SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux fans vs. Gopher fans

Marty

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hauser wasn't the first goalie to slash an opposing player, and I'm sure he won't be the last. For as much as people ripped the guy, he had a pretty good record. I never had a problem with him or any of the Gophers. Some of their fans on USCHO can be annoying, but the players have never bothered me.

He might have been the first in an overtime for a national championship in which the teams are tied and the puck is moving up ice for what was the eventual game winning goal. Didn't you see the game?

The Raiders comment was tongue in cheek. Personally I think they s&ck but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

EVERYTHING went the Gopher's way in 2002...sure they had a great team but also seemed to get critical calls (and non calls) and played the entire playoffs and Frozen Four at HOME! Last years victory was impressive however. Playing on the road and against two teams that I thought they couldn't get by for the title. Kudos on the 2003 crown.

Sorry I would rather see Alabama-Hunstville run off a string of 10 straight than see Minnesota win another one.

My opinion was that it should have been called, since it seemed worthy of a penalty call, and he had just called a penalty on Maine. If it had been 5-on-5, in OT, I don't think it should have been called. Lucia obviously thought it was a borderline action, since he sent someone out to tell AH to knock it off.

That segment on PA & Dubay was so biased and unfair. I don't mean to sound like a whiner but my god!

Are you new to this part of the country?

:)

Besides it's been well documented here and with a number of Minnie fans that PA & Dubay are about as clued into college hockey as Craig Dahl. :(

My opinion was that it should have been called, since it seemed worthy of a penalty call, and he had just called a penalty on Maine. If it had been 5-on-5, in OT, I don't think it should have been called. Lucia obviously thought it was a borderline action, since he sent someone out to tell AH to knock it off.

I was sitting 5 rows up behind AH in net and saw that - couldn't believe it.

A weekly segment featuring Gopher hockey players on a radio station based in the Twin Cities was biased!?!? I just can't believe that.

I have no problem with them being biased, except they have to remember that they broadcast outside of the Twin Cities into Grand Forks, Fargo, St. Cloud and UMD, etc., and constantly belittle other programs and their fans. The bigger problem, however, is that they have no objectivity (kind of like Wayne and Garth) and they are HORRIBLE. PA is 2nd only to the White Sox announcers in homerism and poor play-by-play, and he's better and more objective than Dubay. Dubay acts like he's about 18 with his immature comments and lack of professionalism. However, no one makes me listen to them, so I seldom do unless there is absolutely nothing else on. For the life of me, I don't know why anyone would listen to them, particularly if you are a fan of any team other than the Gophers or the Vikings. If they tick you off that much, don't listen! :(

I have heard some on this board complain about Woog, but Woog is much more knowledgeable and objective than PA and Dubay. He can be a little bit of a homer, like Tim Hennessy, but I actually enjoy listening to him, particularly when the Gophers are playing someone other than the Sioux.

As a Sioux fan who does not hate the Gophers, I am in no position to pass judgement on anybody for having an opinion that goes against conventional thinking... but personally I just don't understand how a fan of a WCHA team can cheer for a team from out east with all the east/west bias in college hockey. That's just me I guess, each to their own. What I honestly don't understand is why the Gophers, and not Wisconsin, are the target of so much hatred. I've been confused about that one for the past 20+ years. There was never a water bottle incident and bench-clearing brawl that spilled over into the stands involving the Gophers.

It is pretty easy when you were born and raised in a Boston suburb. :(

As a Sioux fan who does not hate the Gophers, I am in no position to pass judgement on anybody for having an opinion that goes against conventional thinking... but personally I just don't understand how a fan of a WCHA team can cheer for a team from out east with all the east/west bias in college hockey. That's just me I guess, each to their own. What I honestly don't understand is why the Gophers, and not Wisconsin, are the target of so much hatred. I've been confused about that one for the past 20+ years. There was never a water bottle incident and bench-clearing brawl that spilled over into the stands involving the Gophers.

From my perspective, it has nothing to do with the players, and everything to do with the fans and announcers. The Gophers play a great brand of hockey that is the most similar to the style of UND and CC. However, the Gopher fans and announcers are a different story. As I stated in an earlier thread, Wisconsin fans always cheer for the Sioux and other WCHA teams when they are not playing Wisconsin. Minnesota fans do not. When the Sioux beat Wisconsin, I have never heard the excuses like: (1) the only reason the Sioux won was because they had 25 year old Canadians or (2) the academic standards are lower or (3) the Sioux are a Division II team and its easier to win when you only have to concentate on one D1 sport or (4) the only reason you win is because you recruit heavily out of Minnesota, etc. etc.

Bottom line: it is the arrogance and excuses of the Gopher announcers, media and fans. Wisconsin and UND have mutual respect for each others' programs.

From my perspective, it has nothing to do with the players, and everything to do with the fans and announcers. The Gophers play a great brand of hockey that is the most similar to the style of UND and CC. However, the Gopher fans and announcers are a different story. As I stated in an earlier thread, Wisconsin fans always cheer for the Sioux and other WCHA teams when they are not playing Wisconsin. Minnesota fans do not. When the Sioux beat Wisconsin, I have never heard the excuses like: (1) the only reason the Sioux won was because they had 25 year old Canadians or (2) the academic standards are lower or (3) the Sioux are a Division II team and its easier to win when you only have to concentate on one D1 sport or (4) the only reason you win is because you recruit heavily out of Minnesota, etc. etc.

Bottom line: it is the arrogance and excuses of the Gopher announcers, media and fans. Wisconsin and UND have mutual respect for each others' programs.

Unfortunately that perceived arrogance has turned into a hypocritical situation now with regards to their fan's previous feelings about out of state players...Back to my point about the Sioux's arena. Gopher fans are critical of it now - but you watch what would happen if T Denny were to ever flip them 75M for a new building.

I have no problem with them being biased, except they have to remember that they broadcast outside of the Twin Cities into Grand Forks, Fargo, St. Cloud and UMD, etc., and constantly belittle other programs and their fans.

Wrong. Last year, they essentially adopted Mankato as their second favorite team. Whenever the program turned to college hockey, PA was sure to drop Joseph and Stevenson's names and talk up their unbeaten streak.

For all of their constant belittling...they still seem to find time to do their show in Grand Forks and Mankato and Duluth. They still find the time to have Blais on, Jutting on and Dahl on.

Today from the mouths of PA and Dubay, I heard a split predicted. I heard the comment that North Dakota was the legitimate number one this year and a far better team than last year. I also heard that Parise could suit up for the Devils right now.

After one caller from Grand Forks spent a minute going off on the Gophers, PA's first comment was "Great Call" because they appreciated the enthusiasm and hype surrounding the series.

I have no problem with them being biased, except they have to remember that they broadcast outside of the Twin Cities into Grand Forks, Fargo, St. Cloud and UMD, etc., and constantly belittle other programs and their fans.

You said it perfectly. They only want to rile up everyone outside of the Cities. I don't mind homerism on things like the radio/local TV, but my problem with FSN and KFAN is that they are heard throughout the upper midwest.

Good points, but then why should we stoop to their level by making excuses for why they won the 2002 national championship (they only won it because the Frozen Four was in St. Paul)?

I think the point was that Hauser was a hack. Snowballed into "home-ice". Never initially mentioned as an "excuse".

Sweet. We are getting closer to the game and everyone is getting excited now. The Gophers did a great job to get to the finals in both years. The truth is, they didn't earn it in 2002 and it was given to them. There were several non-calls against them, and then they were given the power play. Last year they did it on their own. Woog is a pretty good guy. He did an interview at the bench and the students were doing the Woog Sucks **** cheer very loud so it would be on the recording. Woog could have been pissed off about it, but instead he laughed at it and waved over to the students that had spent several hours outside. I think it was not only classy, but a sign of appreciation for what the students did to get into the game and what atmosphere they bring to the game.

You are stooping to our level.

TC what are your demographics? UM grad? UND grad? no grad? which is it?

I hope you aren't one of those jacka$$ UND students I saw cheering for the Gophers in the UND student section in November.

Are you perhaps that Gopher fan with a 1/2 set of nicotine stained chicklets that sat behind me at the Final Five last year?

Gotta take a little ribbing there partner - take a look at the header on this page (Says SIOUX which obviously you are not based on your views).

It's hypocritical to whine about Gopher fans given fans of EVERY team in the history of mankind act like jackasses. Every whiney remark you make about Gopher fans applies to equal perentage of Sioux fans, Badger fans, Husky fans....

Good points, but then why should we stoop to their level by making excuses for why they won the 2002 national championship (they only won it because the Frozen Four was in St. Paul)?

I agree, and I have never said that. Like any national championship, you have to have a little luck to win. The bottom line, however, is that you won it. There is no asterick next to a national championship. The Sioux caught a break in 1997 when they did not have to go to Michigan. They did not in 1998, and had to play in Michigan. Ironically, the 98 team was much more talented. The Gophers caught a break the last 2 years when Denver and CC had to go to Michigan. However, all they could do was take care of their own business by winning and they did that. They deserve recognition for winning the past 2 years. It's not easy to win a national championship.

However, the fact that they won the past 2 does not automatically annoint them as the greatest program in the country, either now or over time. There are many programs that can make a legitimate case for being the best, including UM, UND, Michigan, Maine, BC, BU and even Wisconsin and Michigan State. It's a little like saying that Miami is the best in football. It depends on the era and one's perspective. I would think that people from Nebraska, Oklahoma, Florida State and others may feel differently.

As I've said, the biggest problem that I have with Gopher fans and announcers is the arrogance---that they are the best, and they spin the facts to make that case---and the fact that whenever someone else wins, there is always an excuse---"its only because you use 25 year old Canadians," etc.

As I've said, the biggest problem that I have with Gopher fans and announcers is the arrogance
Thank God UND fans aren't arrogant.

That's why Ross plays at Alabama and Bochenski plays at the best college hockey school in the country.

If someone from Alabama-Huntsville wins the Hobey, Hobey Baker himself would start spinning in his grave.