SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana game

geaux_sioux

Hate to credit anyone from the Ag school, but it's hard to ignore the job Bohl has done down South - he leads his team, is respected, and instills confidence.

Somewhat ironic that many Fargo fans were calling for Bohl's head after their first year in the Missouri Valley after their transition.........................

Somewhat ironic that many Fargo fans were calling for Bohl's head after their first year in the Missouri Valley after their transition.........................

Well that just demonstrates how stupid some NDSU fans are then....

*Bohl's record at NDSU after their first MVFC season (2003 - 2009, 7 seasons) was 52 - 25 (67.5%)

*Mussman's record at UND as head coach over half-way through the first Big Sky season is 26-24 (52%)

Does Mussman have a shot to turn this thing around? Yes

Will he be given a shot? Most likely, Yes

Does he do it? I don't know, but he will have to make some changes to both players and coaches in order for it to happen...oh, and also his coaching style

I can tell things have "calmed down" in Missoula as there are no Griz fans here telling everyone they think North Dakota (as a state) sucks.

I have relatives in North Dakota and Montana both. I love both states for completely different reasons. But my Montana relatives and a lot of people I've met there can't seem to go more than a day without a derogatory comment about ND. I've never understood the reasoning behind it?

Quite a few Griz posters are top notch folks. Give em a beer in Grand Forks and you will get paid back in Missoula. They aren't joking about that. Their tailgate is a great spectacle.

Well that just demonstrates how stupid some NDSU fans are then....

*Bohl's record at NDSU after their first MVFC season (2003 - 2009, 7 seasons) was 52 - 25 (67.5%)

*Mussman's record at UND as head coach over half-way through the first Big Sky season is 26-24 (52%)

Does Mussman have a shot to turn this thing around? Yes

Will he be given a shot? Most likely, Yes

Does he do it? I don't know, but he will have to make some changes to both players and coaches in order for it to happen...oh, and also his coaching style

My point is, I don't think Mussman should be judged only on this particular season. The losses are to an FBS team and 3 Top 25 FCS teams, two of which could have gone either way.

IMO, the jury is still out on Mussman.

........... my Montana relatives and a lot of people I've met there can't seem to go more than a day without a derogatory comment about ND. I've never understood the reasoning behind it?

Well, North Dakot is quite windy due to the fact that Minnesota sucks and Montana blows....................................

• Upvote 2

My point is, I don't think Mussman should be judged only on this particular season. The losses are to an FBS team and 3 Top 25 FCS teams, two of which could have gone either way.

IMO, the jury is still out on Mussman.

Muss unfortunately was judged by Faison on one particular season which was last season...which was a mirage in the total body of his work with a pathetically easy schedule to boot.

The jury is in...Muss isn't a HC at this level. The rest of this season will bear that out...as will next season...and the next season.

• Upvote 1

Maybe this is just a learning experience. Even good teams out of the GWFC (NDSU) struggled early in a "real" conference. We do need major improvements on defense in the offseason whether its getting rid of Mannausau or not something has to change before playing Valpo in September.

This is true......the move from the Great West to the Mo Valley was a shocker as to how brutal the schedule was. UND is seeing the same in the transition to the Big Sky.

Yeah, yeah, we get it........................ you can't stand Mussman.

Did I miss anything else?

Oh ya, you missed this...maybe some of this FB program mess falls on Faison's shoulders? Just another thought.

Something has to change...the hype of entering the Big Sky won't last beyond this season if UND goes 5-6, which is how I see it shaking out, and nothing changes within the program itself. Remember all the empty seats at the Fargodome prior to Bohl taking over...and Fargo is a 'SU FB town. They don't have hockey.

People want to complain that UND is all about hockey...then have someone within the university do something to change that perception. Unfortunately this FB season won't change that perception about hockey.

BTW...I do have UND beating the Griz.

I think I get it all. Mussman sucks and so does Faison. And NDSU is a joke because they have agriculture programs. Anything else?

Nothing else...even if I drew you a picture explaining things you wouldn't get it.

Answer me this...on a scale of 1-10...10 being euphoric...where are you on this FB program/Muss as it stands today taking in account the whole body of work to date under him??

Fair enough. I think we both want to see this FB program take off and become something that has the buzz of the hockey program How that eventually happens and who gets us there, I think we see differently and we can agree to disagree on how that might come about.

Fair enough. I think we both want to see this FB program take off and become something that has the buzz of the hockey program How that eventually happens and who gets us there, I think we see differently and we can agree to disagree on how that might come about.

Answer. A Mike Tomlin type coach. With a dc like bubba.

Everyone needs to calm down. Yes we had high hopes going into this season. But everyone that looked at our schedule said that it was probably the toughest in the Big Sky. Did anyone really think that we were going to walk into this conference and go 7-1, 6-2 in the conference? You can be optimistic, but I will be realistic.

The team has played bad defensively....we all know that. But as bad as we have looked tackling and covering receivers We have had a chance to win all our games except for the E. Wash. game. 3 of our loses (SDSU, Cal Poly, N. Ariz.) we have been within a score in the 4th quarter. And those were all good teams!! Top 20 FCS teams. So looking at the loses we have, if we would have been able to close out in the 4th quarter of those game, it would be a totally different outlook on this season.

Another point.....NDSU was crushing during their transition years before joining the Valley. They were 10-1 in 2006 and 2007 and ranked #1 in the nation. In 2008, they joined the Valley and were 6-5. the next year in 2009 they were 3-8. We all know the caliber of football they have down in Fargo. I will give them credit. But NDSU had teams that played in the Great West and were a 10 win team before they entered their new conference. And even they struggled out of the gate adjusting to their new conference, new teams, and new style of play.

My point is schools that enter a new, and much better, conference are going to have to take our lumps. this is not the Great West anymore. this is the Big Sky. So while I know that our expectation were high this year and everyone wants to start pointing fingers , lets just calm down and realize that it may take a few games to adapt and adjust to the style of play in our new conference. These teams are an a much higher level than what we are used to playing in years past. We have things that we are doing good, and there are things we need to improve on. Just want everyone to just RELAX and realize that this is a process. Not going to go from 3-8 in the Great West to being a top 3 Big Sky team in 2 years. The team will get better. Just lgive them a chance to.

• Upvote 1

Everyone needs to calm down. Yes we had high hopes going into this season. But everyone that looked at our schedule said that it was probably the toughest in the Big Sky. Did anyone really think that we were going to walk into this conference and go 7-1, 6-2 in the conference? You can be optimistic, but I will be realistic.

The team has played bad defensively....we all know that. But as bad as we have looked tackling and covering receivers We have had a chance to win all our games except for the E. Wash. game. 3 of our loses (SDSU, Cal Poly, N. Ariz.) we have been within a score in the 4th quarter. So looking at the loses we have, if we would have been able to close out in the 4th quarter of those game, it would be a totally different outlook on this season.

And if I would have hit those 2 15 footers for birdie and holed out from the fairway for eagle Sunday I would have shot 74 instead of 78!

I hear and get what you are saying, but UND is 3-4...it is what it is.

Last season's success was against a much softer schedule. Do you think we would have beat Sac State, Portland State, or been able to play with SDSU last year?

Sure. The past two years they've played very well vs FBS competition. I didn't expect that to change vs SDSU this year. As for Sac and Portland? Coming into this season I didn't exactly view them as Montana/Montana State. At Sac and Portland home didn't worry me a lot. Loseable if they didn't play well? Sure. But certainly winnable games.

Of course, no one knew then that the defense would be an abomination this year. Yes, the competition is much better. But this defense is HISTORICALLY bad. Bad as in, among the worst defenses in the country, bad. Can't win with that.

• Upvote 2

Another point.....NDSU was crushing during their transition years before joining the Valley. They were 10-1 in 2006 and 2007 and ranked #1 in the nation. In 2008, they joined the Valley and were 6-5. the next year in 2009 they were 3-8. We all know the caliber of football they have down in Fargo. I will give them credit. But NDSU had teams that played in the Great West and were a 10 win team before they entered their new conference. And even they struggled out of the gate adjusting to their new conference, new teams, and new style of play.

My point is schools that enter a new, and much better, conference are going to have to take our lumps. this is not the Great West anymore. this is the Big Sky. So while I know that our expectation were high this year and everyone wants to start pointing fingers , lets just calm down and realize that it may take a few games to adapt and adjust to the style of play in our new conference. These teams are an a much higher level than what we are used to playing in years past. We have things that we are doing good, and there are things we need to improve on. Just want everyone to just RELAX and realize that this is a process. Not going to go from 3-8 in the Great West to being a top 3 Big Sky team in 2 years. The team will get better. Just lgive them a chance to.

They will improve if the correct adjustments are made. That is what football coaching is all about - adjustments. After this season, Mussman needs to sit down and address the areas of this team that made for the losing season. If he doesn't, he isn't adjusting and losing will continue. I agree this thing can get turned around and we shouldn't be too impulsive, but this won't just fix itself.

Back to the game itself...I saw the Griz week 1 vs. the Yotes. I know that was awhile ago, but if UND can slow down their running game at all I see UND winning this one and possibly by double digits. I have know doubt Hanson plays better than last Saturday (provided he isn't out from the head to head shot). As UND-FB-FAN stated above, FB is about adjustments. The UND coaching staff knows the Griz are going to smash mouth the ball on the ground.