND would keep their high-powered line-up in tact.

That line-up includes a couple of Hobey Baker candidates, the son of an NHL head coach, and numerous NHL draft picks.

That line-up has gotten UND attention in newspapers in Boston, Minneapolis, and Denver, plus Sports Illustrated, the New York Times and others national publications that I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Plus, hockey fans needing a fix and not having the NHL just may be given a taste of more college hockey. Given that UND and the REA is already putting all home games up on digital satellite, who knows.

Optimistic scenario? Sure, but no more optimistic than the pessimistic nature in which this thread was started.

The thought of an NHL strike bothers me not in the least.

I agree completely with one thing to add on the less positive side:

Even with NHL on strike, it won't mean ESPN will be picking up college hockey. It just means periodic strike updates and more basketball coverage.

It looks like I'll have to save my money now for sure to get hockey on the television because this is the perfect excuse for ESPN to drop all of its limited hockey coverage.

NDSU is raising tuition a ridiculous amount in part to because they are losing most of the football revenue, with the new travel schedule they are likely going to lose money on the football team in the next few years.

It might be true that football will lose money, maybe.

The real reason for NDSU's tuition raise (which will still make it less than UND) is that we require more money to upgrade ourselves university wide. Not only are we upgrading our sports to D1 (a secondary objective) but our main goal is upgrading to Carnegie Doctoral/Research Extensive status. This is the big objective. But we need money to build new facilities and hire new staff. It's just the bottom line...if the students don't like it then they can transfer to VCSU or some other North Dakota university.

Even with NHL on strike, it won't mean ESPN will be picking up college hockey. It just means periodic strike updates and more basketball coverage.

Not necessarily, Bill Clement, Brain Engblom, Darren Pang, Barry Melrose, et al, still need to earn their way at ESPN. What better way than covering college hockey? Can you really see The Mullet King covering bouncyball? :D

:p ...At least in a perfect world.