SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux-gopher Week

jk

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm greedy, what can I say? I'm like cfm and I just think there should be more discussion. There have been more posts on sign ideas. :)

Here is some discussion....Why are the POI people dredging up Ralph E and his generous dontation to Sioux hockey - saying he threw a tantrum and threatened to pull out if he didn't get his wishes? Am I living in a bubble or did T Denny just pull his dough out of the proposed football stadium deal because he didn't get his way (his name on the structure). Christ people...If you are going to bitch about someone else's good fortune check the situation in the backyard before ranting. I'm really holding back here in not bringing back my POI login.

Yeah he did threaten to pull out. And you know what? I would have done the exact same thing. When you donate 100M you damn well better get things done the way you want them - period. MONEY TALKS, ALWAYS HAS AND ALWAYS WILL. End of story.

My guess is that they are jealous of our arena. Their arena sucks. There is no atmosphere at all. I admit I like the idea of it being all one level, but it still sucks. I would actually prefer the Kohl Center, and that is a basketball facility. At least there is atmosphere there.

I think their alumni must realize the arrogance of the university, and then decide not to donate money. With a much larger campus, they should be able to match any donations that we can receive. Any money they get is going to football anyway.

It is almost comparable to you're neighbor buying a new Porsche while you drive the family truckster around. Then picking on his car for having Italian heritage and being expensive to maintain - just looking for flaws because deep down you are very resentful of his acquisition.

I personally think the arena itself is nice. There really isn't a bad seat in the mooch at all but the atmosphere sucks. I should know I went to 3 years of hockey games there. Only the students get into the game and the only time it's loud is after a goal or at the end of a period when they do the stupid rouser. (Although, I will admit after a goal that has to be pretty intimidating.) Remember back when we opened the new REA, our horrible season that year, and everyone complained about how bad the atmosphere was. That's on par with how I see the atmosphere in the mooch.

Yeah he did threaten to pull out. And you know what? I would have done the exact same thing.

You, me and about 90% of UND's alumni.

This situation is always portrayed as Ralph forcing his ways on the university, as if his position on the Sioux name issue was like some distant voice in the wilderness.

The reality is that what Ralph wanted is what the majority of North Dakotans and their elected leaders wanted. And if the Sports Illustrated poll is anywhere close to accurate, it's also what a majority of Native Americans in the country wanted.

If UND had caved on the name issue, it would have allowed the minority of a minority to dictate to the majority. Why do people think that would have been a better solution?

You and about 90% of UND's alumni.

This situation is always portrayed as Ralph forcing his ways on the university, as if his position on the Sioux name issue was like some distant voice in the wilderness.

The reality is that what Ralph wanted is what the majority of North Dakotans and their elected leaders wanted. And if the Sports Illustrated poll is anywhere close to accurate, it's also what a majority of Native Americans in the country wanted.

If UND had caved on the name issue, it would have allowed the minority of a minority to dictate to the majority. Why do people think that would have been a better solution?

Make that 99.99% of alums.....I don't know ANYONE who would allow themselves to be influenced in any way shape or form when that much $$$$$ is on the table. Obviously T Denny didn't care to be pushed or influenced either - I say good for him. UM doesn't like it? Then they raise the capital themselves or continue in the "fan friendly" Metrodome.

My guess is that they are jealous of our arena. Their arena sucks. There is no atmosphere at all. I admit I like the idea of it being all one level, but it still sucks. I would actually prefer the Kohl Center, and that is a basketball facility. At least there is atmosphere there.

The arena doesn't suck - most people recognize it as a great hockey facility. Unfortunately, the atmosphere is not what it was at Williams because of all the corporate seats that are filled by people that just don't care or get unused altogether. :)

The arena doesn't suck - most people recognize it as a great hockey facility. Unfortunately, the atmosphere is not what it was at Williams because of all the corporate seats that are filled by people that just don't care or get unused altogether. :(

I don't think it sucks either.....But I wouldn't say it is fantastic. Corporate seating is something every arena has to deal with - you don't mess with the money pipeline.

I definitely agree with that, but having to reduce it to the 6-1-2 is a whole lot less impressive than the 11-1-2 that I keep hearing as evidence of how hot the Gophers are. Like I said, the Gophers have established themselves as being somewhere in the top 5 in the conference by manhandling the lower tier...

One thing to consider when looking at how Minnesota has faired since the first series with UND is the series at UW. While they only took one point, I believe they held a lead late in the Sat game they lost and the series was on the road. So while it is true that a few of their wins of late have been against lower tier WCHA teams, they were in the series at UW and they can't do anything about the schedule at this point. Either way, I expect a split and hope for more. :(

Then you're in the vast minority. :(:)

And that is fine...Like I said...Sight lines are good..seat pitch is good....But the bottom line is that the seats are narrow, I can't have a beer or a decent snack during the game and it really is a dump all things considered (10 years old or not).

I'm sure that gets your ire...but that is fine....I'm a Sioux fan.

One thing to consider when looking at how Minnesota has faired since the first series with UND is the series at UW. While they only took one point, I believe they held a lead late in the Sat game they lost and the series was on the road. So while it is true that a few of their wins of late have been against lower tier WCHA teams, they were in the series at UW and they can't do anything about the schedule at this point. Either way, I expect a split and hope for more. :)

Good call on the split.

As for the UW series, maybe expected, but probably not because, lets face it Wisco isn't that good. They were horrible last year, and this year they're climbing...but they only took 1 from NOTRE DAME!? The goofs blew when they played Bucky, and I think that's why UW got the points they did.

Wisconsin doesn't score a ton, has average/better than average goaltending, and a pretty fine/young defense. That translates to about a 4th place finish.

So in saying that the UW series is a good indicator...I would just look past it because not only was it in that crumby stretch in the beginning, it was against a team that I believe the Gophers are/will be better than.

The games against Michigan/Mich St./New Hampshire are better indicators. Talk about frustrating a Sioux fan to see the gophers play so well, but good for the WCHA. I guess most top 5 teams in the NCAA are going to have 10+ losses by the end of the year...well except for a few hopefully :(

The games against Michigan/Mich St./New Hampshire are better indicators. Talk about frustrating a Sioux fan to see the gophers play so well, but good for the WCHA.

I love to see WCHA teams beat Michigan, Mich. St., UNH, as long as they then lose to the Sioux. The curse of the #1 PWR aside, it's nice to play those 4 seeds in the tournament, especially with the expansion (though it's then that much more gut-wrenching to lose).

While UW may not be as good as their record, the fact is some Sioux fans have said, "wait until after the Gophers play UND and UW before evaluating whether or not they are back". So either UW should be used as an indicator or not. :(

The indicator is NOW....You beat us...and you have a good team...You don't and you can't claim that distinction.

Here it is folks!

I want to see the Gophers play TWO consecutive good games. Against a team like UND, which let's face it, there aren't many (any :( ) I believe the Gophers can't put together a solid effort two nights in a series. They haven't shown that they can do it yet, and this UND team will make it SO hard for them to do so. If they win on Friday night...to get Lucia his 400th...they will get worked Saturday for the much anticipated split.

Prove me wrong?