SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Coaches Show

PCM

Disclaimer: This is a summary of the weekly Fighting Sioux Coaches how. It is NOT a verbatim transcript of the show. Comments by the show's hosts and the coaches are paraphrased to the best of the author's ability and are NOT direct quotes. This summary contains selected highlights from the show and is NOT a comprehensive account of all topics covered or discussed. This broadcast summary represents the interpretation of the author and is not associated in any manner with SiouxSports.com, the University of North Dakota or US College Hockey Online. This summary MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED without the written permission of the author.

Live from Lola's Authentic Northern Italian Restaurant in beautiful downtown Grand Forks. Tim Hennessy and Scott Swygman are the hosts with UND head coach Dean Blais.

TH opens the show noting that the Sioux hockey team is ranked number-one and has been for several weeks.

He then asked Blais about the hockey gladiators event that

Edited by PCM

Nice job as always, Pat. Glad to have you back in action...

I second that.....yes, it's nice to have you back Pat. It was good to have some good backups for Pat last week, but you never really replace a first liner, All-American, Hobey reporter like Pat. Because of the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act), we'll probably never know the full extent of Pat's injury. I've heard reports that it was an illness, but I believe that is just a cover. They didn't want to disclose the seriousness, or the location, of the injury. Now don't go saying that I'm suggesting the other writers would have gone after the injured area. I don't think the UMD press would have done that. Now, if it would have been the Gopher series, it would have been a concern.

I saw where Sicatoka was questioning Pat's commitment....even went so far as to call him "soft". A real cheap shot in my book, Sicatoka. Let me tell you....I talked with Pat last Saturday morning during the morning skate. After sitting out on Friday night, you could tell he didn't want to miss the second game of the UMD series. He was flexing his wrist, and there were reports that Poolman was working on the elbow and shoulder area or his right arm.

There were other reports that the injury actually occurred several weeks before during the Gopher series, and that Pat played through the pain over the next few series. The story I heard was that Rachel Blount (StarTribune) might have caused the injury with a cheap shot to the groin area. I'm not sure if I believe this report because I personally saw Pat sprint from the press box area to section 306 during that Saturday night game. At the time, there were rumors that Sicatoka might have been in that area of the arena, so maybe Pat was "going after" him. That is also the area of the REA where they sell the Exploded Pig sandwich, so maybe Pat was just going to get one of those. Or maybe Virg sent him out to find some popcorn.

Anyway, enough speculation about Pat's injury. We're just happy to have him back in uniform. :silly:

Can't thank you enough PCM. As a Sioux fan in Minneapolis, your recap is something I really look forward to reading while I am taking a break working on my new hybrid of grass; it is a cross, ah, Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia!

Regards,

Carl Spackler

Bushwood Country Club - Maintenance

Can't thank you enough PCM. As a Sioux fan in Minneapolis, your recap is something I really look forward to reading while I am taking a break working on my new hybrid of grass; it is a cross, ah, Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia!

Regards,

Carl Spackler

Bushwood Country Club - Maintenance

lol :silly::blush:

I second that.....yes, it's nice to have you back Pat. It was good to have some good backups for Pat last week, but you never really replace a first liner, All-American, Hobey reporter like Pat. Because of the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act), we'll probably never know the full extent of Pat's injury. I've heard reports that it was an illness, but I believe that is just a cover. They didn't want to disclose the seriousness, or the location, of the injury. Now don't go saying that I'm suggesting the other writers would have gone after the injured area. I don't think the UMD press would have done that. Now, if it would have been the Gopher series, it would have been a concern.

I saw where Sicatoka was questioning Pat's commitment....even went so far as to call him "soft". A real cheap shot in my book, Sicatoka. Let me tell you....I talked with Pat last Saturday morning during the morning skate. After sitting out on Friday night, you could tell he didn't want to miss the second game of the UMD series. He was flexing his wrist, and there were reports that Poolman was working on the elbow and shoulder area or his right arm.

There were other reports that the injury actually occurred several weeks before during the Gopher series, and that Pat played through the pain over the next few series. The story I heard was that Rachel Blount (StarTribune) might have caused the injury with a cheap shot to the groin area. I'm not sure if I believe this report because I personally saw Pat sprint from the press box area to section 306 during that Saturday night game. At the time, there were rumors that Sicatoka might have been in that area of the arena, so maybe Pat was "going after" him. That is also the area of the REA where they sell the Exploded Pig sandwich, so maybe Pat was just going to get one of those. Or maybe Virg sent him out to find some popcorn.

Anyway, enough speculation about Pat's injury. We're just happy to have him back in uniform. :silly:

I have a friend who has a class with Pat's cousin's girlfriend who said Pat had knee injury.

I heard from and unnamed source high up that it was turf toe.

I know plenty a pressperson who has had their career ended early by a bad case of turf toe. Hopefully, Pat got it checked out early and took all the steps to ensure this injury does not hinder his future performance.

I think we all would be willing to go a week or two without Pat, as tough as it may be, in order to keep him in the long run. He's one of those guys you just can't replace. He brings a level of leadership into the press box that the younger guys feed off.

If he went down, I'd imagine some of the bigger guys would be right in there sticking up for Pat and showing the other press people who is boss.

Parise was out there with a strained MCL.

Pat? He was off getting treatment. Soft. :blush::silly:

And I even offered to jump onto his line to pick up some slack.

PS - HIPAA or not, I know what Pat's 'injury' was. Pooly couldn't have helped it.

PPS - That injury given by the STrib writer, could that be called a "Blount" force trauma?

Parise was out there with a strained MCL.

Pat? He was off getting treatment. Soft. :love: :love:

And I even offered to jump onto his line to pick up some slack.

PS - HIPAA or not, I know what Pat's 'injury' was. Pooly couldn't have helped it.

PPS - That injury given by the STrib writer, could that be called a "Blount" force trauma?

Strained MCL? That's nothing compared to the injuries that can happen in the pressbox. I mean, have you seen the new all-composite pencils these guys are using now. When one of those gets thrown across the pressbox some series damage can occur.

You know, there was a time when the little guy could compete out there. But even with the Olympic Pressbox at the new REA, it's getting more and more difficult for the "quick guys", like Pat, to compete. There's a lot of "clutch and grab" going on these days. From what I've seen, the SCSU and Gopher scribes are the worse offenders. I've seen Pat working on his quick transistion game, but it's hard when you have these guys draped all over you. :silly:

Sicatoka, you claim to have the inside scoop on his injury. Unless you can back up your claims, I suggest you lay off Pat. :blush:

There's so much misinformation regarding my injury that I feel I must set the record straight. As usual, Rick has the story partially right, probably because of the garbled transmission he receives on his cheap cell phone. My injury did occur during the series with Minnesota.

It's also true that I was on a popcorn mission for Virg between periods at the REA when the Sicatoka and I simultaneously went for the same pulled-pork sandwich. He saw that due to my longer reach and superior quickness, I would get the sandwich first. So he threw a vicious forearm to the side of my head that sent me crashing face-first into the highly polished Italian marble floor.

Someone told the Sicatoka that he couldn't do that, but he just smiled and said, "Hey, it's nothin' but a little face wash. It's legal in the WCHA."

Then he walked off with my sandwich, laughing all the way.

I staggered back to the press box, dazed, confused and with blood streaming from injuries suffered during my collision with the floor. Virg took one look at me and said, "Where's my popcorn?"

Seeing that I was disoriented, Rachel Blount of the Strib tried to take advantage of the situation by pulling my sweater over my head. She then wound up for a big kick. Knowing I was in trouble, I had the presence of mind to shout, "Look! It's Vanek on a breakaway!"

At that very moment, Doug Woog happened to be passing by. Both he and Rachel turned to look toward the ice, causing him to veer off course and her kick to go off target. Woog's groinal region absorbed the kick that was meant for me, thank Parise.

Believe me, when a television personality of Woog's magnitude goes down, it creates sheer pandemonium in the press box. That gave me time to grab some Subway napkins to clean up the blood from my head injuries. Despite a major headache, blurred vision and dizziness, I managed to make it through the game.

On Sunday, I was pretty sure that I had a concussion, so I called the clinic for an appointment with my doctor. But before I went to the doctor on Monday, I had to do a previously scheduled interview with Brandon Bochenski for USCHO.

Brandon immediately noticed all the swelling and bruising on my head and asked what happened to me. I explained that someone had given me a forearm to the head, claiming it was a WCHA-legal face-wash.

You know, there was a time when the little guy could compete out there. But even with the Olympic Pressbox at the new REA, it's getting more and more difficult for the "quick guys", like Pat, to compete. There's a lot of "clutch and grab" going on these days. From what I've seen, the SCSU and Gopher scribes are the worse offenders. I've seen Pat working on his quick transistion game, but it's hard when you have these guys draped all over you. :silly:

Maybe USCHO is going to have to get a "hard-nosed" reporter to go into the "press" box with Pat to give him a little "protection".

Come on Pat.

We're talking pork sandwich here. You know I wouldn't have thrown the elbow if you hadn't swung the stick, er, pencil, like a bat at me in line.

And you know I offered to "wear the badge" for you up in the press box too. Face washes are pretty-boy. Give me old-school. I'll get Wooger by the tie and re-enact 'Prpich-Peluso' all over him. :silly:

Nothing like coming home after a long day of work and laughing. I don't like laughing at serious injuries, but for you Pat I'll make an exception. :silly: And for Wooger as well. No wonder he's been saying crazier things than usual on his telecasts.

Can't you get in trouble for disclosing Woog's injury? :blush:

Nothing like coming home after a long day of work and laughing. I don't like laughing at serious injuries, but for you Pat I'll make an exception. :silly: And for Wooger as well. No wonder he's been saying crazier things than usual on his telecasts.

Can't you get in trouble for disclosing Woog's injury? :blush:

Woog is "too good" to participate in the health insurance plan that covers everyone else, therefore his injuries can be disclosed to the public.