SiouxSports.com Forum

GFK to DIA

GeauxSioux

Just in time for Big Sky....United Airlines to connect Grand Forks to Denver

United Airlines will add service between Grand Forks and Denver, according to an announcement by the office of North Dakota Gov. Jack Dalrymple on Wednesday.

“We’re absolutely thrilled that our hard work and the work of so many people, especially the flying passengers, that it looks like it’s coming to fruition,” said City Council President Hal Gershman, who is the chairman of the Airport Authority’s Air Service and Marketing Committee.

The airline will provide details on the frequency of the flights, schedules and the launch date for the added service soon, according to the governor’s statement.

Grand Forks International Airport offers daily flights between Grand Forks and Minneapolis on Delta and less frequent flights on Allegiant Air to Phoenix, Las Vegas and Orlando, Fla.

Frontier didn't bail on Fargo, Fargo's market suggested that the 74 seat turbo prop was the correct aircraft. Frontier's overlord Republic Holding does not like turbo props )just like delta hence all the reduction in service to places like devils lake jamestown, thief river) so they returned the aircraft to the leaser.

Yeah they did it for 500K in taxpayers money. How long will they stay after the 500K runs out? Will they bail like Frontier did to fargo after the 500K Fargo gave them ran out? There is no gain to having this flight at all. What a frickin waste of money.

Geez, sorry Debbie Downer!!!

Yeah they did it for 500K in taxpayers money. How long will they stay after the 500K runs out? Will they bail like Frontier did to fargo after the 500K Fargo gave them ran out? There is no gain to having this flight at all. What a frickin waste of money.

They'll stay if they are making money. Grand Forks is stealing a lot of passengers from Winnipeg and southern Manitoba. If they continue that trend United will make money and will be happy. This should cut travel time for people going west, which will be appealing to many people.

Frontier didn't bail on Fargo, Fargo's market suggested that the 74 seat turbo prop was the correct aircraft. Frontier's overlord Republic Holding does not like turbo props )just like delta hence all the reduction in service to places like devils lake jamestown, thief river) so they returned the aircraft to the leaser.

BS! That is why Frontier still flies the Q-400 then? They are quite a bit different than a Saab 340 flying under ESA contracts that is what Delta used them for. Besides the 340's were NWA's planes under lease and not a profitable plane to fly. Don't you think if the demand really was there that Delta would have started a SLC run or brought in 319s or an MD-80s series into GFK? GFK's growth is due solely to Allegiant and the Canadians who make up over 75% of the boardings out of GFK. I studied boardings for all 8 commercial airports in ND for a ten year period. Some even back as far as 30 years ago. GFK's growth started with Allegiant and has nothing to do with Delta. Are they even going to have to pay any rent?

Geez, sorry Debbie Downer!!!

Sorry to tell you this but I spent 2 1/2 years studying this issue for a master's thesis and that is why I say it is a waste of tax dollars. There is no evidence that fares will lower or that it really gets you out west any faster. The only places that you will get to quicker is some smaller places and then only if you catch the right bank of flights. Furthermore, there is no evidence that air service leads to economic growth.

They'll stay if they are making money. Grand Forks is stealing a lot of passengers from Winnipeg and southern Manitoba. If they continue that trend United will make money and will be happy. This should cut travel time for people going west, which will be appealing to many people.

Candians can also earn Air Canada miles on United so look for them to take advantage of that. Have to wonder how long it will take Delta to add a SLC flight like they did in Fargo, Bismarck, and a short time in Minot?

Candians can also earn Air Canada miles on United so look for them to take advantage of that. Have to wonder how long it will take Delta to add a SLC flight like they did in Fargo, Bismarck, and a short time in Minot?

They won't they keep reducing the service in GFK.

Sorry to tell you this but I spent 2 1/2 years studying this issue for a master's thesis and that is why I say it is a waste of tax dollars. There is no evidence that fares will lower or that it really gets you out west any faster. The only places that you will get to quicker is some smaller places and then only if you catch the right bank of flights. Furthermore, there is no evidence that air service leads to economic growth.

HOLY CRAP for a minute there I thought lomackman was back! :ohmy:

Remember him guys? And his "sources"?

I would rather see a flight to Detroit than Salt Lake. With SLC you can access to 30 destinations with one stop. Whereas with Detroit you get you get over 40 one stop destinations. Yes I actually did count them.