SiouxSports.com Forum

captains suspended

theisdog

They are still kids, I believe that you have stated the same. As kids they still need guidance. They still need to learn. They still make mistakes. They don't know everything, even if they believe that they do. Isn't college supposed to be a place where they learn, where they are guided, where mistakes are corrected? If the answer to that question is yes, then you don't just "let kids be kids". You correct when you can and you help them learn lessons about life. They aren't going to completely stop making mistakes, none of us do. But it's a good thing if they can learn to cut down on the number of mistakes they make and the severity of those mistakes.

I always believed that college was the place where you could make huge mistakes and still recover. Everyone must choose their own way- dictating morality creates rules that make the rule makers feel better, but does nothing to change the behavior or mores of the intended miscreants.

I disagree that college is for personal guidance- for mistakes to be corrected; i believe it is the place to make them and have self-discovery- perhaps that is why we disagree on this topic?

I say make huge mistakes in college- learn all you can from them- and grow into a productive member of society.

... does UND hockey players getting insanely drunk 3 weeks before the season starts truly cause you concerns?

If, as speculated here, people needed medical attention, in a word, yes.

Alcohol usage has both acute and chronic deleterious effects on athletic performance.

http://espn.go.com/special/s/drugsandsports/alcohol.html

Who gets to set those expectations??? The moral authority of this board? It is the administration, and UND just had a record enrollment year- that enrollment and the $$ is the driver of all big decisions, and don't kid yourselves, that number is not due to outstanding academic achievement. UND now (wasn't always the case) has a reputation, especially in Metro Minnesota, as a fun party school with tuition reciprocity, with a great hockey team- that you can still get into if your grades and ACT scores don't get you into Madison or Minnesota, sorry to tell it like it is. Remember Matt Greene's great statement to Edmonton?

My posts began by stating that this isn't a big deal and the coaches are dealing with it. I have taken a harder stance due to the responses essentially calling these guys out as needing to get their heads adjusted. Ask yourself this, does UND hockey players getting insanely drunk 3 weeks before the season starts truly cause you concerns?

Flame away, but it is all the truth.

It's amazing that any UND graduate has ever accomplished anything of significance in this world, right? :silly:

Each of your posts are more ignorant than the last. I am a two-time graduate of UND and I am proud of that. And no, I didn't spend 80% of my time partying and getting drunk and getting a bunch of citations from the police. I used my opportunity to make something of myself. And a lot of students at UND do the same thing. But apparently, you are more concerned with stamping out the so-called "nanny state" that says drinking yourself almost to death is not a good thing. Your comments about UND as an academic institution are not only ignorant and stupid, but are very insulting to those of us that got a great education there. Based on all this garbage you have pumped out, I now must seriously question your loyalty to UND. ???

Flame away, but it is all the truth. :angry:

• Upvote 2

Who gets to set those expectations??? The moral authority of this board? It is the administration, and UND ...

Uh, you answered your own question right there. UND Administration is serving notice that the attitudes toward alcohol overconsumption must change.

• Upvote 2

It's amazing that any UND graduate has ever accomplished anything of significance in this world, right? :silly:

Each of your posts are more ignorant than the last. I am a two-time graduate of UND and I am proud of that. And no, I didn't spend 80% of my time partying and getting drunk and getting a bunch of citations from the police. I used my opportunity to make something of myself. And a lot of students at UND do the same thing. But apparently, you are more concerned with stamping out the so-called "nanny state" that says drinking yourself almost to death is not a good thing. Your comments about UND as an academic institution are not only ignorant and stupid, but are very insulting to those of us that got a great education there. Based on all this garbage you have pumped out, I now must seriously question your loyalty to UND. ???

Flame away, but it is all the truth. :angry:

Ignorance can be cured- here is my primary source for my statement

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-north-dakota-3005

University of North Dakota rank #170

University of Minnesota -TC rank #68

University of Wisconsin- Madison rank #41

By the way, this source is the primary source that those in academic administration use.

As stated, I am a Sioux hockey fan, not an all things UND fan. I do not wish the institution ill will, but I also see it through completely un-tinted glasses in terms of all things other than hockey.

Ignorance can be cured- here is my primary source for my statement

http://colleges.usne...rth-dakota-3005

University of North Dakota rank #170

University of Minnesota -TC rank #68

University of Wisconsin- Madison rank #41

By the way, this source is the primary source that those in academic administration use.

As stated, I am a Sioux hockey fan, not an all things UND fan. I do not wish the institution ill will, but I also see it through completely un-tinted glasses in terms of all things other than hockey.

Those college rankings should be taken with a block (not just a grain) of salt. And, FYI, UW-Madison is a notorious party school. But I am willing to bet that they also produce some outstanding professionals in a variety of fields, just as UND does. UND's reputation for producing well-prepared professionals is well-established in a number of fields (nursing, aviation, business, medicine, engineering, ect). But all you care about are some heavily subjective rankings in a weekly news magazine. To each their own.

Who gets to set those expectations??? The moral authority of this board? It is the administration, and UND just had a record enrollment year- that enrollment and the $$ is the driver of all big decisions, and don't kid yourselves, that number is not due to outstanding academic achievement. UND now (wasn't always the case) has a reputation, especially in Metro Minnesota, as a fun party school with tuition reciprocity, with a great hockey team- that you can still get into if your grades and ACT scores don't get you into Madison or Minnesota, sorry to tell it like it is. Remember Matt Greene's great statement to Edmonton?

My posts began by stating that this isn't a big deal and the coaches are dealing with it. I have taken a harder stance due to the responses essentially calling these guys out as needing to get their heads adjusted. Ask yourself this, does UND hockey players getting insanely drunk 3 weeks before the season starts truly cause you concerns?

Flame away, but it is all the truth.

So if we start giving free passes to underage hockey players getting drunk at house parties, can we also excuse the next big bash at the Theta Delta Sigma or Pi Kappa Chi house too (obviously fake fraternity names but you get the idea)? How about the kid in West Hall who gets busted by the RA sneaking a beer into the dorm?

• Weekly team alcohol education programs
  • Mandatory team community service program
  • The whole team is on probation
  • Suspensions to team leaders

You don't just get those kinds of punishments for a "normal party". These punishments are indications of a serious problem that needed to be addressed.

• Upvote 2

So if we start giving free passes to underage hockey players getting drunk at house parties, can we also excuse the next big bash at the Theta Delta Sigma or Pi Kappa Chi house too (obviously fake fraternity names but you get the idea)? How about the kid in the West Hall who gets busted by the RA sneaking a beer into the dorm?

I've never said that they shouldn't have suspensions or whatever else- my position is that people are making way too big a deal over this.

I've never said that they shouldn't have suspensions or whatever else- my position is that people are making way too big a deal over this.

And several of us think that you aren't making a big enough deal of this. Consumption of alcohol patterns have changed since you were in college. As someone mentioned, the goal for a lot of students now is to pass out, not just to drink and have fun. Binge drinking has become a bigger problem in college and for the general public in a lot of places. People are more apt to make bad decisions when under the influence of alcohol. Educating people about the dangers and teaching lessons are ways to fight that problem.
  • Upvote 2

Agree 100% that bad things can happen from drinking. Unsure about the surge in drinking to pass out- WTF? Why would anyone want to do that? Perhaps I am out of touch. I am willing to concede that.

When I was in school, you got drunk to unwind, to pass the time with friends, to do stupid things that you wouldn't do sober, and hopefully to go home with a pretty girl. Some guys liked to fight- I always thought that was dumb and for guys who were incapable of going home with a pretty girl.

You drank to be social, and if the social activities lasted long enough, you became drunk. Rarely did you pound the hard stuff. We stuck to beer. Which is probably a good lesson for the kiddies- I don't think that you can consume enough beer (based on amount of water and stomach capacity) to get alcohol poisoning from beer. You can get stupid drunk and make big mistakes, but I can't imagine drinking yourself comatose with beer.

College aged kids consume. (Hey, guilty as charged in my day.)

The behavior pattern of drinking to excess and possibly causing self-harm*, if happening, must be addressed and quashed. That's what my concern is.

*Blacking out due to intentional over-consumption is the definition of causing self-harm. You aren't supposed to intentionally shut down your own central nervous system.

Agree 100% that bad things can happen from drinking. Unsure about the surge in drinking to pass out- WTF? Why would anyone want to do that? Perhaps I am out of touch. I am willing to concede that.

When I was in school, you got drunk to unwind, to pass the time with friends, to do stupid things that you wouldn't do sober, and hopefully to go home with a pretty girl. Some guys liked to fight- I always thought that was dumb and for guys who were incapable of going home with a pretty girl.

You drank to be social, and if the social activities lasted long enough, you became drunk. Rarely did you pound the hard stuff. We stuck to beer. Which is probably a good lesson for the kiddies- I don't think that you can consume enough beer (based on amount of water and stomach capacity) to get alcohol poisoning from beer. You can get stupid drunk and make big mistakes, but I can't imagine drinking yourself comatose with beer.

Then there was you who got neither. All the bar fighters that I have known all ended up with great gals who still look good at 50. Most of the bar fighters I knew did not go home with pretty girls because they already had them.

Then there was you who got neither. All the bar fighters that I have known all ended up with great gals who still look good at 50. Most of the bar fighters I knew did not go home with pretty girls because they already had them.

You actually support bar fighting? Are you serious? You condone violence?

It seems I struck a raw nerve. Which usually means that I was right. You did not get the girl to go home with you.

No nerve struck, I am just really surprised by the pugilist approach is all. Violence is generally not accepted by normal people.

For the record, I not only got her to go home with me; I got her to marry me.

No nerve struck, I am just really surprised by the pugilist approach is all. Violence is generally not accepted by normal people.

For the record, I not only got her to go home with me; I got her to marry me.

You spun my comment from what I said into something different. How did you get her to follow you home? Pupperonies or some other treat.

Let's stop with the back and forth typed assaults, if you want to do that take it to PM's.

Yzerman19, I think you have been away from the college scene for way too long, as this is what some college kids do. They don't sit around and just drink beer anymore (I believe that's the way to go if you are going to drink), they are out there to get BOMBED fast because they think its funny. This is why people on the board are applauding the AD and Hak, as they saw a problem and they are working on fixing it. This issue is far from "boys will be boys", this issue is about protecting someone else's kids because they are not mature enough to make the right choices.

You spun my comment from what I said into something different. How did you get her to follow you home? Pupperonies or some other treat.

Pretty good, and might bother me if it had any merit- Now, just as in back in the day, I go to bed a happy man and wake up a happy man. I have no complaints about any aspects of my life- least of all the attractiveness of my wife. In fact, I am extremely lucky and very grateful for not only my personal gifts and talents, but also that I have been fortuitous enough to reap the benefits of them.

Let's stop with the back and forth typed assaults, if you want to do that take it to PM's.

Yzerman19, I think you have been away from the college scene for way too long, as this is what some college kids do. They don't sit around and just drink beer anymore (I believe that's the way to go if you are going to drink), they are out there to get BOMBED fast because they think its funny. This is why people on the board are applauding the AD and Hak, as they saw a problem and they are working on fixing it. This issue if far from "boys will be boys", this issue is about protecting someone else's kids because they are not mature enough to make the right choices.

Came out while I was responding.

I traded a note with someone about this surge in what I would characterize as mental health illness type drinking. I've been out of undergrad for 13 years- seems like things have changed