SiouxSports.com Forum

If NDSU added hockey...

Cratter

86 members have voted

1. 1. If NDSU added hockey...

• Yes
    • No

I don't think that there would ever be the intense support of hockey at NDSU like there is at UND. NDSU is geared pretty much towards football. It is even tough to get real excited over Basketball....although I am trying this year...

I understand where you coming from, but I'm not sure that I necessarily agree. I believe that there is fan support, just not support from the City, the Park Board and NDSU. You have to remember that 1/3 of the season ticket holders at Sioux hockey are from this area. Youth hockey is Fargo has great numbers, just a woefully inadequate number and quality of facilities. The Flyers and Raiders have 15 teams from Squirt to Bantam, the Patriots typically have 9, and there are also some rogue teams. However, these are all private organizations that receive no support from the Park District or City. Fargo recently built 2 rinks, which means there are now 4 public rinks for a city that is over 100,000. In other words, the number of sheets of ice are pathetic. I could go on all day, but there would definitely be support if: (1) Fargo would build a quality arena and (2) the Park District and City would provide some financial support rather than simply supporting golf and softball. :(

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(2) the Park District and City would provide some financial support rather than simply supporting golf and softball. :(

i think the main reason the city does this is to attract businesses/high-quality workers... having nice golf courses/softball leagues is definitely a plus to any business looking to relocate.. and judging by fargo's growth this seems to be working OK (however an argument could be made that adding hockey rinks would be beneficial to attracting minnesotans with kids wanting to play hockey... personally i would rather have golf courses)

i think the main reason the city does this is to attract businesses/high-quality workers... having nice golf courses/softball leagues is definitely a plus to any business looking to relocate.. and judging by fargo's growth this seems to be working OK (however an argument could be made that adding hockey rinks would be beneficial to attracting minnesotans with kids wanting to play hockey... personally i would rather have golf courses)

If that is the reason, it is short-sighted. Most people that move into Fargo, particularly those with money, have kids. Kids participate in soccer, baseball, hockey, golf and other sports. If you go to Minneapolis, the sports complexes for soccer, hockey and baseball are unbelievable. Wayzata, Eden Prairie, Blaine, Apple Valley, etc. have far superior facilities to Fargo in all of those sports, even though these suburbs are smaller in population. If you are a young professional (doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc.) and you are thinking of relocating, do you think that might not be a factor? Particularly when the rate of pay is higher in the Twin Cities and the cost of living lower? Furthermore, if you do decide to locate to this area, why not go to Moorhead where they have far better hockey facilities and program? You can always golf in Fargo or the lakes.

The cost of living in Fargo is lower than that in the TC's or the 'burbs

That's a big load of crap the F-M business community spews to try and draw in talent from MSP. (I know, because I've had enough recruiters try that line, while shorting my comp by 60-70%). Granted housing in Fargo may be lower than Minneapolis/St. Paul proper, but it is reasonably comparable to the outer 'burbs. However, property taxes in Fargo are going up like Minneapolis'. Moreover, the costs of most goods and services in Fargo and Minneapolis are approximately the same. On the flip side, Mpls has trees and a few hills. :D:p

Just a slight news flash. Most gopher fans don't consider the sioux/gopher matchup as a huge rivalry (since the main rivalry there is with the badgers). I would say #2 though. Most teams in the wcha by default have the gophers as their #1 rivalry.

NDSU football already took down the chances for a hockey program with their political pull in the dome situation making the dome unavailable for hockey. The original design and intention was to allow for hockey. So the story/rumor goes. If they got hockey then the school wouldn't be in any rush to go D1 (like UND is right now).

Good teams and good playoff matchups is what builds rivalries. Thus, if by some chance, NDSU had a hockey team, it would take years. NDSU would be forced to play the caliber of teams like bemidji and AA (oh wait, the sioux tied AA this year)

A little blurb on football. I had a great time tailgating at alerus this year. All i care about is the tailgating, beer, and some good football with a bison win. UND will go D1. They have to. I can't imagine watching my team playing teams like UMD and Mankato all year long. Hope you sioux fans enjoy that. It is the loss for both schools and cities that we are not in the same div.

Just a slight news flash.  Most gopher fans don't consider the sioux/gopher matchup as a huge rivalry (since the main rivalry there is with the badgers).

Actually they do consider it to be a huge rivalry. Over half consider the Badgers to be the number one rivalry, but they still consider the Sioux to be a huge rivalry and others consider it to be the number one rivalry.

Granted housing in Fargo may be lower than Minneapolis/St. Paul proper, but it is reasonably comparable to the outer 'burbs. :D:p

Which outer burb? Eden Prairie or Woodbury? ;)

I have a friend in Fargo whose house was appraised at $140,000. In Woodbury, a comparable house would be $270,000. You really have to get out of the City to compare to Fargo. Maybe like Redwing, Cannon Falls.

I see the Gopher/Sioux/Badger rivalry to be something of a weird thing and hard to explain, but here's my take.

The fact that a lot of U of M fans say that UW is their #1 fan is because UW plays U of M in most of their sports already (Basketball, football, hockey, probably volleyball too). The fact that that is the case would put more fans of U of M putting weight on that rivalry than just hockey (eliminating all of the other sports and just listing hockey). Therefore, I would expect Minny fans to list UW as their top rival and not the Sioux. However, historically in HOCKEY ALONE, I would argue that Gophers/Sioux is a very large rivalry.

It's a pretty huge "if" to assume that NDSU could field a college hockey team that wouldn't just plain suck. I know this is an old issue, but...

First and foremost, in order to compete, you need a nice facility. NDSU failed to show the will to compete in hockey in the past in this regard.

Unless the move to D1 is wildly successful, I doubt Fargo will want to pony up for a university already in-the-red for a nice facility.

You can't recruit players of the calibur to compete with UND without having some serious facilities and a top-notch coaching staff. NDSU can't just waltz in with these things overnight.

In order to become a "rival" to UND, the Bison would have to field a team that isn't second-rate. I don't see that happening.

Of course, I could be wrong. I personally would love to see a Bison/Sioux hockey series. Many at UND would love to see the Sioux beat up on NDSU perpetually.

I just couldn't get off this thread without puting in my two cents (four if you live in Fargo). Many will say that St Cloud is the Jan Brady U, but at least they have D1 Hockey so I guess that NDSU is moving into this new role. They are joining the Jan Brady Division of D1AA. Note to NDSU: win at D2 before you move up to D1. I always find it interesting that the NDSU people that post here say that Fargo is not a hockey town. I say don't speak of that which you do not know. Look at the youth numbers, look at the fan base for the Sioux in Fargo, look at the national youth tourneys that come to the area,...... We at UND are sorry if the game is to complex for those of you attending RCCU (Rodeo Clown College University), but I feel confident if the hockey hotbed that you mentioned in Omaha can figure it out then you goat ropers can catch on as well. I think that it has been more of an avoidance by RCCU because they don't need another sport to have the Sioux hand them their asses to. If you built it they would have come. Fargo was not exactly a baseball hot bed (not bad, but not like other sports). Yet, they built a great minor league baseball facility that in some regards was bigger than the event itself and low and behold they came. What is the worst thing that would have happened if you had constructed a hockey stadium. You could have sold the refrigeration unit, covered it with dirt and had one hell of a bull riding stadium and on non-event nights you could have stole some business from the Arthur Barn Dance to help you finance it. :D

I just couldn't get off this thread without puting in my two cents (four if you live in Fargo). Many will say that St Cloud is the Jan Brady U, but at least they have D1 Hockey so I guess that NDSU is moving into this new role. They are joining the Jan Brady Division of D1AA. Note to NDSU: win at D2 before you move up to D1. I always find it interesting that the NDSU people that post here say that Fargo is not a hockey town. I say don't speak of that which you do not know. Look at the youth numbers, look at the fan base for the Sioux in Fargo, look at the national youth tourneys that come to the area,...... We at UND are sorry if the game is to complex for those of you attending RCCU (Rodeo Clown College University), but I feel confident if the hockey hotbed that you mentioned in Omaha can figure it out then you goat ropers can catch on as well. I think that it has been more of an avoidance by RCCU because they don't need another sport to have the Sioux hand them their asses to. If you built it they would have come. Fargo was not exactly a baseball hot bed (not bad, but not like other sports). Yet, they built a great minor league baseball facility that in some regards was bigger than the event itself and low and behold they came. What is the worst thing that would have happened if you had constructed a hockey stadium. You could have sold the refrigeration unit, covered it with dirt and had one hell of a bull riding stadium and on non-event nights you could have stole some business from the Arthur Barn Dance to help you finance it. :silly:

I have had USHL Season tickets and NHL season tickets, regularily attend the Minnesota State High School Hockey Tourney. I get enough hockey in the Twin Cities. I will drive to Fargo for football and basketball, but not hockey. Omaha had a hockey history prior to UNO. Ever heard of Gordie Howe or Terry Sawchuk or Marcel Pronovost. They played in Omaha. Name a hockey player from Fargo from the 40's, 50's or 60's. Roger Maris made Fargo a baseball town long before the Redhawks came around. The Roger Maris Golf Tourney just celebrated 20 years. Blake left early last year because everyone was going to Mudcat Grant, Jim Marshall and Carl Eller for autographs instead. The people that would buy the hockey tickets talk baseball and football, they go to Twinsfest, attend the Twins caravans, they buy baseball and football memorabilia. There are a lot of youth and parents of youth involved in hockey in Fargo, but there is also a lot of soccer youth and parents in Fargo and around the country. Fargo is not a soccer town or a hockey town.

If the people of Fargo were to rely on you driving back to make it a hockey town you would be right, but they don't have to.

Walter Running '61-64

James "Bob" South '46-47

Lets not leave out the future

Brian Williams

and Minnesota Draft pick Danny Irmen.

That is just Fargo. I don't think that you could realistically leave out Moorhead. Do you think that people from Moorhead don't support RCCU?

If the people of Fargo were to rely on you driving back to make it a hockey town you would be right, but they don't have to.

Walter Running '61-64

James "Bob" South '46-47

Lets not leave out the future

Brian Williams

and Minnesota Draft pick Danny Irmen.

That is just Fargo. I don't think that you could realistically leave out Moorhead. Do you think that people from Moorhead don't support RCCU?

And what Fargo team did they play for. I said Howe, Sawchuk and Pronovost played for the Omaha (Knights) team, and this was a Detroit Red Wings minor league team. Hockey history, not just a random player here and there. I did mention Blake in my previous post. He was not as popular as the other athletes from other sports. In Grand Forks the story would have been different. When I said I wouldn't drive to Fargo for NDSU hockey, I was just giving my opinion as one NDSU Alum that buys season tickets. Maybe it's just the college game that I don't enjoy as much as High School, USHL, and the NHL.

Just a slight news flash. Most gopher fans don't consider the sioux/gopher matchup as a huge rivalry (since the main rivalry there is with the badgers). I would say #2 though. Most teams in the wcha by default have the gophers as their #1 rivalry.

Really? I guess the arena record crowd on Friday night of 10,327 doesn't mean squat?

Yes I did fall out of the ugly mood tree and yes I did hit every branch on the way down!! :silly:

;)

If you read the post I said that I did not even include Moorhead. This is exactly what I mean by being the Jan Brady of North Dakota hockey. Bison fan feels the need to come to this site and talk about how Fargo is not a hockey town so Bison hockey would never work. How do you know. You won't, because you all have this dream squashing mentality that it won't.

Fargo didn't have a have a team in the '30's, '40's...... so it won't work today? Note to Bison fans, last time I checked the game is being played in a lot of non-hockey towns.

If the Sioux relied on alumni driving 3 hours or more to fill the arena, there would be a lot of empty seats. That's the point! Attract some new fans which may in turn be fans that join yourcollege in the future. Is that not the reason that you are going D1AA? Or is it that women's softball and wrastlin' will be the only things that you will ever be competitive in again.