SiouxSports.com Forum

The War Comes Home

PCM

The other person killed, Keith Smette was one of my friends and was my best friend's older brother. I am extremely proud of him and everything he has done, he was a great guy and died doing something he loved.

I am very sorry to hear that, Mory00. There are friends and family throughout North Dakota who are grieving today for these two fine soldiers.

Straight tickets to Heaven for these guys. We talk of hockey games sometimes being wars. It is times like these that make our sporting metaphors look particularly silly and selfish.

It ain't until we begin loosing our families and our friends that we begin to realize our own mortality.

Hopefully Ken and Keith are big hockey fans. They'll be guests in Ralph's booth from here on in.

This has been a very upsetting event that affects everyone across the state. Although I did not know these 2 fine individuals, I am nonetheless saddened at the loss of their lives. I wrote a little bit on the Bisonville site about my feelings, and wish to repeat it here for all who knew these men and any others who have fallen in the line of fire or, like myself, know people who are stationed over in Iraq. I have the greatest respect for the people in the American armed services, and in my opinion they all are heroes for what they sacrifice for our way of life.

God bless those guys and their families. Being a soldier is never a job that brings prosperity, glamour, and security, but instead is a service of a higher stature. Their sacrificies were for our freedom and security to be maintained, and regardless of one's view upon the war in Iraq these two are heroes and saviors of the sword. They are now in a higher place where war, suffering, and violence will no longer affect them, and in this I take comfort while remembering their loss.

God bless Keith Smette and Kenneth Hendrickson, and those who they left behind.

My brother is in the 957th and is friends with the people who died. On Saturday all the guard families were called to notify them of this terrible event. My dad called me crying after he heard, and for a second there I thought i had lost a brother. Shortly after that it really hit me hard to think of the 2 families that were not so lucky to hear that their particular loved one was okay. God bless them.

Keith's funeral will be held next Tuesday in Makoti. There will be a service at North Shore HS. A friend and I are heading out to Makoti today to be with Keith's younger brother robby, who was also serving in iraq. Keith was such a great guy and this week has brought back so many memories. God bless you keith, we will always love you.

I came across this

Memorial service planned

for NDSU student killed in Iraq

A memorial service for North Dakota State University student Sgt.

Keith Lee Smette is scheduled for 2 p.m. Monday, Feb. 9, in the

Memorial Union ballroom. Smette was one of two Army National Guard

soldiers killed Jan. 24 when their convoy struck a roadside bomb north

of Fallujah, Iraq.

The Rev. Bruce Krogstad of the University Lutheran Center will

officiate the memorial service, and members of Smette

The Bismarck Tribune ran an article about Ken Hendrickson's funeral on Monday. Gov. John Hoeven delivered the eulogy. Unfortunately, the Tribune article failed to mention that Ken was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star and the Legion of Merit, the highest decoration given for service in the North Dakota National Guard.

Keith's funeral was perfect today. Some amazing songs, Hoeven gave the Eulogy and it was just awesome to see people who never knew Keith coming and showing their support.

Keith was a huge Toby Keith fan, and for the final song they played American Soldier. Nearly every person in the gym started crying, i can't describe it any better than saying it was exaclty what Keith deserved.