SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux fans vs. Gopher fans

Marty

As a matter of fact, no I didn't. But thanks for asking. What difference does it make anyways? I was somewhat of a slacker in high school and didn't get good enough grades to get into a fine institution like UND, so I went to school at a technical college. To be a fan of the Sioux football and hockey teams, must you possess a diploma from the school? To the best of my knowledge there is no such policy. Grand Forks is my hometown, so I think I am entitled to be a fan. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

I think he was just making a joke because you don't quite have the normal set of allegiances for a Sioux fan.

Sioux fandom is a big tent -- everyone welcome, even Fargoans.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a matter of fact, no I didn't. But thanks for asking. What difference does it make anyways? I was somewhat of a slacker in high school and didn't get good enough grades to get into a fine institution like UND, so I went to school at a technical college. To be a fan of the Sioux football and hockey teams, must you possess a diploma from the school? To the best of my knowledge there is no such policy. Grand Forks is my hometown, so I think I am entitled to be a fan. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

My point being that if you spent 5 or 6 of the best years of your life getting educated at UND :( (pun intended) your view of being an occasional pro-Gopher might not be what it is. When you get immersed in the culture of UND and Sioux hockey I find it hard to believe you can even consider allegiance to another program. Not a bad thing mind you (your multi-team fondness) but I understand a little more now your following other programs being a sports fan and all.

Just got back from the Blue Line Luncheon here at Jax. Dean. Hennessy. A solid show of some other Sioux support. Mostly Gopher fans, meaning that the average age was just below the Ray Christenson Line.

Dean is a fine public speaker. Talked about children and grandchildren. It was clear that those are the things, and people, in life that he most cherishes.

Suggested that we would deny The Don is 400th. Dean marvelled at that number, as Dean said that he is 53 and only has about 250 wins.

Said the NHL strike may allow both Don and Dean to keep some of the better players around another year, and if the league does, the strength of the league will be even stronger next year.

Dean spoke with great pride at how the Gold Line returned with great pride. Dean has been involved with coaching several international teams. He described, with some emotion, the emotion that national players feel before big international games, typically being moved to tears before the puck drops. Very cool descriptions.

Said that Murray at first wanted to play for Canada, but took the USA route because of all of the major junior talent on the Canadian team, that would have left Brady on the outside looking in. Dual citizenship. Andy Murray's idea, and IMHO a damned good one. The pro-Brown & Yellow crowd seemed to deflate as Dean shared North Dakota's contribution to the USA gold this time around.

Brian Bonin was there. Spoke briefly. He is back from overseas, and has a potentially career-ending wrist injury. Sounds like some doctors may have missed the mark on that one. Dean was very gracious in pointing out what a fine player Bonin is, and equated him to Jason Blake. The game, as is life, is often made of breaks. Jason got a good one, Brian has not yet had one. Bonin is expecting his second kid, and said that he will be scalping his game tickets outside the arena tonight.

Both coaches mentioned that the weekend series is a big one. Both pointed to the future as being much more important.

Frank Mazzacco, or however you spell his name, was MC. Recognized Hennessy. Called up Somnor, who told a good story about his days of coaching Canadians on the Gopher squads from the late 60's, and how Dean was a young freshman linemate of two Canucks who were kicked off the team. Dean then teamed with Antonvich, and the team took off to the top of the league standings.

Doug Woog has a birthday this weekend. Although he did not say, it looked like he would be more than happy to accept cases of Premium.

The Don droned on about his team, their up-and-down season, the schedule ahead, blah blah blah. I have seen the Don before, and he can be entertaining. He clearly was not this time. If coaches are reflections of their teams, then I predict that the Sioux will be a much looser team than will the Gophers tonight.

I know I am missing a few things here, but that is about it. Sat next to some good Gopher guys, although alot of them treated me like I had leprosy when I showed up in Sioux garb.

Can't wait to listen to the quiet in The John come around the 44-minute mark tonight.

Oh yes. In good natured banter, Dean said that The Don will not get 400 this weekend, and The Don said that he will move to 401.

The Don also said that Dean has a great "laid back" style to him, but that he would cut your eyes out if he had too.

Dean told the story of his grandkid scratching his eye while wrestling recently. The Don, in his only real attempt at, or hit upon humor, suggested that he was surprised that Dean did not return the favor, and scratch his grandkid's eye to even the score.

The Coach's Fraternity.

A cool thing.

Players have the same bond? Unlikely I say. Unlikely.

The fans? Most should, others cannot.