SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU 2004 Football Schedule

BostonSiouxFan

The Fargo Forum is reporting that SDSU has nine games already scheduled for next year (with plans for 11 total), and that five are at home. This makes me wonder why NDSU, which has a much better football program, can't find games. Evidently Gene Taylor dropped the ball and hasn't been too active in his search for 2004 opponents.

The Fargo Forum is reporting that SDSU has nine games already scheduled for next year (with plans for 11 total), and that five are at home. This makes me wonder why NDSU, which has a much better football program, can't find games. Evidently Gene Taylor dropped the ball and hasn't been too active in his search for 2004 opponents.

I'll take a crack at it. If a IAA team schedules a game with NDSU, it will probably be a good game with NDSU having a decent shot at winning the game. Meanwhile, SDSU hasn't had a sniff of the playoffs since Carter was in office, '79 I think, and that is their only appearance, they are year-in, year-out, pretty much the armpit of the football conference. There is no risk in scheduling them for Georgia Southern and Montana St, it will be a pretty easy win. The SDSU dreamers will tell you otherwise, but their overall record the last 20-30 years tells the story. I don't think it is Taylor's fault, there is a much bigger risk there for IAA teams and especially contenders.

This is what i think NDSU's schedule might look like:

Away:

Montana State

West IL

SDSU

UNC

Saint Mary's (CA)

Cal Davis

Home:

Cal Poly

Mankato State

Saint Cloud State

Augustana

NSIC whipping boy (< pick any team from the NSIC, it'll be a nice home victory)

- or -

UND (< ?? is there even a chance in hell that this game could sneak on there??)

TNT,

If you did a little research, NDSU will be considered I-AA in playing DII teams but a DII in playing I-AAs for just 2004. Plus, I will agree that NDSU beating Montana last year has some of the tougher I-AA teams a little scared in playing the Bison. Since NDSU would still count as a DII team to this schools, a loss would hurt their chances at a I-AA playoff spot. In 2005, NDSU will be considered I-AA for all competition they play and scheduling home games will be much easier even if NDSU remains as an independent.

Also, a little research shows that two schools that moved up last year had similar tough scheduling problems. Both UC-Davis and Northern Colorado had no home I-AA competition games at home. They had all DII teams as home games.

The fact that NDSU has a I-AA game at home is an accomplishment that these two schools could not do. NDSU has Cal-Poly in Fargo.

I do think the remainder of the NDSU schedule may include one more road game to either Western Illinois or Montana State and the rest against DII teams. As Bison fans, we have to take our lumps this upcoming season, with the rewards coming the following year. In 2005, NDSU will for sure have home games against N. Colorado, UC-Davis, St. Mary's of California, and S. Dakota State.

No, tnt, we left because we're upgrading the image of our university.

You need to upgrade something since UND is kicking you ass PR-wise. hmmm..their own CABLE channel (available STATEWIDE and in FARGO on ch. 7 - the Fighting SIOUX Sports Network) Producing 30+ games televised a year VS. the paltry 3 to 5 games televised by the MIDWEST SPORTS LEADER - WDAY - who btw made the Sioux Bison FB game this year look like cotton candy at the fair - (so many colors, so little white balancing). UND sports available (with varying quality right now, but we're on the cutting edge of the technology) on the internet...a 130 MILLION DOLLAR NEW Sports complex since 2001 VS. the Benson Bunker Fieldhouse and begging for the state for $$$ for a renovation for our DIVSION I UNIVERSITY to the BSA...no wonder you guys ditched to DI-AA!! The last refuge of scoundrels (and losers who realize they're losing!) is to jump to a "higher" division and claim they're better for it. GOOD LUCK! PS - SDSU is already ahead of you on scheduling for next year....WOW...you guys are really a bunch of LOSERS!! - but then again, IMAGE is everything:-)

NDSU beating Montana last year has some of the tougher I-AA teams a little scared in playing the Bison...

oh man!! GET OFF IT!! You lucked out by lulling a AA school to sleep or PROVED the gulf between DII and DI-AA isn't nearly as BIG as you guys think it is! REMEMBER - You didn't exactly ROLL through the NCC in your final year....what does that say about your win over Montana?;)

Saturday's Forum listed NDSU as having two confirmed home dates for football in 2004:

California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo

Northwestern (Louisiana) State University (Natchitoches, Louisiana)

At least they'll be able to bump up the price of season tickets now. :silly: