SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota vs Manitoba - gameday

AZSIOUX

I think it's all preference, and I don't see any huge difference between Hammer and Sweeney. Remember the days of Sweeney and Travis Dunn? I think this is an upgrade over those early years, and expect that things will get better once Hammer is around the program all the time like Sweeney had been. Tim Hennessey probably has more inside information than both of them combined, but people complain about him being too much of a homer.

• Upvote 2

I think it's all preference, and I don't see any huge difference between Hammer and Sweeney. Remember the days of Sweeney and Travis Dunn? I think this is an upgrade over those early years, and expect that things will get better once Hammer is around the program all the time like Sweeney had been. Tim Hennessey probably has more inside information than both of them combined, but people complain about him being too much of a homer.

I love homers, as long as they're our homers!
  • Upvote 1

I don't understand the urgency to throw Hammer under the bus after one game. For those of you complaining, I'm wondering if you also feel your boss should have evaluated you based on your first day on the job? Sweeney was just fine but if you went back and looked at his early years I don't remember him being a "Gary Thorne" behind the microphone. So, unless Gary is waiting in the wings to take the Sioux Hockey gig, I think we should all give it a rest for a year or two.

One request I would have Jason is.....once you get the beer prices lowered and senior discount in place, could you also do something about gas prices? In addition to that, it's been getting a little too cold in central Minnesota also. I realize that I might have to go to a higher authority than you for the weather issue, but some of us like to have things to complain about. :tinfoilhat:

If I canned a guy who was doing a good job and had strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders and replaced him with someone else, that someone else had better wow quickly or it would reflect poorly on me and my decision making. I would then need to either back the new guy all the way to make sure he is successful, or quickly reverse my decision.

The biggest difference from that analogy is that this is a different company, so in essence, the analogy is that we changed suppliers and we need to make sure our customers are satisfied. However, the product is SIoux hockey, not the play by play and color guys. It is more analogous to the steering wheel on a car- you don't change your opinion of the car or car company because they have a pedestrian steering wheel or you preferred the steering wheel of your old car.

I liked Sweeney better, but I will always watch SIoux hockey

edit- North Dakota hockey

If I canned a guy who was doing a good job and had strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders and replaced him with someone else, that someone else had better wow quickly or it would reflect poorly on me and my decision making. I would then need to either back the new guy all the way to make sure he is successful, or quickly reverse my decision.

The biggest difference from that analogy is that this is a different company, so in essence, the analogy is that we changed suppliers and we need to make sure our customers are satisfied. However, the product is SIoux hockey, not the play by play and color guys. It is more analogous to the steering wheel on a car- you don't change your opinion of the car or car company because they have a pedestrian steering wheel or you preferred the steering wheel of your old car.

I liked Sweeney better, but I will always watch SIoux hockey

edit- North Dakota Sioux hockey forever

Fixed your post :)

The games are on Channel 306 here in Fargo so I am delighted. I'd watch the fuzzy picture with rabbit ears if I had to.

Hammer does use cliches, always has. The "Kober" got a bit old and every shot "whistled wide of the net". Did anyone else hear Hammer say, "OH BABY, WHAT A PLAY!" after one of the goals? I found that ironic because that was always one of Jim Scalon's lines. Hammer's forte is play by play on the radio so sometimes he could cut out all the details and let the picture tell the story. I can say this - Dan is Sioux Hockey fan to the core and loves this program as much if not more than many of us who post here. I think you will see this passion come out in years to come.

That being said, I'm ok with the telecasts and the job Midco does. Katie O'Keefe knows UND hockey and has a good rapport. She fits the mold of a pretty face on the sidelines but I forgot how midwestern her accent was - certainly something that viewers outside the region will focus on; impossible not too. Koberinski will grow in his role as a color man - he will need to add some personality to the telecasts but in the first telecast, he had his moments.

While we are on the subject of production, I continue to be impressed with the "Through These Doors" segements. They are very well produced (better than the UND Sports Shows Midco does). These snipets add a human element to the team and that endures them to the fan base. They are splendid. The only thing I don't care for is the narration this year. Let's let the voice over stay out of the way and let the pictures tell the story. Don't tamper with a good thing.

The games are on Channel 306 here in Fargo so I am delighted. I'd watch the fuzzy picture with rabbit ears if I had to.

Hammer does use cliches, always has. The "Kober" got a bit old and every shot "whistled wide of the net". Did anyone else hear Hammer say, "OH BABY, WHAT A PLAY!" after one of the goals? I found that ironic because that was always one of Jim Scalon's lines. Hammer's forte is play by play on the radio so sometimes he could cut out all the details and let the picture tell the story. I can say this - Dan is Sioux Hockey fan to the core and loves this program as much if not more than many of us who post here. I think you will see this passion come out in years to come.

That being said, I'm ok with the telecasts and the job Midco does. Katie O'Keefe knows UND hockey and has a good rapport. She fits the mold of a pretty face on the sidelines but I forgot how midwestern her accent was - certainly something that viewers outside the region will focus on; impossible not too. Koberinski will grow in his role as a color man - he will need to add some personality to the telecasts but in the first telecast, he had his moments.

While we are on the subject of production, I continue to be impressed with the "Through These Doors" segements. They are very well produced (better than the UND Sports Shows Midco does). These snipets add a human element to the team and that endures them to the fan base. They are splendid. The only thing I don't care for is the narration this year. Let's let the voice over stay out of the way and let the pictures tell the story. Don't tamper with a good thing.

Is there a place where you can find the Through These Doors from this season? I searched on FightingSioux.com UNDSports.com and it looks like all of the Through These Doors appear. How do you just find this season's? Any tips?

Thanks.