SiouxSports.com Forum

Phil Jackson

GeauxSioux

Last night, the NBA honored Bill Fitch for its lifetime achievement award. Hard to believe that two of the greatest coaches of all time had their roots at UND.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2013/06/ex-rockets-coach-fitch-honored-with-lifetime-achievement-award/

Fitch said he still considers himself “a coach and a teacher.” He also is now in select company as the recipient of the National Basketball Coaches Association Chuck Daly Lifetime Achievement Award.

• 7 months later...

I don't even think Phil identifies ND anymore as his home place...its more Montana he talks about...

Phil was born in Montana and moved to Williston early childhood and graduated from WHS.

He now resides in Whitefish, MT

The gym building at Williston High School is named after him.. Phil Jackson Field House.

He has returned to Williston a number of times including his past two high school class reunions.

This summer he was asked and returned to Williston to act as the Master of Ceremonies for the Babe Ruth World Series.

He was very gracious and gave a inspiring talk to the young baseball players at the Opening Ceremony banquet.

So I would say he has not lost his fondness for ND

I figured that would happen

Hes probably top ten und wealthy alumni and has he given a cent?

Do you know for a fact he has not given to UND? I do know he has given to Williston High School through anonymous donations. Not everyone wants their name in the spotlight when it comes to giving donations.

Do you know for a fact he has not given to UND? I do know he has given to Williston High School through anonymous donations. Not everyone wants their name in the spotlight when it comes to giving donations.

He was given an honorary doctorate...I don't think that was "free".