SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs UMKC 12/5

SWSiouxMN

Despite one of their better efforts on the road, a Chad White contested 3 pointer would steal the game for SDSU. Now after a long road trip, these guys finally get to come home and take on the UMKC Kangaroos on Wednesday at the Betty. Tip off is at 7:05 PM

MEDIA FOR THE GAME

The game will be on MIDCO Sports here in GF, and it will be also on Big Sky TV for those who want to watch nationally. The game will also be on the radio on 100.3FM.

HISTORY

History has not been kind to UND in this series as they match up for the 5th time in these schools history. UMKC has a 3-1 lead in the series. Last year down in KC, UND was downed 78-75 to the Roos, as they hit the long ball at will against UND. Brekke was our leading scorer with 20, and Huff backed him up with 15 (althought he will more than likely be out still with his jaw, but it sounds like sometime this week he will get the wires out and he sounds happy that he will get to talk again lol!). UMKC was led by Reggie Chamberland with 20 (graduated) and Trinity Hall chipped in 18.

ABOUT THE UMKC KANGAROOS (3-4 1-1 Summit)

The Roos are coached by Matt Brown (5th Season). The Roos were picked to be 7th in the Summit Leauge ahead of USD and Omaha. This last weekend they started their Summit League Schedule with a couple of surpise results. On Thursday Night they took down IUPUI (picked 5th in the Summit) 79-65. They shot 53.4% out on the field, and had 7 blockes. Then played halfway decent against Western Illinos (picked 4th) but fell 68-63. What I am trying to say is that they have a couple of nice pieces on a veteran returning squad. They will be better than their 10-21 (4-14) last year, but how much will be determined throughout the Summit League play. If these guys play to their potential, they might have a chance to climb a few spots in the standings. I think they are still a year away from making any serious moves (i.e: top tier of the Summit)

STATS COMPARISON

UND UMKC

PPG: 64.4 63.4

RPG: 34.8 33.1

APG: 11.8 10.6

FG%: .396 .421

3P%: .347 .339

FT%: .735 .664

KEY PLAYERS

#44 6-7 F-C Kirk Korver Jr (10.1 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 93.3 FT%, 44.8 3P%)

For you guys who actually watch the NBA, this is the youngest brother of NBA sharpshooter Kyle Korver. Like all of his brothers, he is a very good 3 point shooter. Other than the fact of shooting, he doesn't seem to get to the line a lot (although he is 15-16), he doesn't seem to pad the other stats quite well. The last time he played against us though he got 9 rebounds. Would help to try and keep this kid cold if possible

#11 6-1 G Estan Tyler So (9.1 PPG, 4.0 APG, 93.8 FT%, 42.9 3P%)

Another solid player, but like a lot of young point guards he is still very wild. While he does lead the team in assists, he also leads the teams in turnovers as well. After a solid start to his Sophomore campaign, he has started to struggle in shooting and has turned over the ball at a more consistent rate. He will want to get back on track soon before the heat of the conference play gets going next month. Has all the tools to be one of the better guards UMKC has had in a while. He does love to drive a lot, so he is kinda like a taller Anderson but a streakier shooter. Very lethal from the line so far.

#21 6-9 F-C Fred Chatmon Jr (7.6 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 50.0 FG%, 40.7 FT%)

A kid that his getting a lot more time this year, and in his first Summit game took advantage with a 20-9 game. However, his next best scoring game is 9 at the beginning of the year. Why is he on here when if his ppg is very inflated. He is quite honestly their best rebounder. While he hasn't gotten a 10+ rebound game yet, he has had couple of 8, 9 rebound games. There is 1 big glaring weakness night now... he is Shaq at the line. We cannot let this guy kill us on the boards like he did against IUPUI, he got 7 Offensive Rebounds... 7!!! he almost outrebounded IUPUI in this department. Box him out.

KEYS TO THE GAME

1) Your focus is on UMKC, do NOT think ahead: The guys have done a pretty good job in building some momentum since the 2nd half of the Hawaii game. But this can all end pretty quickly with a lame duck performance against home. Take care of business and then you can think about NDSU.

2)Perimeter D will be very crucial in this game, we cannot let Tyler to drive on us all day and dish out to Korver and the gang. Have to bring out tight D like we did against SDSU and close out on shooters, limit the open looks people

3) Brekke: You are starting to break out a little bit finally after a slow start. This is where you had one of your better games last year and I think you can have your first real big game of the year. If he can get another similar performace (15+ Points, 8+ Rebounds), it will go along way.

4) Free throws: Although we have improved, we need to keep this as a trend not a blip.

5) Guards: Schuler you keep doing your thing, you have been Mr. Consistent so far. I look for Webb to come out on fire and start getting a few more dimes. I feel that Antwi and Anderson will have a solid game as well. Keep hitting your 3's boys!

6) Rebound: Lets kill these guys on the boards, we have had 2 even performances against decent to good rebounding teams. Keep that Chatmon kid from getting any O-Boards.

Great analysis once again. This will again be a very tough game. UMKC is playing very good ball right now and even though its on our home court we will need our A game for a win in this one. Are you sure about Huff getting his wires out this week? Its only been alittle over 2 weeks since his jaw was wired and I thought this process was generally 4+ weeks. Hope you are right but sounds way too soon.

Great analysis once again. This will again be a very tough game. UMKC is playing very good ball right now and even though its on our home court we will need our A game for a win in this one. Are you sure about Huff getting his wires out this week? Its only been alittle over 2 weeks since his jaw was wired and I thought this process was generally 4+ weeks. Hope you are right but sounds way too soon.

Although I don't use it, I like to dip into twitter from time to time and decided to checked out his twitter page. He had a post saying he was sorry to the people who talk to him since he can't say anything, but in 1 week he won't be able to shut up. He send that last Wednesday.

I'm sure once Huff is cleared to play it will take a couple of games to get back into shape and the flow of the game. I'd say the coaches will bring him along at a pace based on how he feels and what kind of shape he is in both physically and his contribution to the team until he is full strength. I would think he has got to be weak sucking out of a straw for several weeks. I'm sure he is dying for a fat juicy cheeseburger or pizza.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure once Huff is cleared to play it will take a couple of games to get back into shape and the flow of the game. I'd say the coaches will bring him along at a pace based on how he feels and what kind of shape he is in both physically and his contribution to the team until he is full strength. I would think he has got to be weak sucking out of a straw for several weeks. I'm sure he is dying for a fat juicy cheeseburger or pizza.

I was going to say, his nutrition has to be very interesting right now.

Thanks for these write-ups! I am not aware of them being available anywhere else, including undsports.com or gfherald.com.

THANK YOU!

Thank you for the kind words. I figured I would start doing some sort of write ups. I try to include a little info about the team and players so we know who to look out for (and any fun facts). Since this is my first crack at this I hope to improve as the season goes along.

I try to get my information from any way I can. Since I am a bit of a basketball junkie I try and see (for free and legally of course) if I can watch the opponents play before they play us to look for these key players and how they played. Also helps to do a little stat analysis on the opponents to make sure I know what I am talking about.

Haven't seen the guys play at home yet this year (had a school related excuse to miss the Crown game) but will finally have my first chance to see them.

Thank you for the kind words. I figured I would start doing some sort of write ups. I try to include a little info about the team and players so we know who to look out for (and any fun facts). Since this is my first crack at this I hope to improve as the season goes along.

I try to get my information from any way I can. Since I am a bit of a basketball junkie I try and see (for free and legally of course) if I can watch the opponents play before they play us to look for these key players and how they played. Also helps to do a little stat analysis on the opponents to make sure I know what I am talking about.

Haven't seen the guys play at home yet this year (had a school related excuse to miss the Crown game) but will finally have my first chance to see them.

Keep it up, its awesome to read and gives us great info on our competition. Much appreciated.

yes, UM Kansas City UN Omaha and IP Fort Wayne are the ones that actually go by the cities they are named for.

as far as i can tell KC is having a down year.

I dont know if I would say they are having a down year. They are 3-4 with losses to Seton Hall, Ohio State, Western Illinois and Albany. They return 4 starters from a 10-21 season so you'd expect the win total to go way up from last year with 4 returning starters playing basically the same competition. They are a very dangerous team in my opionion.

That conference is a 3 man race.... Oakland, Fargo, and Brookings.

toss western in as a longshot

I dont know if I would say they are having a down year. They are 3-4 with losses to Seton Hall, Ohio State, Western Illinois and Albany. They return 4 starters from a 10-21 season so you'd expect the win total to go way up from last year with 4 returning starters playing basically the same competition. They are a very dangerous team in my opionion.

they lost to OSU by 46, seton Hall by 39, albany is a comparable (probably inferior, actually) team to sdsu or ndsu (lost by 3), and western illinois is nothing special(lost by 5). Aside from OSU, all these games were either at home or neutral site. Sagarin currently has them pegged at 301 of 347, better only than omaha out of the combined summit and big sky teams. A supposed contender in the big sky should pump these guys tonight, granted anything is possible.

toss western in as a longshot

they lost to OSU by 46, seton Hall by 39, albany is a comparable (probably inferior, actually) team to sdsu or ndsu (lost by 3), and western illinois is nothing special(lost by 5). Aside from OSU, all these games were either at home or neutral site. Sagarin currently has them pegged at 301 of 347, better only than omaha out of the combined summit and big sky teams. A supposed contender in the big sky should pump these guys tonight, granted anything is possible.

Are you talking about Macomb University?

Are you talking about Macomb University?

nope, western illinois.

I however continue to be amazed by the pettiness around here. I mean, people do know that the only schools referred to by the city they are in are the schools that are named after the city they are in, right?

nope, western illinois.

I however continue to be amazed by the pettiness around here. I mean, people do know that the only schools referred to by the city they are in are the schools that are named after the city they are in, right?

You stop at nothing to stick up for the Summit and MVFC. You know more about those conferences than any "UND" fan on here. Oh wait, you are neutral and like both teams.

Lighten up a little and have some fun with it.

• Upvote 2

Are you referring to the Summit league or United States Hockey League? You have to be specific, both use the same branding strategy.

• Upvote 1