SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Hawaii 11/20

SWSiouxMN

ALOHA!!!!

UND is in the middle of a tough 3 game road swing as they leave cold, cold North Dakota to head out to beautiful Hawaii to take on the Warriors.

Game time is 11PM our time and will be on our usual radio station and there appears to be a free video viewing of the game at www.OCSports.tv

ABOUT THE HAWAII WARRIORS (3-1)

The Warriors are lead by coach Gib Arnold (4th season), who has done a wonderful job in turning a Hawaii program back into respectability, despite not having the greatest facilities in the world to draw the great recuits. Arnold has literally traveled the world and raided the JUCOs to get kids to come to Hawaii.

KEY PLAYERS

#15 C Vander Joaquim (6'10) SR (17.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 58.3% FT, 59.1% FG)

He is the best player on the team, and some people think he has skills to be in the NBA, (no joke). He is still recovering from a knee tear form last year. He finally played his first full game against Illinois last Saturday. He is a very aggressive rebounder and has gone for 20 and 10 the last two games. He has a couple good moves in the post and whenever he gets his position in the paint he is very hard to stop. He is also not afraid to throw it up from 15-18 feet, and can consistenly make the shot. He is also a good defender, always good for a block or two a game. He hasn't shot well from the line however.

#34 F Christian Standhardiner JR (16 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 68.2% FT, 45.1% FG)

The German is starting his first year at Hawaii after spending 2 years at Nebraska. He is a halfway decent shooter from the line, and really works to put up shots. He loves to crash on the o-boards

#21 F Hauns Brereton (6'6) SR (15 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 91.7% FT, 40.9% 3P)

This kid has a Big Sky background (played at UNC for the 2009-2010 season), another great marksman from behind the arch, but has struggled to find his touch the last 2 games. However, we need to keep him off the line, as he is 11/12 for the year. Like with the rest of the Hawaiian team he is a solid rebounder.

While they have a solid 4 players, the one issue they have right now is that only 7 players currently have significant minutes during the season. There is still a lot of newcomers that have not gotten a lot of minutes.

Keys to victory:

1. Limit these guys to 1 possession: Do Not let these guys crash the O-Boards. High school fundamentals: all 5 box out, someone get the ball

2. Get ready to get some rebounds and man-boards: These guys have killed every team on the boards, if we can make the battle of the boards close to even (within 5), that would be a major victory

3. Guards: You will get open looks, BURY THEM.

4. Brekke, Traylor, Allard, Wilmer, Archer: Stay out of foul trouble

5. Get them in foul trouble: Lets see if we can get into their depth a little and overwhelm them with our experience. Joaquim is due to have a game where he sit out a lot due to foul trouble. The sooner we can get him out, the better

6. Don't be afraid to run and gun: these guys do not play the best defense despite all of their height. get these guys in transition and get them running

I think we can give these guys a serious run.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawaii's top three scorers play down low. Of the keys you mentioned the biggest will be our bigs. They are bigger than us and sounds like almost every possession the ball goes down low. This could mean serious foul trouble for Brekke and others. I hope this is not the case but it definately concerns me. We must also have our sharp shooters hitting the shots. Cannot afford another poor shooting night. Its going to be another tough one for the boys but anything is possible.

Shooting wise, we are going to have to have numbers that was similar to our game against Crown. We also need to be wary about focusing on their bigs because they can light it up from 3 (not as well as UNI can).

From the traveling blog it sounds like all business. The coaching staff is encouraging players to stay up later to get used to the tim change.

This is a game where I wish we would have the services of Nash, he would be a HUGE help for our team. I would hope a decision comes soon so we can have him before SDSU or at least UMKC

This is a game where I wish we would have the services of Nash, he would be a HUGE help for our team. I would hope a decision comes soon so we can have him before SDSU or at least UMKC

Based on how the NCAA operates, I am going to go ahead and assume that we will be without his services for the season. More than a week into the season now, and still no decision. The longer it takes, makes me think it means bad news.

So of the 3 bigs we brought in this year to help this team where needed only 1 is playing, assuming Nash is not ruled eligible. On top of that Huff is out for 5-6 games to start a brutal nonconference schedule. Definately not the start to the season we were looking for. Of course, all that matters is the Big Sky and hopefully everything will come together by then.

Heard 5-6 games then heard 1-2 months. Its definately not game to game. Had his jaw wired shut several days ago. Heard more from the broadcast of the Northern Iowa game than from our own media.

So from what it sounds like, the earliest likely date for Huff to return would be the first conference game against SUU. Sound about right?

So from what it sounds like, the earliest likely date for Huff to return would be the first conference game against SUU. Sound about right?

Hopefully, Have no idea how long a person's mouth has to be wired for a break. I wonder how much weight and muscle tone he will lose during this process. I would think it would take serveral weeks after to get into game shape.