SiouxSports.com Forum

Goalie Meltdown

sprig

I'd have to agree that the caoching staff needs to take some of the blame too. I watched it on FSSN and it looked like the Sioux had their line changes staggered. I don't remember seeing Brandon until the second round of line changes, and then he was out with Hale and Lundbohm. The next time he was out with Parise and Stafford. Later in that shift he was with Porter and Genoway. It looked like they would start making plays and then 1 or 2 would change. I don't know how they ever got going but I think that that's what hurt them.

Deano was harsh on Brandt. I think the coaching staff needs to take a big chunk of blame too, not just players ...

* Wisconsin scores the tying goal at 18:59, with UND's 4th line out there ... Massen, Hale, Genoway. Why are they on the ice in that crucial situation? If lines 1-2-3 are tired,

I agree completely. No question DB is one of the top coaches in the country, but with his willingness throughout games to change the makeup of lines, I have to question in a situation like last night why he was unwilling to shorten the bench in the last half of the third period.

Apparently a lot of people have missed, the pretty nice (shot) setup Bochenski had that allowed Porter to score.

I didn't miss it, but he didn't seem to be very visible in the second and third periods when you'd think that he'd be more of a factor. And I don't mean to single Bochenski out, but I kept waiting for someone -- anyone -- to step up and make a play that would put the Badgers away or re-energize the Sioux. Nobody did.

Hindsight is so much greater than foresight! Sure, coaches can make mistakes, and all of the players do too. Whether Blais should have made personnel changes is more than likely a question he was asking himself after the game. He'll get the guys to rally, if nothing else because they are mad at him. There have been comments about whom to lay the blame on. Hey, move on. The Sioux lost, to a pretty good team on the road. Jake made some good plays, but couldn't bail out his teammates when they screwed up a couple of times.

One statement I have to disagree with is that it is "bad news" that the Sioux have to play another game at the Kohl Center tonight. If any of you have ever been in athletic competition, you should know that this is the best thing that could happen (getting a rematch the very next evening). It would be much worse if this would have happened on the Saturday night game, with no immediate chance for redemption. If the Sioux don't come out flying, hitting, scoring, and playing their "A" game tonight, then maybe the team doesn't deserve to be ranked #1 anymore for now.

I'd put my money on the Sioux, and coach Blais (and his staff) will take care of business in his own way. His record is pretty good and I would side with his decisions much faster than any from fans any day. Remember, this was not a playoff game. The way players have performed under pressure situations will determine how their roles for the team are affected down the stretch.

I agree that playing another game tonight will really test what the team is made of. I would rather have the loss now, when the team can learn that they are not invincible without losing a big playoff game.

;) The public comments Blais made, that seemed to place all of the blame on Brandt, are totally unacceptable. Sure, Jake comes out of the net more often than most of us would like, but JPar comes out a lot more than Jake.

The only way to give Jake some confidence back now is to apologize and start him tonight. I guarantee that no one was more upset by Jake's performance last night than himself and if he is given another shot he'll prove that he is the better goalie, but we all know Blais wouldn't do a thing like that, he'll play his new favorite, JPar.

On a side note:

Who acts as the goaltending coach for the Sioux?

Too bad Jake had to be the whipping boy for Dean's frustrations. What about the lackadaisical, boneheaded plays by some of the defensemen & forwards? Like someone asked earlier, what the bejeesus is up with Massen? A talented, NHL-drafted power forward who gives all indications of farting away his talent & not giving 100% while with the Sioux. If he's a liability out there on the ice & just going through the motions, why the hell play him at all? The same holds true of other players: if they don't have it in their hearts to give it nothing but their best efforts night in & night out, either bench them or jerk their scholarships. Having dead weight, weak links & uninspired guys on the team does nothing for morale (negative attitudes are contagious) & will hurt us in the long run. I talk about Massen because he's been in the longest funk of them all--something's up with the guy & it would be nice if we could resolve whatever issue it is--for his sake because he has a lot of potential & for the sake of the team.

Too bad Jake had to be the whipping boy for Dean's frustrations. What about the lackadaisical, boneheaded plays by some of the defensemen & forwards? Like someone asked earlier, what the bejeesus is up with Massen? A talented, NHL-drafted power forward who gives all indications of farting away his talent & not giving 100% while with the Sioux. If he's a liability out there on the ice & just going through the motions, why the hell play him at all? The same holds true of other players: if they don't have it in their hearts to give it nothing but their best efforts night in & night out, either bench them or jerk their scholarships. Having dead weight, weak links & uninspired guys on the team does nothing for morale (negative attitudes are contagious) & will hurt us in the long run. I talk about Massen because he's been in the longest funk of them all--something's up with the guy & it would be nice if we could resolve whatever issue it is--for his sake because he has a lot of potential & for the sake of the team.

You are an idiot!!!!!!!! Do you know James Massen??? I doubt it...other wise you would not be saying all this trash. There is no one who feels worse than he does right now. It is hard to get into any kind of rythm when you only play a game here and there. When you are on the ice you push so very hard to not make a mistake.

I have played with and against James for many years and he is hurtin' right now and is trying everything in his power to turn this around. These players are givin' it their all and for you, a weak fan a best, to cut them down now is unaccecptable. If there is any dead weight around here it is you buddy.

You are an idiot!!!!!!!! Do you know James Massen??? I doubt it...other wise you would not be saying all this trash. There is no one who feels worse than he does right now. It is hard to get into any kind of rythm when you only play a game here and there. When you are on the ice you push so very hard to not make a mistake.

I have played with and against James for many years and he is hurtin' right now and is trying everything in his power to turn this around. These players are givin' it their all and for you, a weak fan a best, to cut them down now is unaccecptable. If there is any dead weight around here it is you buddy.

Thank you for that.

I think we all need to heed this same advice. Look at the positives on the weekend/season. Be thankful you have a powerhouse team to watch and cheer on every year. Get behind them, cheer when they win, but don't criticize them when things don't go YOUR way. Instead, yell louder next weekend, pick them up.

I for one am sick of all the negativity that I see/hear. Yeah, I'm frustrated/disappointed, but I'm not going to cut down the team that I'd watch play any time against any team win/lose/or draw. Just to see them play is a treat.

I'm going to continue reading the boards because I love college hockey, but it just sucks hearing the sob stories and finger pointing thats going on.

No need to take personal shots at eachother. This is not USCHO.

Fans of UND hockey have standards. They will complain when a talented team like this one underperforms.

Friends of the players will get defensive. It's natural.

Let's try not to make it too personal. I'll bet the team is having some growing pains right this second, too.

Everyone has up and down years. Look at Schneider. I went on and on before the season began about how Schneider was getting short changed by the national polls and such because they placed some dman out east with less than 20 points out before Schneider who had 40 or 41 points last season. Now he has (I think) 2 goals and I don't know how many assists, but it's way down. He doesn't look that conformtable on the ice and has made more mistakes this year than I have ever seen him make. Do I want his head? No. Do I think he is a poor captain? No. People have up and down years.

Is Massen NHL quality? Uh, we can't make that decision and neither can Blais. New Jersey has to make that decision. But I think it is really really tough for a guy to break out of a funk when the guy right behind you in the order can just as easily step up and question your right for ice time. We are really deep this year and, unlike last year, there just isn't time to give Massen the benefit of just throwing him onto the ice to work out his funk.

Ryan Hale is in a funk too, you know. I've been harder on Hale than I've been on Massen in the past, at one time even questioning his Captaincy due to his one ice performance. It matters little. He needs to hang around Parise more. Keep on working and ignore everyone else. It's character time for Massen. Is he going to turn turtle and give up? Or is he going to make Blais sweat pondering whether or not it was right to sit him out from now on? Right now, it's up to him.

We'll see what happens. Take my word for what it's worth, folks. From what I've been reading lately, it ain't worth anything, but I said it anyhow.

Nobody makes these kids commit to UND. They do it because this is where they want (or ultimately decide) to play. But part of playing hockey for the Sioux is playing to higher expectations than at other schools. When the players don't play to that level, they should not escape criticism - simple as that. If a player can't handle playing under that type of scrutiny, they should consider transferring to a school like Quinnipiac, which is a school that has no shot of winning a national championship.

Nobody makes these kids commit to UND. They do it because this is where they want (or ultimately decide) to play. But part of playing hockey for the Sioux is playing to higher expectations than at other schools. When the players don't play to that level, they should not escape criticism - simple as that. If a player can't handle playing under that type of scrutiny, they should consider transferring to a school like Quinnipiac, which is a school that has no shot of winning a national championship.

Watch it, I may have family at Quinnipiac in a few years. The Loos' will make them a hockey dynasty. Suter's/Granato's=Wisconsin, Broten's=Gophers, Loos'= Quinnipiac? :D

Hey it could happen

True. A thread on this board is critiquing the parallels of this year's team to last year, but it's not kosher to single out certain players who aren't pulling their fair share? How does one critique a team without evaluating the performances of each of its players? (coaching competency, team conditioning, systemic reasons etc. aside). Siembida was blasted while he was a Sioux & no one should be immune if they exhibit prolonged subpar performances. If Massen had a bad weekend-fine; a bad month...hmmm; a bad season...what the..??; a bad year-time to ask what the hell is up with him...I want him to succeed just as badly as anyone here.

Not to criticize anyone cuz, well, our fighting men and women have made sure we all have a right to express ourselves as we see fit, and with 29 posts I'm pretty much a nobody on this forum, but do you suppose the fellas from places like POI are perusing these threads and having a swell time reading all of the panic and infighting? I know I would love to see this stuff on fan forums of say BC, Michigan, Minnesota, etc., etc. :D

Remember the guy named Hukalo and keep the faith. February isn't March/April and next weekend is another series. Hopefully we all will be the ones reading about the other teams' bitter disapointments when their seasons end at the hands of the Sioux.

Not to criticize anyone cuz, well, our fighting men and women have made sure we all have a right to express ourselves as we see fit, and with 29 posts I'm pretty much a nobody on this forum, but do you suppose the fellas from places like POI are perusing these threads and having a swell time reading all of the panic and infighting? I know I would love to see this stuff on fan forums of say BC, Michigan, Minnesota, etc., etc. :D

Remember the guy named Hukalo and keep the faith. February isn't March/April and next weekend is another series. Hopefully we all will be the ones reading about the other teams' bitter disapointments when their seasons end at the hands of the Sioux.

They already are trolling this board. They are even posting.

Sometimes I hate sports because of those trollers. Not saying everyone at POI are trollers, just those who come onto a Sioux board to gloat on a series that was largely unreleated.

I'd feel just as bad hearing about us doing likewise....

Watch it, I may have family at Quinnipiac in a few years. The Loos' will make them a hockey dynasty. Suter's/Granato's=Wisconsin, Broten's=Gophers, Loos'= Quinnipiac? :D

Hey it could happen

My bad. I hope he turns Quinnipiac into some sort of Atlantic Hockey dynasty, wins the hobey and plays in the NHL. But even if he plays there, I still hope UND wins the national championship year after year after year . . . . . :)