SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Hawaii 11/20

SWSiouxMN

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just have to wonder how this game may have been different if Huff and Nash were playing.

So true. My how the tune of the Hawaii Play-by-Play and color guys changed in the second half. It was amusing to listen to them go from smoking and joking mode to Ok-this-is-serious-now mode.

I knew I should have stayed up and watched this game. Well, for one thing it proves by our performance in the 2nd half we can play with anybody. At this point all I can do is read what was said and look at the stats. First question, why is Webb shooting so much? He has only 2 shots, a layup and a 30 foot set shot. There is absolutely nothing in between. He handles the ball great but I believe he needs to be more of a true point guard and penetrate and if the lay up is not there dish it. What was up with Wilmer starting? Glad to see the boys brought it back in the 2nd half and hopefully this carries over for the rest of this difficult non conference schedule.

I'm not sure why Wilmer started. I assume it had something to do with attempting to limit fouls on our post players which has been a problem. Wilmer, Brekke, Archer, and Traylor all rotated in out quite often.

Traylor did not play much if at all in the second half though, and I don't recall hearing Benton's name called once all night.

I'm not sure why Wilmer started. I assume it had something to do with attempting to limit fouls on our post players which has been a problem. Wilmer, Brekke, Archer, and Traylor all rotated in out quite often.

Traylor did not play much if at all in the second half though, and I don't recall hearing Benton's name called once all night.

I dont honestly see Benton playing alot of minutes this year, especially when Huff returns. This is a very experienced lineup to crack. I was also confused as to why Traylor didnt play more. I really like his game from what I've seen so far.

Biggest reason why I though Wilmer started was I think with a bigger lineup (and yes foul trouble) they went with Wilmer, I didn't take too much of an issue with him starting. I thought he did a nice job with the minutes that he played.

Other notes from the game

The Bad:

-Stupid basketball plays: We cannot get away with setting so many illegal screens guys, I counted at least 4 of them in the game. Mr. Wilmer, when you see a shot that has no business going in, do not bail him out by blocking the shot, they will ring you up for a goaltend

-The Announcers: Can you say Homer???? I swear these guys were serious butt kissers. Felt like they gave us no chance, and their halftime comments of "why the heck are these guys not up by 30" really ticked me off. They did have a few nice things to say for us, but felt they were treating Hawaii like they were the second coming of Gonzaga

-1st Half: Was a disaster from the start. I thought this was going to be worse that UNI, could buy a bucket, doing stupid things on offense, defense was average, and that 9:00 drought was killing us

-Droughts: We need to stop getting these, it killed us against UNI, and really put us in a deep hole to start with.

-Traylor: He looked a little overwhelmed out there tonight, and with Brekke and Wilmer playing decent and halfway decent respectively and staying out of foul trouble, he really didn't see the court much.

-Officals: Bad on both sides, should have called a foul on the last 3, Anderson was mugged

-Last play: I wished Webb recognized that the baseline was not given and pulled out, and tried to not force it to Schuler. In his defense, he should have a foul called on him because he was being pushed out.

-Antwi: Just didn't have it tonight, reason why he is on this list. You need to make more than 1 out of 3 from the line when given the chance buddy.

The Good:

-2nd Half: Gotta give these guys credit for manning up and fighting back, they could have just gave up and let this got out of hand.

-Rebounding: If you told me that this undersized team would be dead even with Hawaii on the boards, I would have called you crazy. This was the one of 2 areas, with a few exceptions, they played a solid 40 minutes.

-Anderson and Brekke redeption: These guys were starting to get a little heat turned up on them for various reasons and last night they stepped up in a big way. Anderson didn't do much driving with the trees, just stayed out and buried some big time 3 pointers. Went 5/8 from downtown, but was robbed of a 6th when it rattled in and out. Brekke finally stayed out of foul trouble in a real game and responded with a solid 10 points and 7 boards. He make a couple good moves against Joaquin and nail 2 great jump shots.

-Schuler: Played very solid once again and continues to be our most consistent player from night to night. You can see he is starting to be a lot more aggressive

-Free Throws: Got to the line more, which was surprising, and they had another solid performace (15/20). Anderson and Schuler did their thing, but Wilmer and Brekke stepped up and knocked a few important ones down. Webb was ok as well.

Now this was a nice rally, but we need to play a 40 minute game if we are going to beat some of these schools and especially when we get to conference play. We need to build on this performance, because we are going into a hornets nest at Frost. The good news on that: we have 7 days to prep.

Biggest reason why I though Wilmer started was I think with a bigger lineup (and yes foul trouble) they went with Wilmer, I didn't take too much of an issue with him starting. I thought he did a nice job with the minutes that he played.

Other notes from the game

The Bad:

-Stupid basketball plays: We cannot get away with setting so many illegal screens guys, I counted at least 4 of them in the game. Mr. Wilmer, when you see a shot that has no business going in, do not bail him out by blocking the shot, they will ring you up for a goaltend

-The Announcers: Can you say Homer? ??? I swear these guys were serious butt kissers. Felt like they gave us no chance, and their halftime comments of "why the heck are these guys not up by 30" really ticked me off. They did have a few nice things to say for us, but felt they were treating Hawaii like they were the second coming of Gonzaga

-1st Half: Was a disaster from the start. I thought this was going to be worse that UNI, could buy a bucket, doing stupid things on offense, defense was average, and that 9:00 drought was killing us

-Droughts: We need to stop getting these, it killed us against UNI, and really put us in a deep hole to start with.

-Traylor: He looked a little overwhelmed out there tonight, and with Brekke and Wilmer playing decent and halfway decent respectively and staying out of foul trouble, he really didn't see the court much.

-Officals: Bad on both sides, should have called a foul on the last 3, Anderson was mugged

-Last play: I wished Webb recognized that the baseline was not given and pulled out, and tried to not force it to Schuler. In his defense, he should have a foul called on him because he was being pushed out.

-Antwi: Just didn't have it tonight, reason why he is on this list. You need to make more than 1 out of 3 from the line when given the chance buddy.

The Good:

-2nd Half: Gotta give these guys credit for manning up and fighting back, they could have just gave up and let this got out of hand.

-Rebounding: If you told me that this undersized team would be dead even with Hawaii on the boards, I would have called you crazy. This was the one of 2 areas, with a few exceptions, they played a solid 40 minutes.

-Anderson and Brekke redeption: These guys were starting to get a little heat turned up on them for various reasons and last night they stepped up in a big way. Anderson didn't do much driving with the trees, just stayed out and buried some big time 3 pointers. Went 5/8 from downtown, but was robbed of a 6th when it rattled in and out. Brekke finally stayed out of foul trouble in a real game and responded with a solid 10 points and 7 boards. He make a couple good moves against Joaquin and nail 2 great jump shots.

-Schuler: Played very solid once again and continues to be our most consistent player from night to night. You can see he is starting to be a lot more aggressive

-Free Throws: Got to the line more, which was surprising, and they had another solid performace (15/20). Anderson and Schuler did their thing, but Wilmer and Brekke stepped up and knocked a few important ones down. Webb was ok as well.

Now this was a nice rally, but we need to play a 40 minute game if we are going to beat some of these schools and especially when we get to conference play. We need to build on this performance, because we are going into a hornets nest at Frost. The good news on that: we have 7 days to prep.

This ^^^^ All of it.

What is the deal with all of the illegal screens? Does Jones just not understand something about the rules? Is it a difference of opinion on the rules between officials and Coach Jones? Are the players not understanding something fully? Are we tip-toeing to the edge of breaking the rule and sometimes slip over and get called?

One is a mistake. Twice is a coincidence. Three times is a trend. Four times is a breakdown in understanding at some level.