SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers #1 in the West? Sioux play MI in MI?

jloos

INCH NCAA

INCH is picking BC and MN to get the #1 seeds in the East/West. This is assuming Bemidji and Holy Cross are the bottom seeds (which is a pretty safe assumption). It is a possibility the Gophers will be there, but only if they win the Final Five. If these brackets were to come true (that is big IF I don't give INCH that much credit), we would most likely play MI in MI, a familar theme that often ends in bad results. :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

INCH NCAA

INCH is picking BC and MN to get the #1 seeds in the East/West. This is assuming Bemidji and Holy Cross are the bottom seeds (which is a pretty safe assumption). It is a possibility the Gophers will be there, but only if they win the Final Five. If these brackets were to come true (that is big IF I don't give INCH that much credit), we would most likely play MI in MI, a familiar theme that often ends in bad results. :D

I double-checked my calender, it's February 9. :)

I have maintained from back before Christmas that both the Sioux and the Gophers will be in Colorado Springs.

If Sioux and Gopher fans have not yet done so, buy your tickets to the West Regional now.

They are going fast.

The NCAA will find a way to seed us both there, as it does not want to see us both going to the Frozen Four.

By the way, the WCHA is easily strong enough to have three teams at the FF. Maybe four if a team gets seeded into each Regional.

INCH may have placed UND in Grand Rapids due to it being closer to Grand Forks than Colorado Springs. I don't think the NCAA will follow that rule to the letter due to it being a flying trip either way.

I didn't interpret those rankings to imply the Gophers got seeded higher than UND, because if they did Minneapolis is a lot closer to Grand Rapids. Even if the Gophers beat UND at the X and finish with a higher RPI than UND, UND would STILL likely win the comparison between the teams.

I think whoever gets the #1 West seed will have the inside track to the Frozen Four.

I have maintained from back before Christmas that both the Sioux and the Gophers will be in Colorado Springs.

As much fun as it would be, I don't see it happening unless neither DU or CC qualifies for the tourney. I don't think the NCAA will place three WCHA teams in Colorado Springs.

I certainly could be wrong, DU could be shipped east and the Gophers and Sioux could go 1-2 in the West.

hey, it is about time SOMEONE else play in Ann Horro-bor! :silly:

WPoS

Bah. The Gophers could beat any CCHA team right now. Remember, the CCHA is a mediocre conference centered around only one good team: Michigan. The rest wouldn't even make the lower half of the WCHA. Yeah, Miami (OH) is good this year and UNO has been decent in years past, but every team is streaky.

Bah. The Gophers could beat any CCHA team right now. Remember, the CCHA is a mediocre conference centered around only one good team: Michigan. The rest wouldn't even make the lower half of the WCHA. Yeah, Miami (OH) is good this year and UNO has been decent in years past, but every team is streaky.

true, the only thing better than beating UND this year would be to beat Michigan AGAIN this year (if they played there this year).

WPoS

true, the only thing better than beating UND this year would be to beat Michigan AGAIN this year (if they played there this year).

WPoS

Don't know if you will get the chance. We always seem to play our best versus Minnesota. We may not sweep, but we won't have to for the remainder of the season. Once more in the Final Five (surely the WCHA CHampionship game) and another in the Regionals, if not the Frozen Four.

IF they manage to climb over UMD, or are you saying UMD would be the #1 seed at Ann Arbor?? :silly:

I think unless the Gophers win two games against UMD between now and the end of the Final Five, UMD will finish ahead of the Gophers in the PWR.

They will also likely finish ahead of Michigan, earning the #1 in GR.

Of course UMD could be tricking it, and lose six of eight. But I think they have a better chance of winning six of eight than losing six of eight.

The NCAA would be much smarter to send UND to Colorado, than UND to Michigan. Way more fans in Colorado. Aren't most of these regionals close to sold out anyways? They should seed based on who's best, not who they want in the tourney. The FF is sold out. Who cares if no East team is in it. Oh wait...ESPN controls the NCAA and that explains it all.

Can we please get the midwest regional out of Michigan. It's sickening that it's held there every year.

Can we please get the midwest regional out of Michigan. It's sickening that it's held there every year.

Some have said that you have to bid for it to get it out of Michigan. Apparently the Michigan Schools have a lot of clout to keep it in Michigan. I am hoping that eventually UND will get it a lot more with the new arena.

Some have said that you have to bid for it to get it out of Michigan. Apparently the Michigan Schools have a lot of clout to keep it in Michigan. I am hoping that eventually UND will get it a lot more with the new arena.

I still wish that rumor was true about Engelstad buying the Frozen Four so it could come back to GF.

Was it last year's regional that Minnesota made a really high bid to get the game, or did the REA mess up on that one? Or was it for this year?

Looking back at the NCAA's it's so strange how often a WCHA team gets sent East, but you rarely see an East team come West/Midwest. I think New Hampshire should be sent west and Miami East.

Inch has to be almost thinking that Minnesota will get the comparison on UND, because Minn would get Bemidji St. while UND would have Ohio St. who could be the toughest 4 seed unless Brown's goalie plays out of his mind. Not to mention that UND would be at Michigan (practically home) and Denver doesn't have the biggest fan following.

I realize this is all speculation, but it is fun to see what could happen.

Next year's west regional will be at the ralph, or maybe someone said that already.

Someone in the WCHA will eventually beat Mich in Mich. This year's regional is not at Yost. It's very likely WCHA teams will be 1 seeds in both western regions.

Next year's west regional will be at the ralph, or maybe someone said that already.

Someone in the WCHA will eventually beat Mich in Mich. This year's regional is not at Yost. It's very likely WCHA teams will be 1 seeds in both western regions.

From NCAA website:

Western Michigan University was selected to host the 2005 Midwest regional at Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids, Michigan, March 25-26 and Mariucci Arena on the campus of the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, March 26-27, 2005 will be the West region host.

REA host West Regional in 2006, and Midwest region bid was awarded to Michigan Technological University and the Resch Center in Green Bay, Wisconsin, March 25-26, 2006.

The 2007 West regional bid was awarded to the University of Denver and the Pepsi Center March 24-25, in Denver, while Western Michigan's Van Andel Arena was selected as the site for the Midwest region, March 23-24.

I believe GF will never host a frozen four because the NCAA requires the rink hold at least X number of fans (15,000 I think), which means only NHL rinks (or some AHL) will be able to host the frozen four. Gotta love the NC$$

Grand Forks hosting the Frozen Four? That's like Boise hosting the Super Bowl. People want to have fun when they go to these events...nightlife, shopping, nice weather, etc. A direct flight would be nice too.

Grand Forks hosting the Frozen Four? That's like Boise hosting the Super Bowl. People want to have fun when they go to these events...nightlife, shopping, nice weather, etc. A direct flight would be nice too.

Here's one:

Let's have the Midwest Regionals every year at The John, and every Frozen Four at the Excel. Gee Minneapolis is the greatest city in the WORLD!!!! :silly:

Is that enough home ice advantage for the Goofers?