SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (1-4) @ Idaho (2-4)

SWSiouxMN

A good win - sitting at my computer watching thinking the worst but we kept our poise down the stretch. Free throw shooting is much improved this year - helps to have a couple of very high percentage guys. You can see they are working on rebounding but it is still a huge weakness - still need continued aggressiveness in that area. For a drop-down 7 footer (which usually means no hands) Shanks shows some ability and will develop. Plenty of confident guys on this team - they just need to get it together and they could move up the standings. 

Nobody on this year's team is even close to Huff. Even on off-nights, Huff excelled at defense.

Huff excelled on offense but was not good on defense.  He gambled all the time for his steals and when he did not get a steal it was an easy 5 on 4 for the other team.  He did not know how to play straight up defense as he gave up almost as many points as he scored.  Just cause he stole the ball every once in a while and made a dunk does not make you a good defender.  Watch the players on this years team,  that's how you play in your face defense.

Very good win and it was nice to actually see the other team miss a ton of free throws to give us the win instead of the other way around.   The defensive pressure in the 2nd half was the best defense I have seen in yours out of UND and made the difference in this one.   Play like this Saturday and we have a chance against EWU.

Shanks at 10ppg is leading freshman Big Sky scorer in conference play

Nice.   I was skeptical when I first saw him play because he appeared very weak and was pushed around a lot but he is going to be a very good player in the years to come once he puts on some muscle and weight.  This team plays very hard, which is fun to watch the effort but are still lacking in some areas which will probably keep them around the 7-9 mark in the league.  Next year and the year after is when things can really begin to happen once again for UND. 

Not sure Shanks will add much weight.  He stopped growing as a high school soph.  and still has not filled out. Listed weigh is same as it was  at Utah St.    Shanks could slide over to the 4 as he has decent footwork and shooting touch for a 7FT guy.

No way he slides down to the 4 because he could not guard a typical 4 that may be 6'6 to 6'8 or smaller that can shoot from the outside and drive quick to the hoop.  I hoping he adds at least another 20lbs which should not be too hard with working hard with the trainer over the next couple of years.

No way he slides down to the 4 because he could not guard a typical 4 that may be 6'6 to 6'8 or smaller that can shoot from the outside and drive quick to the hoop.  I hoping he adds at least another 20lbs which should not be too hard with working hard with the trainer over the next couple of years.

Lets hope that Cashman can develop into a serviceable backup as well.  We cannot afford another situation like last year with Brekke and having NO viable replacement.

Actually his lack of strength and bulk becomes less of an issue the farther one gets from the hoop. Plenty of 4's are tall and lanky.  Joey King Big Ten 6'9" 225,Facey from U Conn 6'9 205, Lattin OKLA. 6'9 200.   Shanks listed at 7' 235 is the same as Kaminsky  The All American from Wisc.   Kaminsky has been training for years and he is listed at 7' 234lb..  Shanks length and mobility would allow him to play the 4/stretch 4,  in the Big Sky If necessary... He is the best 5 and 2nd best 4 on the team right now.