SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux fans vs. Gopher fans

Marty

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gophers caught a lot of breaks in '02 that is for sure. However, keep in mind that had they had respectable performance by Hauser they may have won the game by in regulation. To Hauser's credit, he did make a lot of saves against Maine, but the 2nd and 3rd Maine goals were weak goaltender errors.

The '02 Gophers have to be the only team that won two 1-goal Frozen Four games despite allowing a goal each game from below the goal line.

I started watching in '81, at age ten. The '81, '88, '89, '92, '93, and '96 teams were all as clearly as good as the teams who won the tourney, but not once did those teams get the breaks to put them over the top. This does not include Frozen Four teams of '94 and '95 who certainly could have got "lucky."

While your guys were racking up NCAA titles, my guys were coming up empty. So whether the '02 Gophers were lucky or not, it doesn't matter to me!

If you all had to watch the UW broadcast every weekend and especially during the '99-'00 season, you'd find them every bit as annoying as the Gophs.

Reads like some folks may be parading out the age card.

After the Sioux won their seventh in 2000, I talked to Sid on his radio show. Of course, he would give the Sioux no credit. Claimed that the Sioux were older than the Gophers. Having studied the rosters thoroughly, I told him that the Sioux were in fact younger, on average, than the Gophers. He then played the "experience in the juniors" card. I asked him what NCAA regulation prohibited kids from playing in the juniors, or any team recruiting out of the junior ranks. Of course, he had none. (Do not, however, forget the Skarperud Rule that took Tim's senior year away from him). I then told Sid that Dean Blais was getting all of the best kids out of Minnesota. Of course, Sid blustered, and claimed that he would become Pope before that ever happened.

Well, there must have been alot of folks praying for Sidney, because if he knows what he is talking about, he will be up to replace John Paulo here in the not too distant future.

:(

cfm. . . .

Hilarious. Funny thing, I was at the Final Five and these guys were all around me, busting out of their jerseys.

I have a funnier story....I think you have already read about a Gopher fan "assuming" I was from Nodak due to my Sioux cap at a Final Five game last year - anyway this was the guy with the nice set of chicklets. He assumed I drove down from Nodak after jumping off my combine duty for the day....So time passes and I'm now at the Regionals watching the Sioux lose to Ferris a coupla weeks later...I hear some Gopher fans heckling at me again (due to said cap) from a few rows behind my seat. Of course I turn around to take a peek at the source and I kid you not it was three guys in farmer's overalls with Gopher hockey sweatshirts underneath! Dumb, dumb and dumber......I mouthed "Figures" as I passed them on my way out of the arena. I wish I could have paired up Mr. Chicklets with these guys...would have been a love connection for sure.

. . .three guys in farmer's overalls with Gopher hockey sweatshirts underneath!

Funny.

No doubt the sweatshirts were gravy-stained, and their mommas hadn't had a chance to wash them yet. Probably why they were wearing the bibs. :(

Gopher fans think that they are Big City. Well, just look at the demographics. Here in Minnesoota, they grow corn and raise hockey players.

In North Dakota, we are smart enough to grow beets, and raise banners.

Let's play hockey.

Figures they'd be in your section. When I was watching North Dakota lose to Ferris State, I had to sit next to these three former University of Minnesota students.

Just my luck

Hey TC . . . .

What are these guys' names? Never forget, looks can be deceiving. The only thing that is not deceiving, and that remains an immutable rule of logic and debate is . . . . .

Seven is a bigger number than five, eh?

1,389 is bigger than seven too.

That fabled Minnesota Education Association lobby ever teach you all how to convert numbers into common denominators?

I am talking seven years of uncontroverted dominance in the world of college hockey. You are talking a mere handful of days.

Lest you forget that Jimmy Carter was President last time your boys stepped on the platform before 2002?

Lets see. Run this one for me TC . . . .

23 years x 365 days +5-6 additional leap year days = What???

Put these numbers in your crack pipe my friend . . . .

Hey, let's play hockey, eh?

You seem so comfortable in the past though...how can you focus on the present?

Maybe you can pull out the VHS tape from the 2000 title game...or do you have it on laser disc?

TC . . . . Love ya man.

I can focus on the present because this Sioux team might be just one of the best ever.

Check us out. Our tradition. We've titles in five different decades. You guys a couple. You'd better be careful here. Hate to see you go the way of the Lakers of LSSU, or the Ramblin' Wreck of Michigan Tech.

Couldn't afford laser disk. Old tapes mean nothing when we are always cooking up things new.

Was that you looking for copies of tapes from the Glory Years over on POI?

Let's Play Hockey, eh?

Didn't you say the exact same thing last January? Oh wait, that was everyone here.

The glory years? Why didn't you just say the present?

Not me. Had a life last year. Wasn't whiling it away arguing the relative merits of states, schools, and hockey players with the likes of you and the many great guys on this board.

Then one day my old lady threw me out. :( I haven't missed a game, home or away, ever since! :)

Holy schnikies cfm567b27, lighten up. :(

Did you fail to notice the ;) in my post, as well as the fact I said I think it's ridiculous for a fan of either team to claim the other program is headed for a demise? I simply responded to a comment the Gopher program is slipping by noting UND has gone longer without a NC. Not to be serious but to demonstrate the irony and illegitimacy of the original claim.

As for the tired old arrogant whining, at least you admit Sioux fans are arrogant. :D

Back to back means nothing. Sh$t the Boston Celtics won like 4 in a row at one time in the 50's or 60's but no one gives a damn about that - what they do remember however is that they have 16 titles the most of any NBA franchise. Similar situation .....just different sport.

First of all, people do remember teams that win multiple titles in a row and no one is trying to take away from the fact UND has 7 titles. They earned them and their fans should be proud of that, so spend more time enjoying your program and less time worrying about the Gophers. :)

Holy schnikies cfm567b27, lighten up. :(

Did you fail to notice the :D in my post, as well as the fact I said I think it's ridiculous for a fan of either team to claim the other program is headed for a demise? I simply responded to a comment the Gopher program is slipping by noting UND has gone longer without a NC. Not to be serious but to demonstrate the irony and illegitimacy of the original claim.

As for the tired old arrogant whining, at least you admit Sioux fans are arrogant. :0

First of all, people do remember teams that win multiple titles in a row and no one is trying to take away from the fact UND has 7 titles. They earned them and their fans should be proud of that, so spend more time enjoying your program and less time worrying about the Gophers. :)

Thanks for clearing that up ;)

Sorry I would rather see Alabama-Hunstville run off a string of 10 straight than see Minnesota win another one.

I couldn't agree more! It's just not fun when you don't hate the other teams in your conference.

DaveK, do you hate anyone? It sounds like you're the nicest guy in the world. I do have one question for you. Would you rather see the Chargers or the Broncos win the Super Bowl if the Raiders weren't in it? If you would that's amazing. I would be shocked if you could find one Vikings fan who would rather see the Packers win the Super Bowl than some other team from a different division.

To me it doesn't seem right to root for more than one team in a league. You pick a team and you stick with them. You don't pick two teams and then move to the other one if one team is out of it. That's cheating. Pick a favorite team!

To Hauser's credit, he did make a lot of saves against Maine, but the 2nd and 3rd Maine goals were weak goaltender errors.

The '02 Gophers have to be the only team that won two 1-goal Frozen Four games despite allowing a goal each game from below the goal line.

Hauser just couldn't seem to seal off the pipe fast enough. I could not believe he let in two of the same type of goals in back-to-back games. He seemed to very frustrated after Maine took the lead late in the third in the NC game. He must have known that it was the exact same goal that let Michigan nearly come back from 3-0 to tie.

I couldn't agree more! It's just not fun when you don't hate the other teams in your conference.

DaveK, do you hate anyone? It sounds like you're the nicest guy in the world. I do have one question for you. Would you rather see the Chargers or the Broncos win the Super Bowl if the Raiders weren't in it? If you would that's amazing. I would be shocked if you could find one Vikings fan who would rather see the Packers win the Super Bowl than some other team from a different division.

To me it doesn't seem right to root for more than one team in a league. You pick a team and you stick with them. You don't pick two teams and then move to the other one if one team is out of it. That's cheating. Pick a favorite team!

I think there is more conference spirit in college hockey, than pro sports. Not too many people are saying, "Well Tampa Bay is out, but Carolina is still going, and they're in our division!! Whoopee!!".

In 2001, when UMD went up to Grand Forks for the WCHA first round as a ten seed, beat them in game one, and lead 2-0 midway through the second, I was having dreams of the Dogs being the first ten seed to win a first round series. The dream was crushed, as the Sioux went on to win 6-2, and 4-0 the following night (UMD's last shutout loss, currently 107 games w/o being shutout). I went down to the Final Five, and found myself cheering a frantic Sioux rally in the third period. I'm sure you remember being down 5-2 with 10 minutes remaining and tying w/ under a minute left, only to lose in OT. It was odd leaving after a Sioux loss and actually feeling some disappointment. I cheered the Sioux in 2000 in the NC game, but this experience made me into a Sioux hockey fan (as long as UMD is not involved in the game!).