SiouxSports.com Forum

impact of new conference on TV broadcast

Anderson2200

For a NCHC doubleheader to work, game 1 will have to be at either Miami or WMU, and game 2 will have to be at either Denver or CC. If UND is playing at home on a doubleheader night, I believe it would be the first time since the new REA opened that a home game would not be televised.

For a NCHC doubleheader to work, game 1 will have to be at either Miami or WMU, and game 2 will have to be at either Denver or CC. If UND is playing at home on a doubleheader night, I believe it would be the first time since the new REA opened that a home game would not be televised.

It's TV, they'll accommodate the start time to fit in with the schedule. Same way Minnesota had a game start at 8 this year because of BTN.

Did a little digging around. Here's a news story from a couple of weeks ago with some quotes from CBS Sports president Sean McManus.

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/bowl-414012-cbs-super.html

"(Second is) hoping to get the attention of distributors around the country who many not be clearing the Sports Network right now. We're in over 50 million homes; we'd like to be in 90 million homes. The fact that we're spending and investing in this kind of programming is really a signal to the distributors that we're serious."

Folks,

Beyond what I've just outlined above, I don't really have anything new to tell you that I haven't already previously posted, ad nauseum. Southpaw has tried to provide a very well-informed voice of reason throughout this discussion as far as how television works, and I suggest you give careful consideration to his posts. He knows of what he speaks in the field.

UND is but one voice in a league of eight. You are greatly overestimating the UND hockey market if you believe we could have strong-armed any legitimate conference -- including the NCHC -- on this matter. That is not how it works in college athletics when it comes to conference affiliation and broadcast rights. Not in 2013.

Would we prefer to have kept our national broadcast footprint? Of course, but it simply wasn't an option. It's naive for anyone to suggest we didn't do all we could to maintain that footprint. However, at the end of the day, every single UND home game WILL be available to our fans, either in high definition television or high definition webcast. Repeat: every single home game. We intend to make the best of the situation, and that includes upgrading to HD webcasts. Can we make every home game available to our fans on television? Unfortunately, no, not at this time. But can we make every home game available to our fans in some form or fashion? Yes. And with today's technology, running a HD webcast from your laptop to your flat screen television will still be a significant upgrade over the standard definition games you are seeing on your TV screens this year.

I would also like to again echo what a small handful of fans have posted in this same discussion: what the TV situation looks like on Feb. 13, 2013, could end up looking drastically different six months from now. Or a year from now. Is that a cryptic promise? No, but we will continue to explore all possibilities going forward. I've said that all along. Remember when so many bemoaned the Great West Conference as our home? That eventually turned into Big Sky Conference membership, and while I think we can all agree that turned out alright, it also took time and patience.

So what we are again asking for is a little patience and a little bit of foresight to let the situation play out.

If this is the case then what the heck. Thank you Jayson for taking time out of your day to post here. Here is one more small question. Will we be able to get the feed from America One or will we have to go through UND? Hey at least it is a question that has not been asked before.

you have got to admite jayson that its hard to be patience when your telling us home games wont be on tv on cbs doubleheader nights. that sounds redicuclous...

it couulb be Miami vs maine and Denver vs BU and there would eb no UND vs UNO on tv.... sounds dumb if you ask me.

Am I asking you to refrain from calling for someone's firing over broadcasts that are at least eight months away from even taking place? Yeah, I guess am.

You're parsing the facts here. I just told you that I would suspect at least 1-2 of those doubleheaders will include UND. That means 1-2 will not, which means watching 1-2 additional games via webcast.

Maybe it will help the cause (I doubt it) if I try speaking to you as a fan, not as an administrator, for a moment. It's known by many that I am a die-hard CFL fan. Before moving to the U.S., I had the luxury of watching nearly every CFL game of my choice on television. Now that I live in the U.S., television is no longer an option for me when it comes to watching the CFL. I either run my laptop to my TV and watch via webcast or, more recently, via ESPN3 on the ol' Xbox. And in all honesty, it has not lessened my enjoyment of the product one bit. I've certainly never demanded someone be fired because of it.

I'm not trying to speak for all of you. Or any of you. And I'm not trying to blow smoke up your you-know-whats. I'm only speaking from my own experience. I can still watch every Saskatchewan Roughriders game my heart so desires. Except now, it involves an extra cord. If NBC Sports against broadcasts a handful of CFL games next year, then my first choice will be to watch it on the television. And if it doesn't, I know I can at least still watch via other means.

If this is the case then what the heck. Thank you Jayson for taking time out of your day to post here. Here is one more small question. Will we be able to get the feed from America One or through will we have to go through UND? Hey at least it is a question that has not been asked before.

Webcasts of our home games would continue to be available with a UND Insider subscription at UNDSports.com.

One thing I thought of with that Friday night double header. Either WM or Miami will have to start early and us late to make it work. Or we will have to start real early and Denver/CC will have to start late. What I am thinking is that WM/Miami would start at 6:00 EST and UND at 8:00 if not 8:30 CST. Or WM/Miami start at 7:00 EST and Denver/CC 8:00MST. Or UND would have to start at 5:00 or 5:30. Like that is going to fly real well. It is the only way it would work. Furthermore that is not talking into consideration any pregame show. Problem there is the pregame show if UND was the second game there is no way it could fit in. This then leads me to believe that the only way UND will be part of a double header will be away games at either WM, Miami, CC, or Denver. Same thing can be said for St. Cloud, Duluth or Omaha.

One thing I thought of with that Friday night double header. Either WM or Miami will have to start early and us late to make it work. Or we will have to start real early and Denver/CC will have to start late. What I am thinking is that WM/Miami would start at 6:00 EST and UND at 8:00 if not 8:30 CST. Or WM/Miami start at 7:00 EST and Denver/CC 8:00MST. Or UND would have to start at 5:00 or 5:30. Like that is going to fly real well. It is the only way it would work. Furthermore that is not talking into consideration any pregame show. Problem there is the pregame show if UND was the second game there is no way it could fit in. This then leads me to believe that the only way UND will be part of a double header will be away games at either WM, Miami, CC, or Denver. Same thing can be said for St. Cloud, Duluth or Omaha.

At least the away games will be available if this is the case... Just sayin'

So how many byes are there going to be in a season and I hope that our byes will be on the double header nights that we are not on. :whistling:

Jayson, does the regional aspect mean that we will not see the games in Mandan? What is considered regional?

Midco subscribers. I would assume they can also continue to redistribute to local affiliates, but I should probably at that to the list of Things I Need To Find Out For Sure.

Midco subscribers. I would assume they can also continue to redistribute to local affiliates, but I should probably at that to the list of Things I Need To Find Out For Sure.

I would hope local means ND since it is the University of ND, but not holding my breath on that one. But this to me would make sense.

I recently watched a UND hockey game through my ps3 via und insider. It certainly did lessen my enjoyment! They need not only upgrade the cameras but also the server. Football via the web is one thing, but remember hockey is a whole different animal. That and to watch it you have to pay for every game. Seasons like a hundred bucks!?