SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

I always believe that you roll lines versus stacking one line. I think this Sioux team could roll 3 scoring lines...

What if:

Scoring 1: Knight with Kristo and Chyzyk (Knight and Kristo make this line a legitimate top line regardless of who plays the other wing)

Scoring 2: Grimaldi with Parks and MacMIllan (keep the chemistry on the wings, insert Rocco)

Scoring 3: Rowney with O'Donnell and Rodwell (could be the best 3rd line in the league)

Energy: St Clair with Pattyn and Gleason (Pattyn and Gleason earned it last year, i think St Clair gets in)

D pairings:

Mac and Schmaltz

Forbert and Mattson

Panzo and Simpson

Well because, there is no way Rowney sits as a bottom six forward (only if he struggles to start the year). The guy was top 2-3 during the second half last year. He scored 18 goals last year (9 on the PP) and he was playing with two freshman. I also believe he had like 1-2 points before the first 15 games. You also don't put Grimaldi in a bottom 6 role. Hak knows all this...so I believe he'll keep both of them in a top 6 role. One will simply have to learn to play wing and I believe that will be Grimaldi as he is tiny.

Well because, there is no way Rowney sits as a bottom six forward (only if he struggles to start the year). The guy was top 2-3 during the second half last year. He scored 18 goals last year (9 on the PP) and he was playing with two freshman. I also believe he had like 1-2 points after the first 15 games. You also don't put Grimaldi in a bottom 6 role. Hak knows all this...so I believe he'll keep both of them in a top 6 role. One will simply have to learn to play wing and I believe that will be Grimaldi as he is tiny.

That is your opinion, but I will guarantee you that Grimaldi does not play wing.

Aside from development, If you move Grimaldi to wing so the top two lines are Knight with Kristo and Grimaldi and Rowney with MacMillan and Parks, you completely stack two lines and then have a big drop off. If I am coaching against that, I can match my top line and my checking line against those two lines, along with my top 4 defensemen, and then hope to get some bounces or a special teams battle to win.

If you have a physically mature, senior, 18 goal scorer on the third line, that causes me huge headaches- My bottom d-pairing and a second or third scoring line is going to have trouble with him. If you had the Forbert and Mattson D-pairing out with Rowney and O'Donnell, that is a very good offensive threat.

I could see Rocco centering the third line to start the year- get him comfortable and healthy.

Remember, you can have an excellent scoring line as long as you have two skill guys on it, especially if one is a center. You could've put me on the off-wing with Gretzky and Kurri and I would've produced.

That is your opinion, but I will guarantee you that Grimaldi does not play wing.

Aside from development, If you move Grimaldi to wing so the top two lines are Knight with Kristo and Grimaldi and Rowney with MacMillan and Parks, you completely stack two lines and then have a big drop off. If I am coaching against that, I can match my top line and my checking line against those two lines, along with my top 4 defensemen, and then hope to get some bounces or a special teams battle to win.

If you have a physically mature, senior, 18 goal scorer on the third line, that causes me huge headaches- My bottom d-pairing and a second or third scoring line is going to have trouble with him. If you had the Forbert and Mattson D-pairing out with Rowney and O'Donnell, that is a very good offensive threat.

I could see Rocco centering the third line to start the year- get him comfortable and healthy.

Remember, you can have an excellent scoring line as long as you have two skill guys on it, especially if one is a center. You could've put me on the off-wing with Gretzky and Kurri and I would've produced.

I agree with Grimaldi centering the third line to start the season. I have a feeling we might see O'Donnell on the top line to start the season. Keep the #2 line alone. Don't mess with a good thing. Then Rodwell and maybe St. Clair on the third line with Rocco. Gaarder, Pattyn, & pick a freshie to round out the fourth line.

I would start the year with this lineup

Kristo-Knight-Grimaldi

MA.MacMillan-Rowney-Parks

Cagilua-Rodwell-O’Donnell

Gaarder-Pattyn-Chyzk

Senkbeil-St.Clair-Sanderson-MI.MacMillan

Schmaltz-MacWilliam

Forbort-Mattson

Simpson-Gleason

Panzerella

Gothberg

Saunders

Maris

Kristo-Knight-Grimaldi

Gaarder-Pattyn-Chyzk

Schmaltz-MacWilliam

Forbort-Mattson

Simpson-Gleason

Panzerella

Gothberg

Saunders

Maris

Don't forget that Mitch MacMillan isn't eligible until 2nd semester.

Maybe....but name one tiny (and I mean tiny) center that ever played in the NHL. Because Rocco will get his shot at the NHL. It's too tough for little guys like that to win faceoffs against giants. By tiny, I mean the Gerbe's, St. Louis's, Blake's, Fleury's, etc. Guys under 5'8''.

Kristo-Knight-Grimaldi

Gaarder-Pattyn-Chyzk

Schmaltz-MacWilliam

Forbort-Mattson

Simpson-Gleason

Panzerella

Gothberg

Saunders

Maris

I really like this lineup....except St. Clair will move up to a third liner at some point during the season.

Maybe....but name one tiny (and I mean tiny) center that ever played in the NHL. Because Rocco will get his shot at the NHL. It's too tough for little guys like that to win faceoffs against giants. By tiny, I mean the Gerbe's, St. Louis's, Blake's, Fleury's, etc. Guys under 5'8''.

Where they may play in the future in a professional league isn't going to factor into where Hakstol plays them at the beginning of their career at UND. He will play them where he thinks they have the best chance to succeed at this level, and where it is best for the team. So Hak will decide where Grimaldi plays based on play during practice and the play of others on the team. That may very well be at center. His position may change in the future depending on the needs of the team and Grimaldi's development and development needs.

It is also important to call out that any center can play wing, not any wing can play center.

Parise played center both years at UND and switched it up in the NHL- Zach's not as small as Grimaldi, but he isn't a big guy either.

I also agree that Hak is not "concerned" about a position shift of a key player at the next level, but at the same time, in order to continue the great program and tradition, he does have to develop high draft picks into NHL players

I agree with Grimaldi centering the third line to start the season. I have a feeling we might see O'Donnell on the top line to start the season. Keep the #2 line alone. Don't mess with a good thing. Then Rodwell and maybe St. Clair on the third line with Rocco. Gaarder, Pattyn, & pick a freshie to round out the fourth line.

I've often pontificated about O'Donnell on that top line...it is a very realistic scenario.

I'd like to see Rocco "protected" with some more experienced offensive talent

Where they may play in the future in a professional league isn't going to factor into where Hakstol plays them at the beginning of their career at UND. He will play them where he thinks they have the best chance to succeed at this level, and where it is best for the team. So Hak will decide where Grimaldi plays based on play during practice and the play of others on the team. That may very well be at center. His position may change in the future depending on the needs of the team and Grimaldi's development and development needs.

Yes....obviosuly. I was talking about potential line-ups and why I think Grimaldi should play wing (this year), because our team is stacked but we need his skill set in the top 6.

It is also important to call out that any center can play wing, not any wing can play center.

Parise played center both years at UND and switched it up in the NHL- Zach's not as small as Grimaldi, but he isn't a big guy either.

I also agree that Hak is not "concerned" about a position shift of a key player at the next level, but at the same time, in order to continue the great program and tradition, he does have to develop high draft picks into NHL players

Actually he is....because his program is known for developing high quality NHL players...that is the sole attraction (besides the Ralph) of coming to UND for most players. But you kind of noted that in the second part of your post.

Actually he is....because his program is known for developing high quality NHL players...that is the sole attraction (besides the Ralph) of coming to UND for most players. But you kind of noted that in the second part of your post.

I'd also throw in- top end talented teammates and the opportunity to compete for a national championship every single year- as big reasons to choose UND

Living in a smaller college town where you're the biggest deal around also doesn't hurt

He's known for developing players because he knows what they need. Getting Grimaldi comfortable and settled in at a familiar position may be what he needs to start. The chances are that Grimaldi isn't going to the NHL after 1 year of college. Chances are pretty good that he will play wing at least part of his college career. But Hak isn't going to start him there just because it may be his eventual position at a higher level. Hak will start him where it is best for his development and for the team, whether that's at center or wing.

Kristo-Knight-Grimaldi

Gaarder-Pattyn-Chyzk

Schmaltz-MacWilliam

Forbort-Mattson

Simpson-Gleason

Panzerella

Gothberg

Saunders

Maris

Switch Rocco and O'Donnell and that's probably the way I'd start the season; still gives us 3 scoring lines and leaves the Rowney line intact. (Edit: Yzerman alluded to the O'Donnell to first line move in an earlier post).

Switch Rocco and O'Donnell and that's probably the way I'd start the season; still gives us 3 scoring lines and leaves the Rowney line intact.

I just think that Rocco needs to be surrounded by better offensive players- no offense to Rodwell or Caggiula, but Rocco is as talented offensively as say a Kristo...

He's known for developing players because he knows what they need. Getting Grimaldi comfortable and settled in at a familiar position may be what he needs to start. The chances are that Grimaldi isn't going to the NHL after 1 year of college. Chances are pretty good that he will play wing at least part of his college career. But Hak isn't going to start him there just because it may be his eventual position at a higher level. Hak will start him where it is best for his development and for the team, whether that's at center or wing.

I wasn't saying switch Rocco to wing solely because he is small and it would help his development immediately (however that may end up happening someday), I was speaking to the people who left him off the top line simply because they felt he is a "true" center and shouldn't play wing. I was speaking to those people that it wouldn't be farfetched to see him switch to wing to get his "first line offensive skill" on the first line. I was only saying that he belongs on the first line and I would like to see the Mac-Rowney-Parks line stick together, at least to start the season. He has more offensive skill than anyone else on the team (when healthly), hands down. That's why the Panthers drafted a 5'6'' 150 lb kid first pick in the 2nd round.

I wasn't saying switch Rocco to wing solely because he is small and it would help his development immediately (however that may end up happening someday), I was speaking to the people who left him off the top line simply because they felt he is a "true" center and shouldn't play wing. I was speaking to those people that it wouldn't be farfetched to see him switch to wing to get his "first line offensive skill" on the first line. I was only saying that he belongs on the first line and I would like to see the Mac-Rowney-Parks line stick together, at least to start the season. He has more offensive skill than anyone else on the team (when healthly), hands down. That's why the Panthers drafted a 5'6'' 150 lb kid first pick in the 2nd round.

And it wouldn't be farfetched to see him start the year as the center of the 3rd line. Hakstol has started talented freshman on the 3rd or 4th line at the beginning of their career if that's what works best. Even later in their career if he wants to shake things up. The thing to remember is that the lines are probably going to change quite a bit over the year. Guys get hurt, guys go into slumps, other guys start playing much better, and Hak will change things up to try and get better results. Most coaches will do that. Last year the lines didn't change as much toward the end of the season because everyone was playing or out hurt. But Hak will have a lot of players available, especially at the beginning of the season. So he will probably throw a lot of different combinations out on the ice to see what works and what doesn't. Trying to predict the lines right now is just an academic exercise, it probably won't have a lot of meaning in the real world.

And it wouldn't be farfetched to see him start the year as the center of the 3rd line. Hakstol has started talented freshman on the 3rd or 4th line at the beginning of their career if that's what works best. Even later in their career if he wants to shake things up. The thing to remember is that the lines are probably going to change quite a bit over the year. Guys get hurt, guys go into slumps, other guys start playing much better, and Hak will change things up to try and get better results. Most coaches will do that. Last year the lines didn't change as much toward the end of the season because everyone was playing or out hurt. But Hak will have a lot of players available, especially at the beginning of the season. So he will probably throw a lot of different combinations out on the ice to see what works and what doesn't. Trying to predict the lines right now is just an academic exercise, it probably won't have a lot of meaning in the real world.

Maybe not but everyone seens to be having a lot of fun with it though. I wonder if other fan sites like this spend this much time in August discussing this?

Maybe not but everyone seens to be having a lot of fun with it though. I wonder if other fan sites like this spend this much time in August discussing this?

This is fun! I'll give my predictions...

Rowney - Knight - Kristo

MacMillan - Grimaldi - Parks

O'Donnell - Gaarder - Rodwell

St. Clair - Pattyn - Chyzyk/Caggiula

I think Rowney is the only player that could step into Brock's role from last year.

As I've seen stated before, Hak likes Grimaldi at the Center position.

It's a bit of a stretch putting Gaarder up on the 3rd line but I like the combo and he played well at center late in the year last year.

I think Pattyn will likely see time on the 3rd line but he is a heck of an energy guy (as is Gaarder)

I have no idea about D pairings. We have plenty of studs on the blue line.

Be gentle, I'm a novice at hockey strategy.

Yeah but it's fun...u just like to disagree with certain people no matter what they post.