SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

Not true unless things have changed greatly in the last two or three years. I lived and worked in Seattle about 5 or 6 years ago which was just after they shut down or limited booster pay to HS coaches. The highest paid coach before that was at Bellevue High School (really good program) and he made 100K a year all paid by boosters. He didn't teach, just coached football. In Texas, which I have spent 10 of the last 12 years they will actually post a list of the highest paid educational staff in the newspaper and the Athletic Coordinator/Head Football Coach tend to be high on the list but I never saw anyone listed over 110K.

<removed> and you know it, <removed> they get cars and houses down there on top of their salary, go away.

<removed> and you know it, <removed> they get cars and houses down there on top of their salary, go away.

Dude you are clueless, I worked with some of these guys and yes they may get a few perks and most college coaches do as well, but they don't get a house or car. The UND coaches got a lease of a car, and that isn't unusual. It is funny how the myth of what goes on in TX football grows and the people that propagate it don't actually have a clue. Kid of like most poster on this board in regard to actual football and coaching football. My personal experience doesn't trump your make believe world, <removed> clown.

Fresh start as in all new coaches without ties to UND? New players? 4-5 year plan? Recruit new areas? Start with 3 wins in yr 1 and end with 10 wins in year 5? Older players sit as younger players mature?

Yes, I believe that would be good. Focus on football, not past buddies and schmoozers.

There are always new players, every year.

Too long: 2-3 year plan.

Sure, but focus on the back yard -- where the good linemen are.

I'd like to see higher goals for winning than yours.

Best player on the field -- class designation matters not, performance does.*

*In hockey terms, skate or sit.

Does that make Deboer 1.3? Cause I actually like the idea of him being the coach.

Given that DeBoer has never been at UND I think he could only be "Lennon 1.1" at SIU.

At UND he'd be DeBoer 1.0

Thinking some more ... Bubba and Muss were Lennon assistants. ...Uh-oh ... Lennon is Thomas 1.1

Muss was Thomas 1.1.1 !!! :D

Lennon = Lennon 1.0

Mussman = Lennon 1.1

Bubba would be Lennon 1.2 ;)

UND 2.0

Personally, I'm really just not adverse to Bubba. He doesn't make for an exciting interview (ala Mussman). But I think he has the credentials. He was successful in DII, he's been successful in DI. He has HC experience. Honestly, I think Bubba would command the respect/fear of his players. Something Mussman never did. I will never forget the year we hosted UM-Duluth in the playoffs when Bubba was HC of the Bulldogs. Back then, my seats were right behind the visiors bench. I've never seen a guy turn 3 shades of red so fast as I did Bubba that day, screaming and hollering at his guys. Just sayin' that the guy gets fired up when the game is going on. Not implying that a coach needs to be that way, just that I never really saw that from Mussman. Never really saw it from Lennon either. He was always more stoic like Hakstol is. I really think Bubba could do well here, provided that he can fill out a competent staff.

I am VERY good friends with the booster club president at a top 5 HS program in the south and he told me that the head coach gets 100k, a car and home. He does not teach at all, he only coaches football and strength training for football.

I can tell you flat out that isn't true because all coaches must have a full time position at the school in which they coach! Bruce Matthews had to work as the resident sub, or every day sub in order to Coach Jake and quit because he didn't like the headaches of subbing. So, I hate to tell you this but you booster friend is full or it. Most Head coaches are Coordinators for the school which limits how much they teach but is usually replaced by other administrative duties.

Gary Joseph at Katy High School is the top of the top in TX HS football and makes very good money but no house or car is given to him. He could possibly get the use of a house or car but all it would be is essentially free rent or lease. But when he leaves or is fired they are not his property.

Personally, I'm really just not adverse to Bubba. He doesn't make for an exciting interview (ala Mussman). But I think he has the credentials. He was successful in DII, he's been successful in DI. He has HC experience. Honestly, I think Bubba would command the respect/fear of his players. Something Mussman never did. I will never forget the year we hosted UM-Duluth in the playoffs when Bubba was HC of the Bulldogs. Back then, my seats were right behind the visiors bench. I've never seen a guy turn 3 shades of red so fast as I did Bubba that day, screaming and hollering at his guys. Just sayin' that the guy gets fired up when the game is going on. Not implying that a coach needs to be that way, just that I never really saw that from Mussman. Never really saw it from Lennon either. He was always more stoic like Hakstol is. I really think Bubba could do well here, provided that he can fill out a competent staff.

Sold!

I have no inside info, but my gut tells me that we will have a coach by Friday...........

End of day Friday, I'd agree. Again, nothing other than intuition.

And I still think it'll be a surprise. Why? The position is open for application until filled. Any new applicant scored at or above the reported list of nine could be called and hired without additional work.

I don't know but believe that Faison still may have a surprise in store ...

Not seeing the success you are - around .500 as a DII coach and a coordinator on a very average DI team. I agree that he would shape up the troops but am not sure he can take us to the level we need to be at.

Sicatoka, this is for YOU! :hypocrite:

There has never been "Lennon 1.0"

Lennon is a branch of the Roger Thomas coaching tree.

Bubba is a branch of the Roger Thomas coaching tree.

Mussman never even raked the leaves under the Roger Thomas coaching tree. ;)

I'm a New England Patriots fan. I hear a lot about the Bill Belichek coaching tree. I'm big into coaching trees..............................(Nick Saban) ;)

Not seeing the success you are - around .500 as a DII coach and a coordinator on a very average DI team. I agree that he would shape up the troops but am not sure he can take us to the level we need to be at.

Bubba is like 4th on my list of preferences but for some reason I feel the need to defend him.

Bubba took over a decent DII team that played in a crap DII conference. When he took over they moved to the best DII conference in the land. He took them to the playoffs and was named Coach of the Year in the nation's best DII conference. He laid the ground work for two DII national championships at UM-Duluth. He steered some of the best defenses that DII had ever seen while at UND (yes, even better than Lennon's). It is not like he has tanked at SIU. They've always been in the upper half if not top 3 of MVC defense there.

He's just got a good resume IMO.

• Upvote 2

Bubba is like 4th on my list of preferences but for some reason I feel the need to defend him.

Bubba took over a decent DII team that played in a crap DII conference. When he took over they moved to the best DII conference in the land. He took them to the playoffs and was named Coach of the Year in the nation's best DII conference. He laid the ground work for two DII national championships at UM-Duluth. He steered some of the best defenses that DII had ever seen while at UND (yes, even better than Lennon's). It is not like he has tanked at SIU. They've always been in the upper half if not top 3 of MVC defense there.

He's just got a good resume IMO.

Sold 2.0