SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

I never bought into the postings here that said "This is a throw away year," or concerns about only having a couple of committments. Common sense and experience tells you there are plenty of quality student athletes out there who have no reason to make an early committment. Plus UND is a very nice campus and University with great facilities - it's biggest recruiting hurdle is probably the weather. it's not always about "Dah Football" sometimes it's about what area they want to study in (they have higher goals than being petition takers and late night Best Buy employees) or they have family ties to a school or region. Plus you never know the quality of a recruiting class until around their sophomore or even junior year - so it doesn't matter if they sign in October of January. As we all know there's no science, no guarantees when it comes to recruiting.

I'm hoping we can get back to enjoying the seasons and talking about the teams without questioning every decision the administration and coaches make in all sports. Perhaps I'm dreaming as there are always those who are smarter than the administration and the coaches.

• Upvote 3

I never bought into the postings here that said "This is a throw away year," or concerns about only having a couple of committments. Common sense and experience tells you there are plenty of quality student athletes out there who have no reason to make an early committment. Plus UND is a very nice campus and University with great facilities - it's biggest recruiting hurdle is probably the weather. it's not always about "Dah Football" sometimes it's about what area they want to study in (they have higher goals than being petition takers and late night Best Buy employees) or they have family ties to a school or region. Plus you never know the quality of a recruiting class until around their sophomore or even junior year - so it doesn't matter if they sign in October of January. As we all know there's no science, no guarantees when it comes to recruiting.

I'm hoping we can get back to enjoying the seasons and talking about the teams without questioning every decision the administration and coaches make in all sports. Perhaps I'm dreaming as there are always those who are smarter than the administration and the coaches.

Well said. While I don't believe it will be a home run class on paper, there are still a lot of good kids out there that UND will at least get a chance with. We'll just have to wait until everything plays out :)

New Longhorns Coach Charlie Strongs Players Code Of Conduct.

Strong and his coaches met with the team and outlined their expectations. He followed that with individual meetings with key players and 2014 seniors. The meeting was "very intense", but there was no yelling or drill sergeant act. No theater. Just a detailing of how things are going to be from now on. No one was thanked for being there. No one was patted on the back for being at Texas.

Strongs expectations:

Players will attend all of their classes and sit in the front two rows of all of their classes. GAs, academic folks, position coaches will be checking constantly now.

No headphones in class. No texting in class. Sit up and take notes.

If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don't want to run.

No earrings in the football building. No drugs. No stealing. No guns. Treat women with respect.

Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they're a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.

The team will all live together, eat together, suffer together, and hang out together. They will become a true team and learn to impose accountability on each other. The cliques are over.

There's no time for a rebuild. "I don't have time for that." The expectation is that Texas wins now.

Players will learn that they would rather practice than milk a minor injury.

The focus is on winning and graduating. Anything extraneous to that is a distraction and will be stamped out or removed.

Strong met individually with seniors and key leaders and re-emphasized that the plan is to win now. They can lead the new culture or be run over by it.

"I don't want to talk about things. I'd rather do things. We just talked. Now it's time to do."

Love it.

If feel like the culture not only had changed with the football program but on here as well. I don't hear as much complaining about scout/rivals ratings as we used to do, myself included. Maybe we all are just looking for reliable lunchpail type players instead of flash in the pan softies that will leave us high and dry at the first sign of adversity. I think it's refreshing and about time.

William Lyons is a DB from northern Nevada, prepped at Reed high school, graduate of 2013 class. Originally planned on attending Air Force(recruited by Jay Campbell) and had interest from San Jose state but did not have the grades. He's coming in now as a grey shirt. Pretty good all around athlete, played with my son. Holds a couple region and school records in track. Finalist for the 100 meters junior and senior year. Good kid. If he stays up with grades you'll be getting a really good player. Highlights below.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/717876/will-lyons

William Lyons is a DB from northern Nevada, prepped at Reed high school, graduate of 2013 class. Originally planned on attending Air Force(recruited by Jay Campbell) and had interest from San Jose state but did not have the grades. He's coming in now as a grey shirt. Pretty good all around athlete, played with my son. Holds a couple region and school records in track. Finalist for the 100 meters junior and senior year. Good kid. If he stays up with grades you'll be getting a really good player. Highlights below.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/717876/will-lyons

Grey shirt meaning apart of the program and eligible for the 2015 season?

http://www.hudl.com/...7876/will-lyons

Welcome to the board and thanks for the insight! I assume he is a CB rather than a safety? How did he happen to end up at UND?

Grey shirt meaning apart of the program and eligible for the 2015 season?

Greyshirts usually wait until the spring semester to enroll so they don't use any of their eligibility during the fall. Since it looks like he didn't play or attend any school during the fall, he would be eligible as a freshman this fall and still have 5 years to complete his four years of playing time.

Greyshirts usually wait until the spring semester to enroll so they don't use any of their eligibility during the fall. Since it looks like he didn't play or attend any school during the fall, he would be eligible as a freshman this fall and still have 5 years to complete his four years of playing time.

Thank you for the insight. I'm looking forward to seeing him play in the spring game.