SiouxSports.com Forum

FB Press Conference Tuesday 2/10

SiouxMeNow

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously this is a very good football schedule, although there were no real surprises since these are all opponents that have been mentioned on this board. The question I have is this: since the game with Kutztown apparently fell through, wouldn't it be better to add one cupcake opponent--other than UMC--and have an 11-game schedule instead of a 10-game schedule? I never like the idea of playing one fewer game than most other schools because it just means there's that much less margin for error.

With all NCC hoops at the Ralph, what exactly is the point of the Betty? This also makes it look like another road heavy late schedule for the hockey team and with all those basketball games I would expect poor ice conditions. I wish I understood the thought processes going into these new facilities.

I wish I understood the thought processes going into these new facilities.

Let me take a shot at that:

When hockey is home that weekend, basketball will be on the road (obviously) and the BB teams will practice in The Betty that week then travel.

When basketball is home and in The Ralph, clearly hockey will be on the road and will practice that week in the REA-Olympic rink. (And considering most of the rest of the league has Olympic ice, doesn't that make sense?)

Consider the Olympic rink and The Betty as practice facilities and The Ralph as the home. It'll make sense then.

People are yet to mention that WBB exhibition opener ....

Wow!! I didn't even notice that. Minnesota vs UND will be a game with 2 young teams on the floor. The women also have Seattle Pacific at home, they are undefeated as of the last poll and ranked I think 4th in the country.

With all NCC hoops at the Ralph, what exactly is the point of the Betty? This also makes it look like another road heavy late schedule for the hockey team and with all those basketball games I would expect poor ice conditions. I wish I understood the thought processes going into these new facilities.

I agree with you. I don't understand this at all. I believe that if since the Betty will be built, why don't they just schedule most of the games in there. There will not be many games that overfilling the Betty will be an issue anyways. I also heard Bruce McLeod, commissioner of the WCHA, talking about how it was getting very tough to schedule games because of teams like UND that were using their facility as a multi-purpose one. He added that long-stretches of home games and away games were going to be something that teams would see because of this.

I don't understand this at all.

Let me take a swing at this too. :silly:

Money.

To pay for college athletics you have to have money, you have to generate revenues.

REA creates more revenue for UND Athletics than any other possible venue. The suites, Club Rooms, broadcast facilities, the Pro Shop, various concessions and "beverage" sales: you have to create traffic in there to fund the athletic programs.

A multipurpose facility is working just fine at Kohl Center (Wisconsin) and "The Schott" (at Ohio State).

Alternatively, remember, they did put TV and radio broadcast capabilities into The Betty too. I'm sure they're looking for the right mix.

Obviously this is a very good football schedule, although there were no real surprises since these are all opponents that have been mentioned on this board. The question I have is this: since the game with Kutztown apparently fell through, wouldn't it be better to add one cupcake opponent--other than UMC--and have an 11-game schedule instead of a 10-game schedule? I never like the idea of playing one fewer game than most other schools because it just means there's that much less margin for error.

The thing you have to remember is that next year there will only be 11 weeks to the regular season because of the expanded playoff field. I think 10 games is fine because you have a week off to take care of the minor injuries and work on things in practice going into two road NCC games. Although it would be nice from a fan and revenue standpoint to play one more game, I don't think playing a cupcake in week 4 does the team any good.

Apparently UMC isn't getting tired of the beatings from NCC schools. I heard the other day that they're playing St. Cloud, Augustana and UNO this year.

Sicakota - you are absolutely right. It is a money issue! Games at the Ralph will likely generate 2-3 times more revenue than if they were played at the Betty. You have to generate $ to bring in that many quality opponents. UND will pay $150,000 more in guarantees for BB and FB next year than they did this year. That is offset to some degree by reduced travel costs. There are no home-and-home arrangements with any of the new BB teams on the schedule (not sure about FB).

That being said, the Ralph certainly doesn't have the same atmosphere as Hyslop. I live out of state but was in GF over the weekend for the games. The Bison fans won't agree with this, but I guarantee the UND women's team would have won that game had it been played at Hyslop. It would have been so loud in there that you wouldn't have been able to hear the whistle.

I guess that is the price you pay for having to generate so much $ these days to compete. We will likely have more of a home court advantage in the Betty than in the Ralph.