SiouxSports.com Forum

What a difference ...

The Sicatoka

Things I heard, said, and believed up until 2 weeks ago:

Our D-line is too small to get enough pressure for the 3 - 4 to work.

We will be hard pressed to win another game all year.

There isn't enough talent on this team to win at the FCS level.  We have players who wouldn't have played at the D2 level for UND 10 years ago.

We won't be competitive for 2-3 years.

There is still a lot of work to be done, but I feel good about the direction this team is heading in.  I gotta believe recruiting just got a whole lot easier for Bubba and crew.

Speaking of which, I wonder if there were any potential recruits in attendance Saturday.  If so, they got a nice eyeful.

As I left the Alerus on Saturday, I was frustrated and heart broken over that game. We were so close. Right there. And if not for a couple of things that went wrong, we'd be looking at a W. But that's when it hit me. It was almost a good feeling. A feeling I haven't had for Sioux football for so long. I've gotten so used to the thrashings we've taken in recent years that losing a heartbreaker of a game is a sign that we are no longer the welcome mat. It was like when Omaha beat us in OT on a 50+ yard FG. Or when we just couldn't solve Grand Valley St. We expected to win, which is what made it so hard, and that sense of pride is slowly coming back.

Good things are in store.

Totally agree...that was like punch in the gut on Saturday, but I've missed that feeling of a devastating loss.....because that means you are having meaningful games.   That feeling is better than the crappy feeling of getting smoked by 30-40 points........again and again.  We should have had that feeling of a big win on Saturday, but it's nice to know we can now realistically know we will actually feel that good winning feeling again more often than not going forward.   The players may have legitimately felt going into the MSU and the Montana game that they were playing with a serious shot to win, I don't know if most of us truly felt that way......until now.  Now I think both players and fans will go into those types of games......expecting to win, and that is a great feeling!   Lets keep it going this weekend!

Guys,

Hope all is well with everyone and their families.

I kinda told you guys we are not as bad as we looked. We are going to be a very improved team and a contender next year.

the mistakes that would've changed the game. I'm not saying if this happens, we win. But in football, everything goes.

The bad snaps CAN NOT happen in game 6, especially 2.

The refs were HORRIFIC at best.

Hinojosa nearly getting the safety.

The hold on the FG.

Everything else can and will be corrected.

Guys I'm excited

GO SIOUXXXX

• Upvote 1

Hinojosa nearly getting the safety.

Funny story regarding that.  Little birdie told me UND called a strong safety blitz off the offense's right side (play side) on that play.  Reyes or Blackmon didn't blitz due to confusion.  Whoever was supposed to blitz off the edge would have come in and met the handoff untouched 5 yards deep in the end zone for the easy safety.  Hinojosa shot the A gap so fast that the fullback turned to try and get him instead of be a lead blocker.  

This team is getting there.  Little things are slowly being shored up.

Funny story regarding that. Little birdie told me UND called a strong safety blitz off the offense's right side (play side) on that play. Reyes or Blackmon didn't blitz due to confusion. Whoever was supposed to blitz off the edge would have come in and met the handoff untouched 5 yards deep in the end zone for the easy safety. Hinojosa shot the A gap so fast that the fullback turned to try and get him instead of be a lead blocker.

This team is getting there. Little things are slowly being shored up.

I'm still not sure how Hinojosa didn't get that safety himself. I was on that catwalk and he was back there so damn fast they didn't know how to block him. That would have won the game no doubt.