SiouxSports.com Forum

Who will be the leaders on thisteam?

Nodak78

This program really needs a season that will bring some measure of respect both in the conference and in the community. Too many years now of being lumped in with the irrelevant programs in the conference. Being 1-6 at that point would look really bad, even if the coaches feel there is improvement.

Given what the University of North Dakota represents, there's no reason UND shouldn't be at the top of the Big Sky Conference every year - facilities, coaching, regional (MN, Wi, IL) recruiting, relative budget, etc. should all do that.

Although this year may be a 5-7 or 6-6 year due to some rebuilding, I expect Bubba to have this thing roaring by 2015. Just no reason we shouldn't be in the same category as the Montanas and EWU every single season.

All depends on how the team comes together. So many new faces and unknowns. If everything comes together we could surprise some people. If not, 1-6 is entirely possible.

For this team to reach .500 or better we will need few injuries and they will need to jell. I am so impressed with the coaching staff. The staff is well disciplined, so I would expect some real leaders to step up.

I read on one of the Montana board's a post having us a 1-6 after seven weeks. We shall see.

While this may be accurate based on past performance (under Mussman), hopefully, predictions based on past performance will reflect greater potential next year (after a season under Schweigert).

I see 5 or 6 wins on the schedule. Obviously no game is a lock but I still see 5-6 solid chances at a win. The beauty of football is that we could win a lot more if things go our way or we could tank like last year.

Good points. Recently I re-watched the game against SDSU and I was astounded by the large amount of dumb mistakes that we made. If we eliminate just a couple that game could have been easily won. As I watched it I was laughing at the notion that some trolls said that SDSU gave up...more like we gave it too them.

Good points. Recently I re-watched the game against SDSU and I was astounded by the large amount of dumb mistakes that we made. If we eliminate just a couple that game could have been easily won. As I watched it I was laughing at the notion that some trolls said that SDSU gave up...more like we gave it too them.

I agree. Much closer than the score. Bubba's discipline will keep most games close and winnable.

I agree. Much closer than the score. Bubba's discipline will keep most games close and winnable.

Just the philosophy he's installing will improve the team, and of course that includes discipline. For whatever reason, Mussman's teams were sloppy when it came to the little things.

Running the ball, minimizing mistakes, and being assignment sharp on defense will go a long way towards improvement.

The most frustrating thing about the Mussman era was to see the lack of discipline and fundamentals get worse every year. First with the DBs, then with the LBs, then the OL, and then the whole team. Listening to opposing announcer teams, they used to marvel at the disciple of Lennon's teams, and that seemed to erode when as fewer and fewer members of those teams were around. It was painful to watch, like seeing water dripping from a roof leak which would later turn into a torrent.

The most frustrating thing about the Mussman era was to see the lack of discipline and fundamentals get worse every year. First with the DBs, then with the LBs, then the OL, and then the whole team. Listening to opposing announcer teams, they used to marvel at the disciple of Lennon's teams, and that seemed to erode when as fewer and fewer members of those teams were around. It was painful to watch, like seeing water dripping from a roof leak which would later turn into a torrent.

Frank Serratore of Air Force hockey tried to bypass the fundamentals portion of the early stages two years ago. The team struggled out of the gate til he refocused on the basics. The team never recovered.

I saw the same issues with Mussmans teams.

Although it is early, I figured preseason would be the best time to take an optimistic (perhaps overly optimistic) look at the changeover from the 2013 roster to the 2014 roster. All in all, I think the transfers, returning starters, and those who gained valuable playing time last year are the ones who will contribute the most. For starters, however, I think it’s best to just look at the transfers as they are the most likely to surprise.

On offense:

RB Cedric Simmons (So. 6-1, 215)

WR Miguel Cerriteno (Jr. 6-2, 195)

OT Brendan Slaight (Jr. 6-7, 315)

OG/OC Colton Boas (Jr. 6-1, 300)

When I look at the four offensive transfers, and I consider the change in offensive philosophy as well as the increased experience of QBs Mollberg and Bartels, I believe our offense has a chance to be successful.

I envision a nice balanced attack based on the running game of Simmons (and perhaps Patrick Sharp or Adam Shaugabay) behind a potentially good run blocking line. The line will include incumbent starter OG Brandon Anderson but also impressive JUCOS OT Slaight and OG/OC Boas. Throw in former Wisconsin OL Luke Knauf coaching them up, and there is potential for a much improved running game. That will help the offensive efficiency by assisting the QBs/play-action and resting the defense with improved time of possession.

Let’s hope it works out that way!

On defense:

DE Jordan Hinojosa (So. 6-3 275)

ILB Dylan Bakker (Jr. 6-2, 225)

CB Dominique Blackmon (Jr. 6-0, 190)

CB Charles Flowers (So. 5-11, 180)

CB Alex Tillman (Sr. 5-10, 190)

S Chris Hannible (Jr. 6-0, 195)

The defensive transfers, in my opinion, are no slouches. And of course, the coaching staff must also think that or else they wouldn’t have brought them in. Starting up front, I see a very capable defensive lineman in Hinojosa, who definitely possesses FBS ability; he should help the run defense. At LB, Dylan Bakker will likely provide key depth at ILB, but he could eventually sneak into a starter role as well.

The most turnover, and ultimately improvement, occurs in the secondary. Last year there wasn’t a CB who played over 180 lbs. and that severely hurt the physicality of UND’s defense. With Blackmon, Flowers, and Tillman (and possibly freshman Chris Carter), UND should have much improved cover skills and run support in the secondary. Also, Hannbile was specifically mentioned by Bubba Schweigert on signing day as someone he thought could contribute big-time this season. Overall, I see a much improved secondary that should allow for more sacks and more interceptions. With more sacks and turnovers, the defense will only be improved.

Once again, we can only hope it works out this way.

Now, with all this definitely comes a grain of salt (or many grains for that matter). I still only expect the 2014 UND football team to go 5-7 or 6-6 in 2014, but that would still be much improved over 2013’s 3-8. Also, if this year’s team goes near 0.500, there is a very good chance they would continue improving and 2015 would be a winning season. After all, this team is filled with underclassmen; therefore, if they successfully contribute this year, the team should only continue to improve under Bubba’s tutelage.

• Upvote 1