SiouxSports.com Forum

SBOHE

Fetch

This turned into a AL lovefest again

not much about the sbohe

That's because the SBoHE isn't the biggest problem. They've made some mistakes. But the biggest problem is Al Carlson and the rest of the people that are willing to destroy UND athletics to make a point. And some of them, like Carlson and Rob Port and Sean Johnson, are trying to make a point that isn't even related to the nickname.

What else has the board been doing that Carlson disagrees with, or is this just a nickname thing?

Carlson doesn't care about the nickname at all, he's just using it to rile up the masses against the SBHE. This is simply an attempt at a power grab.

Clueless Al's "thinking" on higher education was the subject of a number of conversations about the same time he decided to "save" the Sioux moniker for UND. I believe most UND and SU fans agreed on that point on this board. Anybody who's paying attention saw the moniker issue as a proxy for his own political agenda.

If Al wants to changed the law over who has control over governing the State Board of Higher Education, why doesn't he just come out and say it instead of dragging the UND Fighting Sioux nickname into the debate?

If Al wants to changed the law over who has control over governing the State Board of Higher Education, why doesn't he just come out and say it instead of dragging the UND Fighting Sioux nickname into the debate?

The law that set up the SBoHE is actually part of the North Dakota Constitution. He needs to have the citizens of North Dakota approve of the change. The easiest way to get that approval is to get the citizens mad at the SBoHE, mad enough to want to get rid of it. The nickname issue was an easy way to get a lot of people mad at the SB.

He can't get it done without expoiting an emotionally charged issue.

• Upvote 1

How predictable. Two of the biggest malefactors concerning the nickname and logo appearing to be balanced. Truth is stranger than fiction.

More and more people associated with the University, including coaches and others directly affected by the issue, have come out in favor of a name change. More and more former UND athletes, people that actually played under the Sioux name, have come out in favor of a name change. Many people that have been very active in the Alumni Association have come out in favor of a name change. And yet you denigrate them.

On the other hand, very few of the people leading the charge to keep the nickname seem to have a direct connection to the University. Isn't there a disconnect somewhere in that scenario?

• Upvote 2

More and more people associated with the University, including coaches and others directly affected by the issue, have come out in favor of a name change. More and more former UND athletes, people that actually played under the Sioux name, have come out in favor of a name change. Many people that have been very active in the Alumni Association have come out in favor of a name change. And yet you denigrate them.

On the other hand, very few of the people leading the charge to keep the nickname seem to have a direct connection to the University. Isn't there a disconnect somewhere in that scenario?

I and most of them have a direct connection as alums and as for many others, athletes and alums. There's nothing denigrating about stating the plain fact that those two have argued against the nickname and logo from virtually day one and they're stating the same thing that they've always stated, just a slightly different shade of the same colour. The native americans who are at the center of the dispute aren't as flippant about how expedible their traditions and ceremonies are.

I and most of them have a direct connection as alums and as for many others, athletes and alums.

It seems to me that Spirit Lake is leading the charge among the nickname proponents, at least as far as this petition goes. How many members of Spirit Lake's Committee for Understanding and Respect have a connection to UND?

I and most of them have a direct connection as alums and as for many others, athletes and alums. There's nothing denigrating about stating the plain fact that those two have argued against the nickname and logo from virtually day one and they're stating the same thing that they've always stated, just a slightly different shade of the same colour. The native americans who are at the center of the dispute aren't as flippant about how expedible their traditions and ceremonies are.

Maybe they understood from day one the trouble that was going to result and the slim chance of keeping the nickname. After all, they were much closer to the situation and probably understood the NCAA much better than most of us looking in from the outside.

It seems to me that Spirit Lake is leading the charge among the nickname proponents, at least as far as this petition goes. How many members of Spirit Lake's Committee for Understanding and Respect have a connection to UND?

Wha? You've got to be engaging in some sort of purposefuly use of irony or misstatement or some other form of writing/rhetoric device. The Committee AND the Tribe itself are the ones leading the charge and the people on SR who want their sacred pipe ceremony respected and acknowledged. They gave the nickname and logo to UND. They've had 80 years of history with UND. There's an INMED and a few other programs at UND that cater to the native americans, including the 2 Sioux tribes. There's at least an informal push to recruit native american students to UND, etc. Their Sioux nickname, something that even the NCAA acknowledges is "theirs" was given to UND via their tribal ceremonies. Their word and their traditions and customs are under assault by the NCAA (and by UND/SBoHE by their acquiescence). Need I go on? If these things aren't indicia of a connection to UND, I don't know what is.

Wha? You've got to be engaging in some sort of purposefuly use of irony or misstatement or some other form of writing/rhetoric device. The Committee AND the Tribe itself are the ones leading the charge and the people on SR who want their sacred pipe ceremony respected and acknowledged. They gave the nickname and logo to UND. They've had 80 years of history with UND. There's an INMED and a few other programs at UND that cater to the native americans, including the 2 Sioux tribes. There's at least an informal push to recruit native american students to UND, etc. Their Sioux nickname, something that even the NCAA acknowledges is "theirs" was given to UND via their tribal ceremonies. Their word and their traditions and customs are under assault by the NCAA (and by UND/SBoHE by their acquiescence). Need I go on? If these things aren't indicia of a connection to UND, I don't know what is.

I believe that he was looking for a direct personal connection. How many attended UND, or how many have had children or other family members that have attended? How many believe that they are actually doing what is right for the University because they are really interested in what is good for UND?