SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Awards- Who do you pick?

yzerman19

Fair enough as I have only seen a handful of his games on TV this season...then he just isn't as good as we all think then. At some point his supposed talent and actual number produced need to match up. If he plays hard and his talent is the best in the WCHA his production should be near the top of the league and it isn't.

Don't get me wrong, he's had a slightly disappointing season production wise but I don't think it's lack of effort by any means. 20 goals is pretty good but I thought coming into the season he might have a Vanek or Ryan Potulny type goal scoring season. Much like Knight though points don't tell the whole story. He wins face-offs and is responsible defensively. He certainly hasn't earned first team honors though, I agree with that.

Fair enough as I have only seen a handful of his games on TV this season...then he just isn't as good as we all think then. At some point his supposed talent and actual numbers produced need to match up. If he plays hard and his talent is the best in the WCHA his production should be near the top of the league and it isn't.

Kyle Rau is only a career point-per-game player because of Nick Bjugstad. If you watch the Gophers play, Bjugstad clearly stands out as the most dominate player on the team. When he goes into the corner to get a puck 95% of the time he comes out with it and makes the defender look like a child. He didn't put enough points up this season to be on the first team, but he needs to be on everyone's ballot.

Bugstad is an NHL player- skill, size, compete level. However, the WCHA awards are for league play only, not skill level, not all games played. Nick was tied for 26th in league points. He was behind several teammates including Rao, Haula, and Schmidt. He was tied with SCSU rookie Johnny Brodinski and several dmen: Boiven, Jensen....

I don't think anyone challenges his talent level and his ability to be a nice NHL power forward; I just don't think his production earns him a spot. If you throw out Archibald which seems a common approach, you are throwing out the player that scored the most goals in league play.

bugs tad had fewer points in league games than Rocco Grimaldi who isn't even a lock for all rookie team.

I appreciate that Nick brings more than points. He does, and he will be in the NHL because of it. I just don't think he had a good enough season to earn all WCHA considering the field.

Bugstad is an NHL player- skill, size, compete level. However, the WCHA awards are for league play only, not skill level, not all games played. Nick was tied for 26th in league points. He was behind several teammates including Rao, Haula, and Schmidt. He was tied with SCSU rookie Johnny Brodinski and several dmen: Boiven, Jensen....

I don't think anyone challenges his talent level and his ability to be a nice NHL power forward; I just don't think his production earns him a spot. If you throw out Archibald which seems a common approach, you are throwing out the player that scored the most goals in league play.

bugs tad had fewer points in league games than Rocco Grimaldi who isn't even a lock for all rookie team.

I appreciate that Nick brings more than points. He does, and he will be in the NHL because of it. I just don't think he had a good enough season to earn all WCHA considering the field.

Fair post. He's 6th in the league for goal scoring though which I do believe should at least get him third team especially when you consider his overall game.

Fair post. He's 6th in the league for goal scoring though which I do believe should at least get him third team especially when you consider his overall game.

My biggest problem with Bjugstad is that so much of his production comes with the man advantage. He only scored 6 even strength goals, and only 4 even strength assists. Now, he's probably one of the best players in the conference with the man advantage, and I would love to have him on my team. I just couldn't justify putting him on any of the three teams with only 10 even strength points in a full season.

That being said, I think there is a very strong chance that he does get on one of the teams (probably not first) based largely on his reputation. It happened with Genoway a few years ago, so it isn't unprecedented.

• Upvote 1

To be fair, that wasn't Goon that posted those picks. Those were from a blog contributer.

This is what was written at the top of the page. Looks to me like he posted them. Either way, they are his picks.

"The Fan Bloggers from around the WCHA had their own vote on the players and this is my ballot that I submitted for the Second Annual 2012-13 Blogger/Website All-WCHA Awards Poll, that is put on by A Tradition of Excellence Blog."

I can appreciate your position, he is 6th in goal scoring, but guys like Knight, Schwartz, and Leblanc also have intangibles and racked up massive assist numbers resulting in 50% more scoring production.

If the awards were to be given to the most talented players on the ice, then I think Bjugstad is first team. If the awards are given on how great your season was, then I think he misses- now with the Minny bias, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the second team.

Kristo deserves first team hands down, don't know how anyone argues otherwise. He's #3 in points per game, number 2 in goal scoring, tied for 2nd in points, tied for 1st in even strength goals, tied for 1st in shorties.

Just checked out Goon's picks. Williams and Wilcox first and second team goalies(both rookies) but yet Gothberg is the goalie on the all rookie team?

So what? They’re already first and second team, isn’t that good enough for you? That’s right; I already put them on first and second team. In my opinion, Zane Gothberg's numbers have been light's out during the latter part of the season and he's been awarded defensive player of the week three times, that pretty friggen good if you ask me.

So what? They’re already first and second team, isn’t that good enough for you? That’s right; I already put them on first and second team. In my opinion, Zane Gothberg's numbers have been light's out during the latter part of the season and he's been awarded defensive player of the week three times, that pretty friggen good if you ask me.

Dude it's not complicated, your picks simply dont make sense. Your opinion is that the two best goalies in the league are rookies yet you put NEITHER on the all rookie team. It's a homer selection with no basis in reality.

Dude it's not complicated, your picks simply dont make sense. Your opinion is that the two best goalies in the league are rookies yet you put NEITHER on the all rookie team. It's a homer selection with no basis in reality.

Did you flunk english? Does the fact that your goalie made second team not satisfy you. If I was such a homer I would have made Rocco Grimaldi Rookie of they Year, Corban Knight Player of the Year and Hakstol Coach of the year.

Did you flunk english? Does the fact that your goalie made second team not satisfy you. If I was such a homer I would have made Rocco Grimaldi Rookie of they Year, Corban Knight Player of the Year and Hakstol Coach of the year.

I see what you are both saying.

1) By giving the other two goalies 1st and 2nd team awards, why bother giving them goalie on the rookie team. Spread some of the love.

2) The fact that they got 1st or 2nd team shouldn't keep either of them from getting the rookie team goaltending position. (This is how I feel) Just because you get one award, doesn't mean you don't deserve the other.

I will say that Gothberg has stepped up his game of late and has received several weekly honors. Still don't think he is the rookie team goalie.

Nevermind you just don't get it. If you honestly can't see why your picks are illogical then I can't help you.

First Team

Ryan Walters

Drew LeBlanc

Danny Kristo

Nate Schmidt

Nick Jensen

Stephon Williams

Second Team

Corban Knight

Erik Haula

Rylan Schwartz

Joey LaLeggia